The MT-07 Forum

Leaving bike in the rain

yamahappy74

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

What kind of damage should I expect from doing this regularly? I'm going to buy a cover for it, but for now, it's just sitting outside in the rain because I moved and no longer have a garage to store it in. I also picked up a disc lock and blocked it in with my car so it shouldn't get stolen.

• Premium Member

Bikes are meant to take some rain but at the same time like anything made out of metal, it will start to rust. I wouldn't keep in the rain unless you are riding somewhere as you can also damage your electronics.

pantheraleo

I have a basement for truly bad inclement weather with an exterior entrance, so at times my 20 yr old son must share his basement with my beloved bike. However, I just purchased this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200333505_200333505?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Tarps,%20Canopies%20%2B%20Shelters%20%3E%20Utility%20Sheds&utm_content=65830&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=65830&gclid=CJO0isGPksYCFYSPHwod-mYAVg

...as storage for my bike. The plan is to build a 6X6 base of 4x4's and 3/4" plywood to put the shed on in my driveway...but that plan could change, too. In any case, the cost of the "shed" is 149 (plus 30 shipping) which is pretty cheap in the scheme of things. If this holds up as well as the reviews say, I will have a temporary storage solution for a couple of years. It could help some of you in a similar predicament.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

My Ninja 650r got poured on ALL the time from May-Oct (yay SE Asia rainy season) as it was my DD. Nothing ever bad happened, just make sure you keep that chain cleaned and lubed.
The scooters we had, screw it. Run em until things break, pay $5 to have em fixed.

I live in Portland, Oregon and ride all year. My bike is now my only transportation, by choice. I have been daily-commuting on a bike for about three years now. The FZ saw a toooooon of rain last winter. Everything on the bike still works but I'll leave you with a few notes:

1. I don't know if its a cheaper build quality, but you will see extremely minor surface rust pop up here and there. It's almost negligible, but it will happen. And you can remedy it quickly.

2. The spring on the end of the clutch cable (near your right foot) will rust and since it moves often it makes a little red rust powder layer in the general area around the spring. I'm talking a very small area, like inch. This can be avoided by putting some lubricant on the spring when it is clean and dry.

3. The display is not water proof, only water resiatant. Last winter mine had moisture build up inside and made it hard to read some of the info. This can probably also be negated. Now that it's warm and dry, I'll put some clear grease in the seam. You won't even see the grease and it will keep all moisture out.

Other than that, absolutely no problems at all. Is it better to keep you bike dry? Yes! Is it bad to leave it in the rain, no! :) this is coming from three winters of experience in a very wet city. Yes, there is the potential from something unfavorable, but I have had no problems that weren't easily resolved.

• Premium Member

@bigity has some great tips! I especially like [HASH]3.

If a cover is what you'd like to invest in, I think a half cover (just covers the top, doesn't go all the way down) would be ideal for transportation. This way, you don't have to worry about the cover and the exhaust or any other hot parts touching; and it'll be smaller to pack when you're on the go.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

thomascrown

Mine is ridden rain or shine, and sits outside 99 percent of the time. Minor surface rust is an issue, and will appear in areas of the frame where they couldn't spray paint. Other than that, it's been fine.

• Premium Member

Strike-hold! (Or suitable alternative)

After a good washing I take a rag soaked with the stuff and wipe down all the fasteners and metal bits, even the rotors get a very light wiping. It has protected my bikes surfaces really well.

It's a dry metal conditioner that is safe on practically everything (painted, plastic, etc) and displaces/repels water extremely well. It's also good for keeping electronics tidy and safe. You could drop a laptop in a bucket of the stuff and it would not short out.

Not only prevents rust, but it will actually remove it. (Not entirely if it's deep or very porous however.)

Everything went braap.

thomascrown

Sweet! Thanks for the tip, I'll do that since it sounds more convenient than what I was planning. I was gonna slap por 20 over all the lightly painted areas as a preventive measure.

I suspect though that even if the rust is left completely untreated, the frame will likely last longer than the engine. Or my mortal body for that matter.

• Premium Member
Sweet! Thanks for the tip, I'll do that since it sounds more convenient than what I was planning. I was gonna slap por 20 over all the lightly painted areas as a preventive measure.  
I suspect though that even if the rust is left completely untreated, the frame will likely last longer than the engine. Or my mortal body for that matter.

I agree with you there, but I figure prevention is still the key.

It's a good product to have if you try it out. Great on stuck bolts and so forth. Literally 1,000 uses & better than WD-40 for most everything.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator
So many bad memories with POR products, restored a 58 chevy del ray and used por 15 for the initial sound deadening/sealant. Stuf just wouldnt come off

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

My Ninja 650r got poured on ALL the time from May-Oct (yay SE Asia rainy season) as it was my DD. Nothing ever bad happened, just make sure you keep that chain cleaned and lubed. The scooters we had, screw it. Run em until things break, pay $5 to have em fixed.

Same here, my old 500 was in some pretty big rain storms. You shouldn't expect anything different than leaving your car out in the rain. Some people are so scared to get a little water on their bikes, never understood it.

thomascrown

The funny thing about most sport bike owners I've come across is that they never wash their bikes. They'll maybe use like a quick detailer on the fairings, or some kind of dry wash stuff, but nothing to ever get it wet.

Every last one has a thick layer of caked on grime on the wheels, and mechanical bits. At least the plastics are clean (but scratched to hell from all the dry wiping).

Harbor frieght usually has a fabric garage for 175 10x17. Idk if you would be interested. Look for a coupon

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I really appreciate all the encouraging words and info. I have never been in a position where I owned a bike and didn't have a garage to put it in, and with this being a brand new bike, I have been worried about it. I can't have rust on a bike with 250 miles on it; it'll kill me. Good news is that I should finally be able to get out and ride a bit this weekend (Fathers Day), provided the weather cooperates. I plan to give her a bath and then I'll grease up anything that needs protection.

bmwpowere36m3

Its definitely a LOT more work keeping the bike looking good... However don't expect it to fair as well as a garaged bike. Covers are good for keeping the bike from getting wet, but then they also trap moisture in. When the wind blows they act as an "abrasive" cloth against the bodywork.

Personally if I had to keep a bike outside, I'd buy a used bike in decent shape, cover it, just leave it out there and clean it once in a while. Have you considered theft as well?

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

It's boxed in pretty good and I have a disc lock on it. I was thinking about getting the fuggetaboudit chain but honestly, I'm not all that worried due to where it's situated. It would be pretty damned hard to get it out of where I have it. A thief would have to lift it up over my car with almost no room to work with.

What kind of damage should I expect from doing this regularly? I'm going to buy a cover for it, but for now, it's just sitting outside in the rain because I moved and no longer have a garage to store it in. I also picked up a disc lock and blocked it in with my car so it shouldn't get stolen.
Cheap cover: tarp and some bungee cords at Walmart.

Beemer

Archived