The MT-07 Forum

Long/short term storage... Low use question

roadrunner

This might be a silly question, but hopefully you guys have some tips. Because of my job circumstances, I don't get to use my bike too much during the week. But I do use it a lot on the weekend. During the week I store it in the backyard, and put on a cover.

My question is, is there any possible negative effects from leaving it parking in the sun(but with a cover on it) for 4-5 days?

• Global Moderator

I would think your biggest concern would be the cover fading. If it was sitting more than a week or two I would put it on a battery tender, although that might not be a good idea with it being outside.

@yamahaha its not chained up, but the backyard is pretty safe. And usually someone is always home anyway. But I may also leave it in a garage, but I'm not really supposed to. I'm not really worried about theft, more so about the sun or the engine/battery

@mjh937 if the cover fades does that damage the bike in anyway?(like the fading causing the sun to penetrate and damage the paint or something. Just throwing out ideas)
Otherwise I don't care about the cover. Will just buy another if it fades. The bike should not be sitting there longer than a week. Max will be 5 days. Could that harm the battery or make the oil become less viscous from sitting there so long?

I'm noob in this so my concerns might be completely unfounded lol

• Premium Member

There's not much to worry about besides wildlife and bad weather. If you have a tender, use it otherwise no biggie.

Don't fill your gas tank to the brim and put it under the cover, in the sun. Don't want it to expand and overflow.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

There is concern about having a cover on it out in the sun. The only thing the cover does is protect it from the elements. Not necessarily the heat and UV rays the sun is blasting down on the bike underneath the cover. The bike can still be damaged under the cover out in the sun. I would put it in the garage where it can breathe freely and not be under the sun.

Dang, alright I guess I'll leave it in the garage whenever I can. The garage is more like storage, and its behind my car. So to open the doors i gotta move my car then take out the bike. I guess i can leave it in the when i wont be using it for a few days.

As for the battery, I don't have a battery tender. Will 4-5 days really be enough to need a battery tender?

bmwpowere36m3

Other than moisture and rust… no. The battery should hold just fine, even a couple of weeks without riding. Same with fuel.

• Premium Member
Dang, alright I guess I'll leave it in the garage whenever I can. The garage is more like storage, and its behind my car. So to open the doors i gotta move my car then take out the bike. I guess i can leave it in the when i wont be using it for a few days.  
As for the battery, I don't have a battery tender. Will 4-5 days really be enough to need a battery tender?
Your battery will be fine. Might need a boost if its been sitting for over 6 months. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Archived