The MT-07 Forum

Squid vs Semi on the 805 this morning, Squid Won!

databyter

• Premium Member

So I'm riding to work this morning on the 805 somewhere between Palm and L streets (San Diego County) and traffic is moving about 45-55 so I am not splitting. Skip over my philosophy on splitting below and get on to the real story..

(I have promised myself to not split unless traffic is going much slower like less than 25mph, and then I keep my relative speed about 10-20 more than that depending on conditions. That gives me reaction time even if nobody sees me and everybody wants to kill me.)

Anyway this "squid" decides that 50 is way to slow and he comes on the freeway and starts splitting, but he's like in the number 2-3 lanes doing it for some reason, AND it's unecessary since if traffic is moving you can just make lane changes and get ahead fairly quickly.

So he is splitting between a semi truck and another vehicle and has quite a lot of room even tho the trailer is of course big. But for some reason he hugs the trailer and doesn't go down the middle.

I don't know if it was air pressure or what, but his bike HITS the side of the trailer, dunno if handlebars or what, but I mean it was a solid hit and you saw the bike react right away and he got a bad front end wobble that was almost a tank slapper, but not quite.

I figure that was a good thing since it most likely tossed the guys hands off the controls and allowed the bike to do something more intelligent.

But I was watching the guy, cuz I was thinking about MY rules about splitting and I wanted to observe how other people ride, wondering if I am too conservative or w/e. So I watch this guy as he starts to split, and wham 3 seconds later he runs right into a trailer, totally unecessary on so many levels. And it was so violent I thought, wow this guy is going down, he hit pretty damn hard even tho it was a glancing side blow. I figure maybe his handlebars were involved that made it turn even more into the truck and then rebounded by gyro force and momentum. 

But he was so damn lucky! He did that speed wobble thing for like 1-2 seconds and I thought he's loosing the battle, but then he had control and was still up.

I was about 50 yards behind and was going to swing in behind him when he pulled over to see if he was hurt, but he never pulled over. I guess he was late for work and maybe that is why he was driving like that. I did notice that he seemed to be done splitting for the day though. The irony is that the HOV lane was only 1/2 a mile or so up and was moving very nicely.

He also had no visable safety gear except his helmet. Pants and shirt, his back was showing because the wind untucked it, didn't notice boots or gloves and assume not, but who knows.

So I am thinking I will stick to my own splitting guidelines for now, and not look for more squid mentors on the 805.

Talk about a rush, it really woke me up.

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Ha, for a split second I thought you were going to mention me in your post for some reason. Had an awkward moment with a semi this morning (805 NB) but nothing like what you described. Glad everyone came out okay.

It seems like most motorcycle incidents in the morning are on the 805, south of the 8. Do you find that to be true? Maybe it's just selective memory but I feel like that's what I hear on the radio more frequently.

• Premium Member

That's one lucky guy. I wonder if he just kept riding because he was too embarrassed to actually pull over. Or maybe didn't want to have to deal with the owner of the semi... cus he basically just did a hit and run.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
That's one lucky guy. I wonder if he just kept riding because he was too embarrassed to actually pull over. Or maybe didn't want to have to deal with the owner of the semi... cus he basically just did a hit and run. 

Yea, I'm sure there was no appreciable damage to the trailer and the driver might not have even seen what caused the bike to lose control.

Databyter

• Premium Member
Ha, for a split second I thought you were going to mention me in your post for some reason. Had an awkward moment with a semi this morning (805 NB) but nothing like what you described. Glad everyone came out okay.  
It seems like most motorcycle incidents in the morning are on the 805, south of the 8. Do you find that to be true? Maybe it's just selective memory but I feel like that's what I hear on the radio more frequently.
Well maybe it seemed different from my perspective. I was a bit behind and mostly focussed on my own lane.

But the bike did appear to hit the trailer or SOMETHING happened very close to it that caused some serious front end wobbles but not tank slappage.

I didn't see an actual collision but assume it was because of the proximity and the temporary loss of control.
I can't think of any other reason for quick loss of control like that.It looked like a collision from my perspective.

Also the rider appeared to not be wearing a jacket.

Could that have been you?

What was your akward moment?

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Well maybe it seemed different from my perspective. I was a bit behind and mostly focussed on my own lane. 
But the bike did appear to hit the trailer or SOMETHING happened very close to it that caused some serious front end wobbles but not tank slappage.

I didn't see an actual collision but assume it was because of the proximity and the temporary loss of control.
I can't think of any other reason for quick loss of control like that.It looked like a collision from my perspective.

Databyter

Nope! Def not me. I am on the 805 though, but I merge onto it from the 163.

Oh, it wasn't a big deal at all: There was a slow splitter who caused a caravan, I was 3rd in line, the guy ahead of me was splitting past a semi to his right but as he was just about to complete the pass, he realized there wasn't enough room due a car in the number 1 lane crowding the line. It caused him/me to slow, allowing the semi to pass. It cleared a split second later and we cruised by. He had room between the car and the cabin of the semi but played it safe.

Related note, there were a LOT of motorcyclists on the road today. More than usual but maybe that's the "gotta get to work by 8am" crowd; I typically roll into work by 7:30

• Premium Member

Databyter
Nope! Def not me. I am on the 805 though, but I merge onto it from the 163.  
Oh, it wasn't a big deal at all: There was a slow splitter who caused a caravan, I was 3rd in line, the guy ahead of me was splitting past a semi to his right but as he was just about to complete the pass, he realized there wasn't enough room due a car in the number 1 lane crowding the line. It caused him/me to slow, allowing the semi to pass. It cleared a split second later and we cruised by. He had room between the car and the cabin of the semi but played it safe.

Related note, there were a LOT of motorcyclists on the road today. More than usual but maybe that's the "gotta get to work by 8am" crowd; I typically roll into work by 7:30

I noticed a lot of bikes today too. I figure it's the get home early on payday/weekend crowd ;) I like those caravans if the riders are experienced and not foolish. Nice to follow an experienced rider.
At first I didn't split at all (or filter), then I did at a speed that I was comfortable at, and moved over if I saw a bike behind me (and sometimes followed it's trail blaze ;) .
Now I rarely get anyone behind me. The FZ is a great platform to split with! I almost feel bad for the big Harley Boats,.. ALMOST..

Databyter

Databyter

Archived