The MT-07 Forum

Burnt Plastic Smell/Leaking water pump

jd762bone

What's going on fellas? This is my first post on this forum, but im not new to enthusiast forums. I'm a regular memeber on Tacoma World. I ran into trouble today, my bike is producing a burnt plastic smell. My FZ has just under 5k on it. Also, I maintain it in accordance with the manual. I noticed it today after I installed my new renthal ultra low bars (freakin sweet btw). It's very difficult to pinpoint the smell but it seems to be coming from the top of the motor. Upon inspection I noticed that there is an area that is collecting grime by my waterpump. After giving a better look at my water pump, it has a very slight leak right below the lower coolant tube that goes into the pump (sheet). So now I have two issues on my hands. I want to take it to the shop but im worried they won't warranty it because the water pump has a nice scratch in it from the bike being knocked over (long story). I've already used the search function and found 1 guy with a leaking water pump, warrantied and fixed. Also, I'm moving from Cali to Louisiana in a week so I won't have time to bring it to a dealer.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to chatting with you guys and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Ralph

If the bikes been over and hit the pump it could be it as distorted something and so you are
getting a leak, if the dealer does not notice the mark he may just change it under warranty
probably worth a go, leaking hot coolant does have a strange smell, I would check the coolant
level as if it gets to low overheating will kill the engine.

• Premium Member

Either way it needs to be fixed so......

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Either way it needs to be fixed so......

Exactly take it to dealer and let them decide if they are going to charge an arm and a leg or spend the 60 bucks on a new cover and seals do it my self and save the hassle. Thanks Jake.

The scratch on the pump is obvious and I have kept an eye on my coolant levels and Op temps. I'm more worried about the burning smell.

:edit: found the smell. I inspected the whole length of the header and there is a nice sized melted piece of plastic. I some how must have picked it up while riding aound the about where your O2 sensor plugs into the mid pipe

As far as the water pump leak I'm on top of it thanks for the responses.

Archived