The MT-07 Forum

Dragon's Tail, North Carolina

bud14

Don't ride beyond your ability.  The Dragon slays those who push too hard.  Enjoy the curves and the view, but not at the same time ;)

Planning a Dragon's Tail trip in August....any advice?

Good news, trucks cannot use that road anymore. But take it slow and watch out for the cops.
And smile when that guy takes pictures of you on a curve. You will like it better when you go buy that picture at the end of the road.

• Premium Member

You will LOVE this road!!! My only advice...respect it, and your abilities.

Many moons ago, I had the chance to experience the Dragon in my semi-track prepped Subaru WRX. I was on a road trip across the country for another purpose and was going to pass right by it. I ended up making a detour and stayed at the Dragon for 2 days just to let the weather clear so I could experience it.

Best of all, is that I got it all on video :)

[video src=https://youtu.be/y7kEj3HxRzA]

I took a trip down there just a couple months ago and had a blast. I had only had the FZ07 for about a month, so I took it pretty easy. It was my second time riding the gap, the first being about 15 years prior on a cbr600. I also loved the Blue Ridge Parkway to the east and the Foothills Parkway north of the Dragon.  Here's one of the videos from my trip.

[video src=https://youtu.be/nKV_G_cPQiI]

scordiaboy515
You will LOVE this road!!! My only advice...respect it, and your abilities. 
Many moons ago, I had the chance to experience the Dragon in my semi-track prepped Subaru WRX. I was on a road trip across the country for another purpose and was going to pass right by it. I ended up making a detour and stayed at the Dragon for 2 days just to let the weather clear so I could experience it.

Best of all, is that I got it all on video :)

Pretty cool Paulie.....kudos 8-)

[video src=https://youtu.be/y7kEj3HxRzA]

scordiaboy515
Good news, trucks cannot use that road anymore. But take it slow and watch out for the cops. And smile when that guy takes pictures of you on a curve. You will like it better when you go buy that picture at the end of the road.

agree, that's good advice 

• Premium Member

I've been on the dragon but because of what it has become I stay clear of it. I'm not saying not to go because you should. But I like the roads off the beaten path. Look up google maps and you can find some of the best roads in the US and the speed limit is 55mph and traffic can be almost nonexistent depending on time of day. West Virginia has some of the Best roads IMO and the ones off the Blue Ridge.

30 mph speed limit blows IMO and 55 is great given I drive 10 over and that's about as fast as you want to go and be safe other wise go to the track.

FYI I've go out there every year I can I love it out there. So far only in cars which were a 2001 SS ( 11.7 1/4 car) and my Z06 some day I'll get a bike out there.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

fooschnickens
Good news, trucks cannot use that road anymore.
It's illegal for them, but they still use it anyway. This photo was taken by Killboy just last week and pretty much every update on their site features at least one semi clogging up the road and several polite bikers riding ahead to signal for people to slow down. 
As for the OP, take it easy. It's a fun road and it's very easy to get in over your head very quickly. Just drive like a granny until you get familiar with the road, make use of the pull-off areas (most of which are now paved, yay!) when people get stacked up behind you, and don't let anyone else set your pace.

Also, check out Blueridge Parkway, Cherehola Skyway and The Snake (US421). They're roads that I would say are more enjoyable and some better (technically speaking) than the Dragon. Less crowded, more riding ;)

• Premium Member

When were you going? I've been trying to come up from FL for a while now to hit it so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it. Wanting to come up around the end of August.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

amycyclenut

Stay on your side of the road.

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
Good news, trucks cannot use that road anymore.
It's illegal for them, but they still use it anyway. This photo was taken by Killboy just last week and pretty much every update on their site features at least one semi clogging up the road and several polite bikers riding ahead to signal for people to slow down. 
As for the OP, take it easy. It's a fun road and it's very easy to get in over your head very quickly. Just drive like a granny until you get familiar with the road, make use of the pull-off areas (most of which are now paved, yay!) when people get stacked up behind you, and don't let anyone else set your pace.

Also, check out Blueridge Parkway, Cherehola Skyway and The Snake (US421). They're roads that I would say are more enjoyable and some better (technically speaking) than the Dragon. Less crowded, more riding ;)

the snake sucks.  i go there any chance i can and thats exctly why no one else should go. 

its too technical.  its unforgiving.  people die falling off the mountain.  the food is bad.  its a dry county.  the air smells funny. the locals are mean.  theres a speed limit.  deer.  truckers.  aliens.

the snake is just terrible.  dont go.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived