The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Life expectancy

fastfredyb

What is the general motorcycle life expectancy without large overhauls? Obviously it all depends on driving habits.  Let's keep it  general.

I've only been riding a few years and don't know many other riders with experience.

I commute on " Gisele" my FZ-07 about 110 miles per day and was wondering how long my bike would last.

For cars,  I think it's safe to say about 100- 150k miles before major work needs to be done. 

Opinions

Mild bikes like the FZ-07, with good airfilter, constant oil changes and general maintenance should easily go 80,000 miles or more. Maybe much much more.

Where guys ruin bikes is when they start doing stupid shet to gain one hp that they will never notice. Like going with so called better breathing airfilters, or cutting their air boxes open. And airfilter is the one single thing keeping dirt out of your engine.

Also, having the valves checked by someone who knows what they are doing every 15,000 miles is paramount. Sadly, dealer techs often do not know what in the hell they are doing. They might have an old master tech on staff, but he gets busy, the service dept get's backed up and the young guy who may have adjusted valves on his own once or twice before gets put on your bike. And nobody knows if he phucks up or not..

I always recommend that everyone finds a local expert bike mechanic who has his own business and often these guys have long waiting lists for a reason. These are the guys with mega experience fixing bikes, great reputations and prices far lower than a dealer, who really just wants to sell you something.
Ask around your towns who the best local bike mechanics are. I'm not saying that dealers purposely pay so little that only inexperienced techs will work there, and that this causes them to screw up bikes so that people have to trade in more often, but figure the odds..

I worked for a driving school 10 years ago. We had a Honda Nightawk 450 (1984 i think) that was over 200 000 km (over 124k miles). The secret is to do good maintenance ... and avoid crashes. :D 

I owned a 1984 Suzuki GS400 that died from electrical problem in 1997. So i sold it. But it was still in good shape.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

100k miles easy. You'll have to replace consumables and things like exhaust headers (depending salt), exhaust gaskets, head cover gaskets, caliper piston o-rings, fork lower bushings (*grin*), and service the suspension every 10,000 miles or so. Your clutch pack (springs and plates) will eventually go (probably 30K miles) depending how you treat them. Wheel bearings will probably go between 30-50K. Cables (clutch and throttle) should be oiled every few months and replaced probably 5 or so years in. You'll want to service the swingarm and shock linkage bearings oh every 3 seasons I guess.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

thomascrown

Suzuki svs and dls can go north of 100k without cracking the cases. I expect the same for the FZ07. At 15k thus far, still running strong.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

it will last eternity just like love.

-HowWorkClutch

Guest Ralph

I knew a courier with a 240,000+ mile Honda 400 super four it revved
for fun a real screamer only things it needed were a wiring harness
that had worn through on the frame and all the paint that came in
contact with the rider had worn away to polished metal, only other
work was oil changes.

Just taken the magnetic drain plug out of my 6000 mile 07 it's been
in there about 3000 miles and is better than my last 2 bikes not much
on it at all so the engine looks set for a long life.
PLUG_zpsbcx3r0sq.jpg

fromthecage

I've riden with a couple supersport guys in my area that are in the 50k mile range. An R6, a Ninja 636, etc. And these bikes see mountain runs quite regularly.

Archived