The MT-07 Forum

7 hours in two days

yamahappy74

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Just finished up the return 3 and a half hour ride coming back from my future in-laws place. I have to say, I find it really hard to get comfy on this bike for more than an hour or so. I'm 5'10" at 155lbs, so I've got a boney backside and the only way I can find any comfort at all is to slide all the way back on the seat which puts me not really on the seat at all. 70-80mph is pretty bad too, but that's to be expected on a naked. I find anything over 65mph to feel a bit like a chore on long rides on this thing. Still, I get lots of looks and compliments on it, and in 6th, I can still pin it and put it right where I want it without the need to downshift as I would on a sport bike. I just need to find a way to make it more butt comfy and I think I'll be alright. I guess one of my winter projects will be looking into seat concepts options...

• Premium Member
Just finished up the return 3 and a half hour ride coming back from my future in-laws place. I have to say, I find it really hard to get comfy on this bike for more than an hour or so. I'm 5'10" at 155lbs, so I've got a boney backside and the only way I can find any comfort at all is to slide all the way back on the seat which puts me not really on the seat at all. 70-80mph is pretty bad too, but that's to be expected on a naked. I find anything over 65mph to feel a bit like a chore on long rides on this thing. Still, I get lots of looks and compliments on it, and in 6th, I can still pin it and put it right where I want it without the need to downshift as I would on a sport bike. I just need to find a way to make it more butt comfy and I think I'll be alright. I guess one of my winter projects will be looking into seat concepts options...
You know, I hardly think about it any more, but when I first started riding this, I found long freeway rides a bit uncomfortable, but decent. 
I can tell you that this seat will break in a bit so you might want to give it a month or so.

Also, when I am cruising and no longer needing to shift, or rear brake quickly (I do not tailgate) I adjust my feet on the pegs from the control position, to basically just the ball of my foot, pretty close to my toes. This gives me room to sorta sqwunch into a more foot soles backwards position which allows me latitude to do a lot of things, hug the tank forward and belly it, Sit on the back or middle and have more weight on my foot and less on my back.

It's kind of hard to explain, but try taking your feet off the control position and just rest them on the pegs a bit rearward. Something about it makes a long ride a lot more comfortable. One good thing about the FZ is there is a lot of real estate to experiment with position wise. Some folks also like a sheepskin forward by the skinny part to add support although I haven't tried it and am relatively happy now that the seat, and my asterix have broken in.

Databyter

Databyter

• Global Moderator

Also, when I am cruising and no longer needing to shift, or rear brake quickly (I do not tailgate) I adjust my feet on the pegs from the control position, to basically just the ball of my foot, pretty close to my toes. This gives me room to sorta sqwunch into a more foot soles backwards position which allows me latitude to do a lot of things, hug the tank forward and belly it, Sit on the back or middle and have more weight on my foot and less on my back.

It's kind of hard to explain, but try taking your feet off the control position and just rest them on the pegs a bit rearward. Something about it makes a long ride a lot more comfortable. One good thing about the FZ is there is a lot of real estate to experiment with position wise.

Databyter

I have to do this same thing, im looking into getting a set of playes made to move the stock pegsets up and back a couple inches to match that position

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I have to do this same thing, im looking into getting a set of playes made to move the stock pegsets up and back a couple inches to match that position
I thought about that, but I kinda like where they are for riding over rough terrain or thru town. Maybe a compromise between the two with an aftermarket, on the other hand just changing position works for me. 
I'm too up and down on stuff to make any major changes as a new rider. As I develop my needs seem to change and my opinions on what I want vary by the day. I was really set on a new bar position, and might do it, but more and more I am liking the stock position. I can sit upright comfortably, or tuck way in (now partially blocked due to a sport touring windscreen, one of the few detractors for it).

I told myself to wait 6 months before I start changing ergo's too much :)

Databyter

I know how you feel on the longer rides. I don't have much personal padding back there either, so on the highway, I have to shift around every so often. When I'm on some curvy back roads and really being more active, I can ride for a lot longer without noticing any issues. I love the shape of the seat and I think it's pretty comfy and smart in its design. I just don't think it's a long distance seat, or motorcycle for that matter. Sure, I've gone 300 miles in a day on it, and loved every minute of it. But that's fun roads, not the highway slab. Maybe invest in a Corbin?

