The MT-07 Forum

Good places to mount you camera?

username

• Premium Member

What are some good places that you guys have mounted your action cameras to get some cool videos with some good angles?

• Premium Member

Being that the bike is a naked, you'll have to be a bit more creative with the mounting solutions... and depending on your camera, the solutions can vary

Here are a few I've seen:
- Front cowl, if you have one. It tends to take a bit of the vibration tho. POV view with no bike in the view.
- Pillion. Forward view gets you from the thigh up... Or can get those following you if pointed back.
- Swingarm. For foot peg, knee slider action.
- Frame Sliders, if you have them. You can use the "handlebar" mount with extended screws and hang the camera that way. Not sure if it captures some of the bike, but I guess it depends on the angle in which you position it.
- On the back of the tachometer. It's a good angle to face forward or towards you.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

In my opinion, which is based mostly on watching many motovloggers on YouTube, the best place to mount a camera is on your helmet, not on the bike (unless it's a B reel, etc.)

On the helmet, I like the side of the helmet best, which gets a bit of the helmet in view. I think it adds a nice touch and perspective.

For a B reel camera, my favorite would be on the bars or tank pointed back to capture the rider's head and torso.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

If you want mounting positions on yourself...

- Helmet. Depending on your helmet, some solutions will be easier to achieve than others. Like @aeisan, I do like the side view than the on the top of the helmet view. I did the side view for a while, but after getting a GoPro switched to the chin view. It gives a more centered view that I prefer when I turn my head in the other direction. It can be difficult to capture things that happen on the other side of the helmet. I commute and have had close calls that I couldn't capture due to the side view.
- Chest. Similar to the chin view. Works great on upright body positions. If you're a bit more aggressive you might get more bike than road.
- Shoulder. Similar to the helmet side view.
- Selfie stick. 8-) LOL JK.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I agree helmet is probably the way to go because yoh can look around and it makes you feel like your the rider somewhat. It also has the added bonus of less vibrations. Like you said there is always vibrations when mounted on the bike with your run of the mill action cam. I've seen some pretty horrendous videos where the camera shakes like a kid with epilepsy the whole time. Is there a video editing program that stabilizes the image and takes away the vibrations?

Chin mount or handlebar mount either forward or rearward facing.

I've never been a fan of the tail mount in either direction.

• Premium Member
I agree helmet is probably the way to go because yoh can look around and it makes you feel like your the rider somewhat. It also has the added bonus of less vibrations. Like you said there is always vibrations when mounted on the bike with your run of the mill action cam. I've seen some pretty horrendous videos where the camera shakes like a kid with epilepsy the whole time. Is there a video editing program that stabilizes the image and takes away the vibrations?
Funny this should come up...I've been trying to salvage some footage of my Laguna Seca track day due to jittery video.  The only software I've found that can really help is Mercalli Ver.4 

click here

I've tested it out and it does work, but I just used the auto settings and haven't really played with it yet.  My schedule is way too busy.  Hope to play with it soon and get some Laguna Seca stuff posted :)

- Paulie

I use the Chin view myself. My only issue is that with the GoPro Hero 3, I hardly see any of the motorcycle. If I point the camera down enough to see the speedo, too much of the road is out of view. Not sure if a new GoPro 4 would have a better view angle. I've considered switching to the side mount on the helmet. I agree though, helmet is best and mounted on bike for the B Roll.

Archived