The MT-07 Forum

Bleeding the brake

kiwion2wheels

kiwion2wheels

Hi guys, hoping someone could let me know how to bleed the rear brake? I want to shorten the resivour to the piston line and guessing it will have to be bleed after cutting it shorter?

Probably not for working on the reservoir hose as long as you don't step on the brake pedal with no fluid in the reservoir/reservoir hose.
Just make sure that, when you're done, it is containing enough fluid and it doesn't leak, the hose doesn't get pinched, or malfunctions in any way that prevents fluid from reaching the master cylinder when needed (or flow back to the reservoir when needed).

You'd have to bleed the brakes if you messed with the connection from master cylinder to caliper.

Use a clamp to pinch the hose below your cut line -> cut the hose (& obviously prepare to catch the brake fluid and keep it away from everything else) -> mount your reservoir -> reconnect hose & refill w/brake fluid -> tap on the hose several times to let out any air bubbles -> remove clamp -> drink beer

For bleeding any brake, I like a vacuum pump like a mitivac available at local auto parts store. Makes the job easy if only for the hoses that come with it.

Put box wrench of proper size on the bleeder nipple, attach hose to the nipple to drain fluid into the mitivac. Pump up the pressure in the miti to somewhere in the middle of the gauge. Slowly open the bleeder valve until air and fluid start moving through the hose. When you stop seeing air, close the bleeder valve. Keep an eye on the reservoir so it doesn't go dry during this process.

Archived