The MT-07 Forum

Clutch lever

jbird

Do you ever find your clutch lever freeze up on you or get hard to pull ? issue I'm having driving me madI just put a brand new clutch cable in a month ago, it was great for a couple weeks, and then getting frozen again, I've inspected and tried just about everything

• Premium Member

is it the stock OEM lever or an aftermarket clutch lever?

I believe tightening or loosing the pivot bolt shouldn't matter, because the lever whole itself pivots on a hollow cylinder cap

If I mentioned, I did lubricate both the cable and lever parts, it would work for maybe 100 miles and then go back to the present problem

Maybe the pushrod is bent of something's up with the spring on the engine side of things. Or even Maybe the lube you added got tacky and is making things worse.

I see a small recessed hole in the spring cap on the throttle side, when installing, is this spring suppose to be lined up with the engraved upward arrow on the clutch casing, ?...this would be a guide I'm assuming when the lever is not pulled back for the correct amount of slack on the cables end, (the cable end of the throttle side as I'm referring to )

The original cable frayed, and no it's still the stock lever
Did you determine what caused the cable to fray in the first place? Anything that causes enough wear on a cable to fray that quickly could easily cause a binding issue as well. How did you fix the original source of the problem?

Also, the pivot bolt/nut CAN be over tightened. Go too far and it simply won't budge at all. It's an easy thing to check. You want snug but not tight.

Finally, check the clutch friction discs and steels for abnormal wear. It's a easy job - just pay attention to the stacking order so it goes back in correctly. Barnett makes great stuff if you need to replace the pack. However, the focus again is to determine the root cause before you spend money on replacing parts.

Yes the bike tipped over while standing still, and the clutch lever bent slightly ...about a month later I noticed the fray after not thinking much about it...do you think I should replace the lever

After replacing the old cable with the new one, keep in mind I routed the cable exactly in place of the old one....I saw instant and improved results, then about 200 miles later the same problem (sticky or hard lever pull back) began to fester once again, ....

And I'll be fucking damned if I'm going to to start messing with clutch plates, I highly doubt that is an issue, as the bike behaves and shifts through gears normally, the main issue here is the lever being abnormally hard to pull, and it's quite a distinct difference from how the bike normally felt when I first bought it, and also after I replaced the cable....the real puzzle I'm trying to find, is what is causing the friction in the lever or cable, and how to solve it without being mech savy, and resist taking the bike to a dealer all the time when there's a minor issue, I'm so fucking annoyed by how to solve this....on top of that, I've been annoyed with disassembling the lever after every ride and lubricating, when it's simply not solving the problem

Ouch, sorry to hear about the spill. Two things - on the clutch cover, the arrow is supposed to line up with the dimple on the lever above. Second, if your rod got bent, it should be replaced. I have a feeling that is likely what's causing the issue and will probably continue to get worse with more and more pulls.

It's really hard to troubleshoot over the Internet. Since you dropped the bike and bent the clutch lever I would say that would be your more probable issue. The lever could be bent at the pivot or even the perch got bent. You can post some pictures but honestly the best way to know is to look at it and see how it behaves. Any friction marks (scratches, missing paint) on the perch/lever?

Unscre the pivot and disconect the cable. Does the lever move smoothly?

I'll try pulling the lever without the cable as mentioned, and hit you back with some pics, thanks for the help

Guest Ralph

If it started after the bike went down then I would have
a very careful look at anything that may be bent or out
of line, could the lever be kinked so the barrel on the end
of the cable is not free to rotate in the lever?

Post a good, clear pic showing the clutch cable emerging from in front of the headlight and going into the clutch lever holder.
Also, if you still have it, post a pic showing the fraying of the old cable.

Hard to see a glaringly obvious problem in the pics. Do still feel the binding w/o the clutch cable in the lever? That will determine if the problem is in the lever mechanism or somewhere further down the cable.

Also, when you removed the lever pivot bolt, was it bent? Did it come out with little/no resistance? The clutch side also uses a steel bushing - does that easily slide in and out of the lever?

After taking apart again, I didn't notice the lever was a bit hard to push back in place, and line up with the screw hole within the lever housing as seen in pics 2 and 3. The only way to truly find out is go ahead and purchase a new lever,. The white film you see is the lithium Greese I used. The bolt was not bent at all, and the steel bushing did easily come out and was also NOT bent. After another go at lubrication, the problem is still unchanged. If I purchase a factory lever, does it come with a new screw and bushing?

Archived