The MT-07 Forum

Shift light

norcal616

• Premium Member

Anybody mount a shift light yet???

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

Why? No need to. Just know by the sound of an engine. That almost sounds as bad as putting in a huge flavor flav size TACHOMETER in a honda civic and lets not forget to add a fire extinguisher on the passenger side =).

• Premium Member

Well I'm 95% deaf...I go by the feel of the vibrations when to shift but once it gets past 7k rpms they kinda feel the same to me... I'm looking at a small pen light style one that I would like to mount on the underside of my windscreen since the windscreen bubble is right in my field of view...

And I'm thinking about adding a pool cue shifter insted of the stock shifter (rofl)

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

The shift light I am leaning towards is the MSD 8963

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

Ok I feel stupid now. I don't think anyone has added a shift light. If you do happen to do it then maybe you'd be helping someone else out.

• Premium Member

It's all good... No need to feel stupid...

thomascrown

With the stock exhaust, you can tell when to shift since the power drops off precipitously, but with an aftermarket system, I find myself running into the limiter all the time. Shift light would be nice.

botbullet0
With the stock exhaust, you can tell when to shift since the power drops off precipitously
Does changing to an aftermarket system really help that much with top end? Does that include slip ons or just full systems?

thomascrown

I don't know about the slip ons, I have a graves full system. Without the db killer, it pulls to the limiter, but low end is not as strong. Installing PCV in the next couple of days, so hopefully the extra timing down low will bring torque back to where it used to be.

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

An aftermarket exhaust system isn't going to make any difference top end wise with this bike. It will help a little in the bottom to midrange. These bikes aren't made to be high speed monsters. A slip on will only make the bike run leaner without a fuel controller since it will be more free flowing. Even more so with a full system since you will be eliminating the catalytic converter. How often do you think you'd need top end anyway? Hardly ever. It would be better to have more useable low and midrange.

An aftermarket exhaust system isn't going to make any difference top end wise with this bike. It will help a little in the bottom to midrange. These bikes aren't made to be high speed monsters. A slip on will only make the bike run leaner without a fuel controller since it will be more free flowing. Even more so with a full system since you will be eliminating the catalytic converter. How often do you think you'd need top end anyway? Hardly ever. It would be better to have more useable low and midrange.

Dunno about yuh'all but I'm at 9k fairly often :) not sustained, but on accel. Whomp whomp

And I'm totally not trying to be that jerk telling people they are wrong, but does anyone have AF ratio dyno charts. There is sooo much more that goes into AF than just opening exhaust. I've been curious to see these charts. What pulse width % does the bike run stock? Is opening the exhaust really enough to max out the pulse width. The air intake is still a restriction that hasn't been change.....

Geez, if it is running that lean, I'm screwed! :) headed out to the country next weekend and doing more top speed runs. Indicated 128 for 15 seconds. If the top end is lean I'm cooking that engine!

• Premium Member

I found my exhaust let's the bike pull harder from low midrange and up...took the ole girl to the track tonight and found that she will run 12.8 with use of clutch to shift or 12.4 via powershifting... The problem is the front end is soooooo light it likes to stay up when launching hard...my 60' avg was 1.9...the bike with full tank and myself in full leathers was 562 lbs...next step is ECU reflash...

thomascrown
I found my exhaust let's the bike pull harder from low midrange and up...took the ole girl to the track tonight and found that she will run 12.8 with use of clutch to shift or 12.4 via powershifting... The problem is the front end is soooooo light it likes to stay up when launching hard...my 60' avg was 1.9...the bike with full tank and myself in full leathers was 562 lbs...next step is ECU reflash...
What was your trap speed, and 1/8th mile time?

• Premium Member

1.9 avg @ 60'...5.5 avg in 330' ...8.45 avg at 1/8 @ 81.5 mph avg...10.9 avg for 1k feet @ 92.5 mph avg... 13.15 avg @ 103 mph avg for 1/4 mile... the above posting was my best and my buddy was the one powershifting and I don't have his time slips... next time I go to the track it will be with an ECU reflash...I forsee the bike running just under 12's

thomascrown

Very nice. We only have an 8th mile here, and my cousin did a 7.84 in his 100k Nissan GTR. If I can get there with a 7k bike, it will infuriate him. So that's the plan at the moment.

Very nice. We only have an 8th mile here, and my cousin did a 7.84 in his 100k Nissan GTR. If I can get there with a 7k bike, it will infuriate him. So that's the plan at the moment.
That would be so, so satisfying.

thomascrown
That would be so, so satisfying.
Tell me about it lol.   
I think a full exhaust, tune, airbox mod will get me there, but I also think a screen that one can tuck in behind will be instrumental in the backhalf of the track when getting into the high double digit speeds.  Lemme install the powercommander i have sitting here, and mod my airbox, and see what she can do.  

• Premium Member

Me and my buddy think it will break into high 11's with an ECU reflash...and yes its a nice feeling too beat ppl who spend 100k on a car and it gets beat by a Lil 700cc bike...I hAve no intentions of using a fuEl controller till its needed...an ECU reflash will add at least 5-6 hp and at least 5 pounds of torque...also we are thinking that we may have to make a wheelie bar since swing arm extentions are outta the equation for now to really get a good hard launch...the way these bikes launch under drag conditions reminds me of doing gate drops on a yz450f to the "T"...

thomascrown

I think it won't be as wheelie prone with a decent rear shock that can control some of the squatting the bike does in first and second. Either way, there are a lot of ways to improve the bike, and 11s are definitely attainable.

• Premium Member

I agree Thomas... I'm open to hearing ideas on how to make the bike break into the 11's... The suspension issues is on my list of things to do with a few other items...the wheelie bar is something we have on hand from a previous bike that is no longer spinning it's wheels  :-[...

Archived