The MT-07 Forum

For all you MotoGP fans...(video inside)

pgeldz

• Premium Member

In doing some research for my Laguna Track Day video, I came across some footage of the 500cc Grand Prix era.

If you think the MotoGP stars of today are talented, watch these legends control these 2-stoke BEASTS.

My jaw was on the floor in awe the entire time watching this vid...

Enjoy!

:)

- Paulie

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_WAeCe8oE]

• Premium Member

There is nothing like the powerband of a two stroke. It is a real shame that big manufacturers cant produce them anymore. I was just a wee little guy in 85' but, It seems that they simply didn't realize at the time when they wheelie that high on acceleration, they are losing some of the torque going to the ground (im likely explaining that technically wrong but you know what I mean). It also seems they are dropping the clutch to get that wheel off the ground. You really cannot knock the way they are riding though....dudes are jammin!

I can't see the vid at work, but I'll check it out when I get home this evening for sure.

If you guys have Netflix, look up two great MotoGP documentaries on there... One is called Faster (2003) and the other is the sequel called Fastest (2011).

Faster goes back to the Rossi/Biaggi era in 2001-2002.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368721/

From IMDb:

The first film to go inside the MotoGP world since television took a sport watched by a few thousand spectators at race tracks and turned it into prime-time entertainment for over 350 million people worldwide. The MotoGP world championship is the pinnacle of motorcycle sport, a series of sixteen races on five continents contested by twenty-four of the world's top riders. Filmed around the world during the 2001 and 2002 seasons, FASTER asks this question: How do you go faster than the rest, how do you win at this glamorous, dangerous game? The movie could be subtitled: How do you beat Valentino Rossi? The 24 year old Italian, world champion in 2001 and 2002, currently dominates MotoGP, and he's the charismatic center of the film. In addition, FASTER focuses on three other riders: Rossi's bitter rival Max Biaggi; the brilliant but injury-prone Garry McCoy; and the rising teenage star John Hopkins. Tales told by a supporting cast include former world champions including Mick Doohan, Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Rainey, Kenny Roberts and Barry Sheene.
Fastest covers the Rossi/Lorenzo battle in 2010.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1721677/

From IMDb:
Shot around the world in 2010 and 2011 and narrated by Ewan McGregor, 'Fastest' captures the intense and thrilling reality of the MotoGP World Championship, documenting a pivotal moment in the sport. With Valentino Rossi chasing his tenth World Championship title the Italian ran into one of the toughest challenges of his career: a crop of exceptionally fast young competitors, a horrific leg break at his home race, and an amazing comeback little over 40 days later. Confronting such a monumental task and with rival Jorge Lorenzo taking the 2010 title, Rossi faced up to one of the most testing years in his illustrious career and along with his fellow competitors was left asking: Who is the fastest rider now?- Written by www.motogp.com
Both are great documentaries and I highly suggest you all watch them (for free) if you have Netflix.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

Horrible incident here. ..http://m.montereycountyweekly.com/blogs/news_blog/update-two-riders-dead-in-chaotic-crash-at-world-superbike/article_1078990c-2e8a-11e5-9304-63351bb5db43.html?mode=jqm

fooschnickens

I heard about that over the weekend. It's been a tragic week for motorsports with the loss of Jules Bianchi and then these two fine riders. :(

• Premium Member

I tried to find the two movies motioned a few post ago on Netflix and they are not there...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I just watched Fastest on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. Faster wasn't on there or I would've watched that too. And there's another one called The Doctor, The Tornado, and The Kentucky Kid. They're all from the same director and all are narrated by Ewan McGregor.

On a side note, I highly recommend watching The Long Way Round and The Long Way Down if you want to watch Ewan McGregor take a trip around the world on a motorcycle and then from Scotland to South Africa as well. Entertaining and enlightening.

Darn... They do remove things from time to time. It was almost a year ago I think I watched them on there. I'll look for the other one mentioned. Gotta have something to watch over the GP summer break!

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Watched both Faster and Fastest yesterday. Awesome! Also, the riders are insane. To come back from those crashes+injuries in such a short amount of time... I had a minor tear of my acl in college and I was completely out of action for like 4 months. These guys shatter a leg, have some rods and screws put in, and then are back in the bike in 2 months :o

Archived