• Premium Member

1. Invest in a windscreen -- taller "touring" style if you value wind blockage over looks
2. Get a Seat Concepts seat upgrade (they are a supporting vendor here) -- less than half the price of a Corbin, and looks better too IMHO

• Premium Member

I use the Yamaha comfort seat and find it comfy...I sit all the way back in the seat when just cruising but when it comes to twisties or even just taking a corner I slid as far forward as I can...the only problem I have is I wish the narrow part of the seat would slope up more...I'm gonna try the " seat concepts" next year cuz the have more slope at the narrow part of the seat...I love the shape of the seat but Yamaha made this bike as an Urban Traffic Assult Vechical not a Goldwin so long term comfort was set aside...I can ride 12+ hrs a day since we stop every 1.5-2hrs for a smoke break and gas...my next step is the suspension which will really help out in the comfort dept...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Ive got 3k on mine now and it seems as though my a$$ doesn't hurt as much as it use to. I'm assuming the seat may be broke in a bit more these days.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

This ride put me at 1230 miles since I got the bike on May 1. I imagine it's about time for another oil change and chain slack fix. I love my bike, don't get me wrong. It's just uncomfortable for me on longer rides. Funny thing is, my body was just getting used to it when we got back. At that point, I probably could've gone out for a couple more hours, lol.

• Premium Member

Just my own personal experience ... It was similar I didn't like going over 65 even with a wind screen and I would get sore but now after 3 months and over 8000 miles I have no problem hitting 90 mph and not even tuck. I ride 80mph on a normal basis for 65 mile one way to work. I move around when taking longer trips over 2 hours but I'm comfortable.
My advice it give it some time before you upgrade but if its that much of an issue then do what you think is best.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

You know, I hardly think about it any more, but when I first started riding this, I found long freeway rides a bit uncomfortable, but decent. 
I can tell you that this seat will break in a bit so you might want to give it a month or so.

It's kind of hard to explain, but try taking your feet off the control position and just rest them on the pegs a bit rearward. Something about it makes a long ride a lot more comfortable. One good thing about the FZ is there is a lot of real estate to experiment with position wise. Some folks also like a sheepskin forward by the skinny part to add support although I haven't tried it and am relatively happy now that the seat, and my asterix have broken in.

Databyter
Balls of your feet on the pegs is how you should have your feet positioned nearly 100% of the time you are riding unless you are shifting/braking. That is the correct body position.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Databyter
Balls of your feet on the pegs is how you should have your feet positioned nearly 100% of the time you are riding unless you are shifting/braking. That is the correct body position.

Exactly what i was going to say. Never ride with your foot under the shifter, break the habit, its dangerous!!

• Premium Member

Also it helps to point toe slightly inward riding riding on the balls of your feet...that's one of the secrets I learned from dirt biking :D...

This locks your knees into the tank more...my profile picture also shows me in my attack position on the balls of my feet, elbows slightly up and sitting as close as I can to be tank...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
When I'm on some curvy back roads and really being more active, I can ride for a lot longer without noticing any issues. I love the shape of the seat and I think it's pretty comfy and smart in its design. I just don't think it's a long distance seat, or motorcycle for that matter. Sure, I've gone 300 miles in a day on it, and loved every minute of it. But that's fun roads, not the highway slab. Maybe invest in a Corbin?
This touches on the reality of road-tripping on any motorcycle.

You can save a ton of money and have a ton of fun by just not taking the interstate.  The interstate is boring and there is nothing to look at. It makes the ride miserable.

Take the old US routes whenever you can. They're marked black letters on white background with a black shield around them. Except for a few oddities, the odd numbers run north/south and the even numbers east/west... so you don't always need to know exactly where to go as long as you have a general idea.  The old roads are 1000000000 times more interesting. And, they rarely go directly through towns: business routes give you the option of going through town if you want. 

Interesting reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Numbered_Highways
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Numbered_Highways
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_shield

If you are engrossed in the ride you will not notice the minor discomforts.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived