The MT-07 Forum

Clutch lever

jbird

In your first pic:

See how the clutch cable is further away from the ignition switch and the handlebar switch wires are closer to the ignition switch?
Reverse those positions so the clutch cable won't have as sharp a bend before it enters the clutch lever holder.
Easy to do and worth a shot, as it sounds to me that your cable wire is rubbing on the cable sheath and/or the adjusting bolt the cable butts up against.
If it's not that, I couldn't tell you what it is.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Those wire positions are exactly where there suppose to be if I reverse them, it will create more bend, which doesn't make sense...I routed the cable in exact place of the old one by zip tying end to end and pulling through, there's no way that is the dilemma, as I mentioned, the lever pull back was quite easy, when I installed the new cable but after 1000m now the stiff lever pullback has begin to surface once again

bmwpowere36m3

Not that it matters to the clutch issue, but the harness for the LCD instrument panel should go around the outside of the (left-hand, clutch-side) handlebar clamp and NOT between the two of them.

I don't see anything obvious… this issue cropped up after the drop, correct?

Did you route the new cable exactly like the old one? If the clutch lever was bent in the fall, I'd start scrutinizing: the lever, bushing, mounting bolt and clutch perch; making sure nothing is bent and that the lever moves freely in the perch with it bolted up and the clutch cable NOT attached.

Any pics of the right-hand side, at the engine, clutch actuating arm on the side cover? Post some pics of the cable routing from the actuating arm on the engine, thru the frame, across the top of the valve cover, thru the frame guide (IIRC on the left-hand side), inside of fork leg and up thru another guide and up out the top of the headlight shroud.

The cable routing out the headlight shroud as YZEtc mentioned isn't correct, however I don't think it'll change the curvature of the cable much if any… but its worth a shot.

OK.
Just update this thread if you discover the cause.

I'll tell you this:
My bike had the same ailment you describe here.
My solution was to route the clutch cable as I described to stop the cable wire from exiting the cable sheath at an angle and rubbing it, causing friction.

bmwpowere36m3

I just looked at my bike and the service manual… the wires are where their supposed to be.  On mine it does seem like the clutch cable is being pushed outward, just very slightly, by the LCD harness.

So I dunno myself… could be a typo in the service manual. But I'm not having issues myself (only 1300 miles so far).

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-16%20at%2011.22.07%20PM.png

[HASH]3 is the clutch cable, [HASH]4 is left handlebar switch harness, [HASH]18 is the instrument harness

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-16%20at%2011.23.03%20PM.png

[HASH]1 is the instrument harness in this pic and the clutch cable has the three big black stripes

Mine looks exactly the same. Lol. I'm putting a new lever on today, and will update with results, stand by everyone cross your fingers

Archived