The MT-07 Forum

Short Wheel Base?

aeisan

Do any of you folks get comments about how short the wheel base is on the FZ-07?  I'm just curious, because I do all the time and have to tell them it's not that short.  It's only 0.7" shorter than an R1 and 0.7" longer than an R6.  It's "normal!" 

I guess is't just the height of the suspension? Or the lack of plastic fairings?  Maybe the rake angle? It's gotta be something, because I do agree it looks shorter than other bikes - but it's not, really.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

At the skills class I took, Lee Parks and a few others said they "loved the geometry" of my bike. I think the wheelbase is really short, but I'm comparing it to my low slung, long cruiser.

I think the 07 has a jaunty look to it, especially if the fender has been eliminated.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Wheelbases:

R1 55.7"
FZ-07 55.0"
R6 54.3"

Compared to the other, more popular Yamahas it's right in the middle.

Interesting Aeisan, 

coming off my last bike- CBR1000RR (55.3") I thought for sure the FZ was much shorter. 
Sure is much lighter and a hell of alot more nimble than the blade was.

If it had a lower profile, say lower handlebars and tank it would probably appear to be longer, IMO. No one has said mine looks like it has a short wheel base but about three guys at the Yamaha dealership have told me they love the look/sound of the Akrapovic carbon fiber pipe and one that test rode it loved how smooth the throttle was compared to his bike. I told him to get his bike a Dobeck EJK controller and get off my bike.  ;)

Beemer

9 times out of 10 the comments about the "short" wheelbase have been positive. Such as "man I love that shorter wheelbase" or "I really like how compact the wheelbase is."

When I went to look up just how short it was - I was surprised as anyone to see it's pretty normal.

• Premium Member

The tricks your mind plays on you...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Ya, people tell me it's short all the time, but usually comment on how they love how naked it is. Honestly, it looks interesting parked next to the 600cc bikes where I work. It's deceptively large.

Archived