The MT-07 Forum

Graphite/Blue FZ-07 in Baltimore, Maryland!

The Truth

Hi! My name is Lenny! I live in Baltimore Maryland!

I just finished the MSF course and got my bike license in the beginning of June! I'm 17 years old and new to riding! I just put down a 1500$ deposit on a liquid graphite black/blue trim FZ-07 today and figured it would be a great city/highway commuter for my last year of high school about a 22 mile round trip, half of it going through the city to get to my school in the county!

Anyway, i love the black one and so i must wait, even though the red one comes in a few days i figured I'd wait a month for the black/blue one! So i don't have to plasti-dip anything.

Anywho, i just figured since i'm planning a bunch of modifications to my FZ-07 and i am a new rider no better reason to join a forum with people who are familiar with the bike i am getting and motorcycles in general!

I hope she comes in soon! I can't wait!!! :D

(Oh, and i apologize for no pictures! But obviously i can't yet! I will post lot's especially of my mod's when i get it!)

P.S. I think some mods i have in mind are: (in order of importance)

1. Ride Scorpio Security System
2. ASV/Pazzo Shorty Levers
3. Definitely a louder exhaust, probably the Akra and I'll somehow remove the Cat/DB killer...
4. Clean up the Tail (looks like a crazy spaceship from star trek!)
5. Maybe Windscreen, not sure yet!

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

missourifz07

Lots of good info here on the bike and riding tips as well. Sounds like you're going to have a table full of upgrades before you get your bike, as well as being well informed. Enjoy!!

Yeah when i get a louder exhaust a fuel controller will definitely come shortly after!

Quick question, since the bike will be coming in a month or so, and the weather will be getting colder for the winter, (i plan to ride all winter as long as there's no ice/snow on the ground!), will i have to lower the amount of air in the tires for the winter season? I heard you're supposed to reduce the air in the tires so the contact patch gets a bit bigger and the bike sticks to the ground better?

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Okay! I thought so.

Also, I'm 5'7-5'8 and i sat on a bunch of bikes at the dealership including R1, R6, and the FZ6R and i could only use the tips for the R1 and R6, will the FZ-07 be able to be flat footed by me?

Also I'm around 180 pounds will i have to adjust the rear suspension? And will the FZ-07 be able to handle me plus my girlfriend? I don't plan on riding with a passenger since I'm just begging to ride and should take it easy, but further down the road i don't want to get into any trouble riding with a pillion on a 390 some pound light bike.

missourifz07

You should be fine with getting both feet flat with this bike. As far as the suspension, there are good posts on here about proper sag and it's importance. I think the owners manual say max capacity of weight is 400lbs but you better double check that.

Guest montana07

Welcome!

I'd bet you'll be able to flat foot the FZ-07, it had a low seat height, and it's also very narrow which will help.

Others with more experience will chime in, but from my minimal experience, yes, you'll probably want to adjust the suspension. I'm 170lbs sans gear and I stiffed her up a couple notches to the 5 settings. Might make some more adjustments but she feels pretty good.

By the way, awesome bike, especially for a 17 year old!

Okay great! And thanks! It took the old folks, especially mom, a while to convince but buying a 600$(like all my freaking money haha) Shoei RF-1200 Phantasm helmet and taking a 350$ MSF course i think convinced them I'm all about safety and riding for the fun and joy of riding cage-free not being a speed freak maniac!

And i apologize for asking all my questions here it's just i don't want to be a nuisance and clutter up with a new thread for every question i get!

But my final concern i have is this!

Since this is a naked bike, and all the engine and guts and bolts and wires show underneath, when i go to clean it, like spray all up inside of it with a hose, is that safe? Or will i cause rust or electrical damage by spraying a hose on the insides?

Also since winter will be a few days around the corner when my bike comes in besides changing the tire pressure for a lower setting, will i have to do anything else? I'll probably leave it outside since i do live in the city, and my mom won't let me bring it inside, so besides a solid weather proof cover and tire pressure will i have to make any more winter adjustments to protect my baby?

