The MT-07 Forum

bar end removal

medieval

This may sound trite but I'm having trouble with the bar end screws. They are Torx head, the T-40 wrench is too big and the T-30 wrench is a sloppy fit. What am I missing?

There are seemingly 2 sizes of hex that can fit in the bar end. Use the smaller inner one.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

bmwpowere36m3

The inner looks like a torx... but I couldn't find one to fit well. I used a 8 mm (IIRC) allen on the "outer" one.

Really, an inner torx? I just used a std allen key - can't remember the size.

The entire weight unscrews from the bar on this bike. You could use a rubber strap wrench found in the plumbing isle of the home store

• Premium Member

• Premium Member

And don't forget to get the ratchet for the socket size you get, I'd go 3/8ths

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Different bar ends? I used a hex key with vise grips on the end to remove my bar ends.
Sounds like you need a set of these: 

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/099198/099198852263lg.jpg

They are so nice..

Edit: I used an 8mm allen socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet.

I have some. I just didn't feel like going to get them. They were on there pretty tight for me.

Had a closer look at my bar ends (now in a box). And amazingly, they do have a very shallow Torx recess down inside that 8mm hex hole. The actual size is T27. Would not makes sense to use this over an 8mm allen socket however. There's just not enough depth to the hole. Couldn't even begin to guess why it's there.

• Global Moderator
Had a closer look at my bar ends (now in a box). And amazingly, they do have a very shallow Torx recess down inside that 8mm hex hole. The actual size is T27. Would not makes sense to use this over an 8mm allen socket however. There's just not enough depth to the hole. Couldn't even begin to guess why it's there.
Possibly for overall torque spec. Torx bits transfer torque more efficiently than a standard hex by providing higher surface area for contact. Also less likely to strip when tools are used properly.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Possibly for overall torque spec. Torx bits transfer torque more efficiently than a standard hex by providing higher surface area for contact. Also less likely to strip when tools are used properly.
perhaps,  but the depth of the Torx portion can't be much more than 2. or maybe 2.5mm or so. It's in there, but given the choice between a torx bit with little purchase and a nice deep hex hole - well, that's not a choice. 

hmm, not how i read it, or re-read

If there was no 8mm allen socket that teeny torx hole in the bottom was out at the end instead, we'd have a lot of folk (heh, heh, dealers especially) using vice grips to unscrew those weights.

I got annoyed and since I didn't know if the barend was solid (so I could grab the outside) I got more aggressive. I used the T-40 Torx and my socket driver.....They are now in a box with the mirrors. I have installed bar end mirrors. Thanks for the replies.

• 5 weeks later...
perhaps,  but the depth of the Torx portion can't be much more than 2. or maybe 2.5mm or so. It's in there, but given the choice between a torx bit with little purchase and a nice deep hex hole - well, that's not a choice. 
Hello All, 
I just tried it with a Torx T27 (don't have a 8mm allen), and it totally stripped.. bummer. Yeah, seems like there's just not enough depth. I really tried to get right in there too ..with patience ;)  Gonna go out and get the 8mm. Thought this could help.

• 1 year later...

I am attempting to take this bar end off now. I have a nice set of T-Handle allen wrenches, the 4mm is too small and the 5mm is too big. How did someone use an 8mm?

Anyone else use something else? I can't believe they are standard...ha.
Everything else is metric.

Oh, nevermind, I was looking right past that 8mm allen wrench forest to see the oddly sized inner hole (tree). thanks anyway

I am attempting to take this bar end off now. I have a nice set of T-Handle allen wrenches, the 4mm is too small and the 5mm is too big. How did someone use an 8mm?  
Anyone else use something else? I can't believe they are standard...ha.
Everything else is metric.
not sure a T handle wrench will give you enough leverage to break those free. The threaded bolt part of that weight on the inside of the bar is pretty big - 14mm or something. 
Unless it's been changed, the OE weight on my 2015 has an internal 8mm hex socket in its end.

Oh, nevermind, I was looking right past that 8mm allen wrench forest to see the oddly sized inner hole (tree). thanks anyway
yer referring to that very shallow T27 part at the bottom of that great big 8mm forest?  

Forget the inner very shallow T27 Torx bolt, it will stripped right away (know I tried it at first too). You need to unscrew the bigger HEX part of the bar end (not sure sizing) but put your (common HEX key) all the way in and apply some force (counterclock wise) and it will break lose. It's a big threaded bolt (that bar end) so it won't break no worries.