The MT-07 Forum

Cracked/broken plastics

sorkyah

• Global Moderator

I took off my seat yesterday to test fit my new turn signals based on @wickedtwister 's design. I noticed the 2 bolts that hold the tank plastics to the rear plastics were gone and the plastic surrounds broken. 5ce8ac1c21c39963959acf7bd8b53fe4.jpg84e945ebede5a47ec4b03c0baf2204cf.jpg

Along with pieces of the both fenders.
Anyone come across this issue yet?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

Wow, that is definitely not normal. It doesn't break off just like that, someone used excessive force. Who worked on your bike and when was the last time those panels came off? Is the screw still there somewhere?

• Premium Member

The first one definitely looks like a sheer break. I would guess this was done manually. Maybe somone tugging on the panels.

• Global Moderator

I have a service contract with the Ridenow dealership chain. Those particular bolts were last touched during my 8k service, im now at 9.6k.

The bolts are not anywhere to be found, neither or the bits of broken plastics.

The pieces were in tact on the ride out to Cali, i had to replace a blown fuse and didnt notice them broken then.

I had something similar happen on my Ninja 650R. Honestly I think I was putting on the seat at an angle, it didn't fit so I used force...

rotaryryan24

I've taken my plastics off well over a dozen times and have had no issues with anything breaking. They must have tightened those bolts down WAY to tight for that to happen.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Global Moderator

I'm with @ralph, Your dealer is an idiot and they are responsible for braking you stuff.

• Global Moderator

Well, i took it in and am now waiting for yamaha's approval. Theyre gonna try to warranty out all 5 panels. The one that sits between the seat and pillion is in the same shape

• Global Moderator

Why should this go through Yamaha warranty I wonder.
I would think that if some clumsy mechanic breaks something the dealer should just order the panels and pay that out of his own pocket, no questions asked.

• Global Moderator

Im not sure, but w/e if it means my panels get replaced, awesome. If not there'll be hell to pay. I dont think it right to charge the tech, but yes the dealership should have paid for the new panels. I work in a dodge dealership service dept, i know how these things go. As i stated above though it didnt happen right away. On the ride out to california i hit a rainstorm and blew my turn signal fuse. I didnt notice the damage then and that was about 800 miles after i got the 8k service done.

Curious what they did during the 8k mike service? Once that is determined, I would go over whatever else they touched very carefully,........

• Global Moderator

Finally heard back from Yamaha, got the new plastics coming in essentially getting a brand new dress for my girl. Essentially every panel is getting replaced.

Curious what they did during the 8k mike service? Once that is determined, I would go over whatever else they touched very carefully,........

As far as we can tell, the tech had the whole bike stripped down to frame. according to the logs and whatnot the service is supposed to take 3 hours, the tech ran just over 5 and had no other work at the time.  the tech performed a general inspection, chain CLA, replaced air filter, replaced spark plugs, cleaned and greased all pivots/cables, replaced fraying clutch cable(neither myself or the service adviser saw this), performed and oil change and throttle body sync. 

Archived