The MT-07 Forum

2015 FZ-07 Vs. 2007 Triumph Daytona 675

Allan

I went to my local cruise night and my friend and I decided to have some friendly competition. I took on his 2007 Triumph Daytona 675. I had no intentions of winning this race as I know my FZ-07's place in the motorcycle world and it falls below 600+ CC super-sports in terms of speed. My time probably could have been better if I had some practice and if my reaction time wasn't so slow. Interesting part starts at 3:10

• Premium Member

I have taking my bike out the drag strip a few times and got a best of 12.55sec in the 1/4 mile with consistent 1.7-1.8sec 60' times...my buddy tried it out a few times and got a 12.32sec... I have to dig out the slips for 1/8 mile...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

By the way, here are the numbers:

Daytona 675--------------FZ-07

.8369------Reaction------.9819
2.1580------60 ft-------2.1630
5.3360------330 ft------5.5401
7.3830----ET @ 594 FT---7.8541
7.8389------1/8 ET------8.4072
98.71------1/8 MPH------81.35

This was only my second time at the drag strip and my only other time before this was almost a year ago, so I'm not exactly seasoned.. Haha

• Premium Member

Not bad...I'm not a seasoned drag racer either...I just put myself in the mind set I was doing a motocross start...this lil bike has potential in my mind to break into high 11's if one could extend the swing arm and put weight in the nose  (rofl)..I'm happy this lil bike can do what it does, but it was built as a stealth fighter plane( stock exhaust only) to combat traffic not chase down ppl...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Thanks for sharing the numbers. I would not have expected such a gap in the 1/8th. Whats funny is that you are already at 98mph there....assuming you may only get to 105 or so at the quarter.

I love 3rd to 4th gear!

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I think if you're reaction time had been better (which you explained in the vid), you'd have gotten closer. Fun to watch. I have yet to get to a track.

As an aside, don't use your kill switch to turn off the bike. Use the key. It's bad for the ignition.

• Premium Member

Its your 60 that could use some work but a good run none the less.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

All in all, I had a great time and plan on going back and trying to improve my times. Both of our 60' were almost identical which I thought was interesting. I guess that's the benefit of all the low end torque. I defiantly need practice but I think I could confidently get in the high 7s. I don't know if I'll ever be able to beat him, probably not, but I bet I can get close.

@yamahappy74 I never knew that. Thanks for the warning. Why is it bad for the ignition? I've been doing it since I bought the bike so I feel after 4,000 miles later, my ignition shouldn't be working by now. Lol Please enlighten me as this is new information to me.  :)

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I'm not an engineer or a mechanic, but as it was explained to me, the kill switch doesn't allow the ECU to cycle properly before the engine turns off and then injectors don't get primed properly for the next time you start the bike. This is just how I understand it and so I got in the habit of using the key always. Do it however you like; I didn't mean to sound like an ass. I would just rather not take the chance, personally.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
All in all, I had a great time and plan on going back and trying to improve my times. Both of our 60' were almost identical which I thought was interesting. I guess that's the benefit of all the low end torque. I defiantly need practice but I think I could confidently get in the high 7s. I don't know if I'll ever be able to beat him, probably not, but I bet I can get close. 

keep practicing your launch you'll be killing him.

set your rear spring as soft as you can so the bike squats you'll have less tendency to wheelie.
consider getting comfortable with wheelies.. this will give you the confidence to power-on during the race.
stage with your left foot under the shifter so when you launch you're already prepped for the upshift.
dont use the clutch to upshift: chop the throttle, shift, open throttle. she'll shift just fine.
dont run the tach all the way to redline. shift around 8500rpm. make note of where the next gear lands on the tach and adjust your shifts. i forget where the peak torque is for these bikes but you can find that information easily... you want to land somewhere near that peak when you shift up. no need to rev past 8500 there is no power up there.

my buddy has a '13 675r. easy to beat in the 1/8th.

focus on improving reaction and 60ft times. dont worry about anything but those two things until you are consistent: then go racing with the intent to race :)

-HowWorkClutch

@yamahappy74 I didn't think you sounded like an ass. Haha I was just genuinely surprised at this information. When I shut the bike off via the kill switch, I do hear the fuel pump prime afterwards. So maybe this isn't too much of a problem on this bike? I'm not sure. Haha

@howworkclutch I knew I was shifting high in the rev range and I didn't need to. I do shift regularly without the clutch when I'm riding normally. There was a guy who 12 O'Clocked his bike about 20 minutes earlier on the strip and it kind of made me weary a little bit. Haha Thanks for the tips. Like I said, I just need practice. Lol

my buddy has a '13 675r. easy to beat in the 1/8th.
I don't know if I can do it with this bike. It's 403 Lbs vs. 390Lbs, 123 HP vs. 75 HP and 53 Ft-Lbs vs. 50 Ft-Lbs. The numbers just don't add up to me ever winning in this scenario. Haha I also weigh more than him so my net weight on my bike is probably more than his. Lol

• Premium Member

The bike is 383# wet...that's aftermarket exhaust, no rear landing gear, no tail shovel and a full tank of gas...

The bike is 383# wet...that's aftermarket exhaust, no rear landing gear, no tail shovel and a full tank of gas...
I still have the rear landing gear so mine is a little heavier than yours. ;) Probably closer to 385-390 lbs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator

Not to hijack the thread but my friends Street Triple owners manual says to always turn off the bike with the key. It does not say why though. The MSF course taught to use the kill switch. I guess one of them is correct.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Using the key or thumb switch should kill the fuel pump using the side stand switch does not. If the ignition switch is off and you turn the key it does nothing. Once you put it to run it primes the fuel pump.

In MSF they teach to use the key because it kills fuel supply and power in one step. If you were in a wreck and fuel was dumping onto the ground and you tripped the switch it will stop fuel but still be supplying power to moat of the components. If it is instinct to use the key to shut the bike off that is likely what you will do in an emergency situation.

I use all 3 depending on my situation am I wrong? No, are you? No

bmwpowere36m3

I look at the kill-switch as an "oh-shit" switch… I need to shut the bike off immediately. Taking your hand off the bar and reaching the key takes time. That said, I only use the key since its meant to be cycled thousands of times vs. the kill switch. Granted on this bike it's a little different because the starter/kill switch are combined, so the "switch" should be robust because its used at each start.

Anyway, it's a habit I developed (using the key) and I think it transfers to other bikes appropriately. I do check the kill switch every so often to make sure it actually working.

Archived