Killafornia

You will probably need some winter gears. I dont know abt u but I couldn't handle any temps under 60 with just my Icon Motorhead leather jacket. And I live in So Cal. Congrats with the new bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killafornia

Oh and you're gonna need more than that $600 helmet. I hope you have a complete gear coz your gonna it, specially that you're learning from that bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Global Moderator

Hey Lenny! Welcome and good to see your here.
You're not cluttering up the board with your questions. That's why it's here.

If you going to ride all winter, you might have to look into oil too. Or give the bike some time to warm up before riding.
Strangely enough, Yamaha recommends different oil when it gets hotter, but there is no mention of colder then normal weather but my snowmobile has 0W-30

oil.png

As for cleaning the bike, It' not going to hurt hosing it of. But remember to lube your chain afterwards. Do they salt the road where you live?

And like Cruizin says, gear is essential. Heated grips might be welcome and I would browse around in the snowmobile section of a gear store. There is pretty amazing stuff out there.

Thanks for the info everyone! I've just bookmarked this thread so when i get the bike i can make a list of all the things to keep in mind!

About the salting, yes very much so, here in Maryland as soon as you hear snow, to prevent any shutdowns, the salt trucks start coming out and the streets are covered in it.

Also when the bike comes in a month or so the dealer said after 600 miles i should take it to them back and change the oil, i asked if i should do it myself and the guy was really nice and said sure but i should take the first on to the dealership and he even offered to let me watch and all. It's a small family place that promotes mainly Yamaha and some Suzuki and Honda's. 

Anyway i was wondering about the break in. Should i just ride the 600 miles like regular riding or when I'm cruising on the freeway should i keep it in 6th and keep the revs down during the break in period? I want to take the best care of my bike i possibly humanly can. But i also hear these bikes are red lined at the factory.

I am hoping she will last me through my last year of high school this year all the way up to and through college where i can contemplate getting something bigger perhaps when i get funds. But for now I'm broke and looking for a job that's why i spent all my money on the most important gear, my helmet for now. Because i have my grandfathers old big thick leather jacket and leather gloves, big timberland boots, and until i get money just long pants for now.

I know anything can happen at any time. But for now I'll keep it off the twisties and just use it strictly to commute the 11 miles to and from school.

TwistedTorque

Anyway i was wondering about the break in. Should i just ride the 600 miles like regular riding or when I'm cruising on the freeway should i keep it in 6th and keep the revs down during the break in period? I want to take the best care of my bike i possibly humanly can. But i also hear these bikes are red lined at the factory.

There are religious wars about how to break in the bike. There is a bit of discussion here: http://fz07.org/thread/121/infamous-motoman-method-breaking-engine

IMO whatever you decide, nothing is going to 'destroy' the bike, so I wouldn't fret over it too much.

• Global Moderator

Salt is a big issue where I live. Ontario is the place where vehicles come to die.
One of the main reasons why I don't ride my bike in the winter. Because the FZ-07 is considered to be a 'budget' bike, it has a lot of ordinary metal bits instead of aluminum. So it would more prone to rust. If I were to drive all winter I wouldn't hesitate using some kind of rust preventive spray. Your bike might not look pretty, but it would be better protected against the elements.
Another thing to consider is the lack of grip. Your tires will probably have a hard time warming up and the roads will be covered with all sorts of stuff like sand and leaves so will have to really take it easy.
And last but not least, cagers (people in cars) will not be able to see you. Not only is it darker soon, but windshields fog up etc. so you will have to ride with highvis gear and as if everybody is out there to kill you.
I would probably just buy an old winter beater car and use it for the winter months, but that's just me.

Yeah I'm planning on toughing it out. I feel like I'm a real all year round biker at heart. It's been my passion to own one for a very long time.

Anyway since it is my first year riding I'll probably still ask my mom for a ride or two on the few days it might snow and salt will be on the ground. Definitely take the city streets with a bunch of lights to school during the winter and avoid the highway in the winter, don't really feel like low-siding in freezing weather on a highway with a million cars that want to run over my head.

And i sure want my "budget" FZ-07 to look pretty next summer after this winter so I'll make sure to never ride in snow/salt/ice/sludge.

Thanks for all the help, I'll definitely be having millions more questions as time goes by and i get my pretty little bike in a month!

For now i guess i'll just stalk you guys and read every single thread on this site and drool over pics. :D

Archived