The MT-07 Forum

Emergency braking

grahamfz07

• Premium Member

I had an interesting ride to work today

I was headed down the highway approaching an intersection when some dummy in a nissan nv? cube truck pulled into my lane and the proceeded to jam on the brakes pretty quickly. I guess the light turned red ahead and everyone started slowing, but all i could see was him in front of me now. Guess i shouldve slowed sooner when i saw him coming over. Anyways his bumper was approaching fast so grabbed a handful of front brakes and started to apply the rear, next thing i know the rear is locked, and the front end felt like it had started to slide out a couple times. Luckily i somehow managed to keep the front tire rolling and stop before his bumper. Left a nice black skid mark down the road and some tire smoke. I was just happy i didnt end up dumping the bike! Gotta keep remind myself im still a rookie at this, and to leave more space to react to things like that. 

• Global Moderator

Practice also helps, glad to hear you're alright and safely stopped.
I dont recommend tailgating cars, but will recommend practicing emergency stops on an empty road, or humongous(sp?)and deserted parking lot

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Typical cager. They will pull out in front without any thought to leaving you any room for evasives. Glad you kept your cool.

As you increase pressure on the front brake, and the weight shifts more the way, if you don't lower the pressure on your rear brake it can lock up.

I practice emergency braking with just front and with both, but I have found that in the real live moment just applying the front to the max of its ability without locking it up is a chore enough. I can't modulate my right foot as well. I can press once with a set amount of pressure and keep it there, but that typically ends in a sliding rear end.

So, if you can't juggle, just use the front brake.

I don't think this guy used any rear brake, especially not at the end ;)
http://youtu.be/juF59b2Z63k

• Premium Member
As you increase pressure on the front brake, and the weight shifts more the way, if you don't lower the pressure on your rear brake it can lock up. 
I practice emergency braking with just front and with both, but I have found that in the real live moment just applying the front to the max of its ability without locking it up is a chore enough. I can't modulate my right foot as well. I can press once with a set amount of pressure and keep it there, but that typically ends in a sliding rear end.

So, if you can't juggle, just use the front brake.

I don't think this guy used any rear brake, especially not at the end ;)
http://youtu.be/juF59b2Z63k
Yeah, i think i'm pretty much in the same boat. My concentration was on the front brake, and my foot just held the rear locked. I'm going to do a little more practice 

• Premium Member

It also helps to try and keep your weight back to the rear if you can. It'll help when the front end is diving from all the front brake applied at once.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Emergency stops aren't always perfect so you did just fine and anyone could stand to practice some hard braking once in awhile, doesn't mean you don't know how to do it, just keeping sharp. Glad you're here to tell about it.

RobMoore

I don't think this guy is going to be around much longer no matter how well he brakes, IMO. He's pushing the envelope and not leaving himself much time to react, that was reeeal close. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

He was going about 124 mph, give or take. Had a bit of luck on his side there.

Everything went braap.

Yup! When you ride tardaciously a little luck helps a lot.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Yup! When you ride tardaciously a little luck helps a lot.

Haha, at first that read as tenaciously in my mind, and I thought the comment was a little out of character.

Everything went braap.

He was actually doing 140MPH and got down to 77MPH or so in 2 seconds. That's not dumb luck, that's skill. Who knows where this was filmed? On certain roads in Europe, this may have even been perfectly legal.

Another tip I'll add for emergency braking and something every rider should practice is how to brake progressively. I'm not the best at explaining this stuff when time is short, but basically if you think about your pull, divide that up into 10 steps. You don't pull so hard that you apply full brake pressure right away. At first, you only pull hard enough to get to 1 step, then 2, 3, etc. You progressively pull harder and harder until you're either at 100%, you start to feel it lock up (which means you screwed up) or you stop. It's kinda similar to smooth upshifting, where it ultimately comes down to conditioned muscle memory and very fast, fluid actions linked together.

Also, as others hit on... Unless you're an advanced rider, do not even think about adding the rear brake into the equation under emergency braking. You're just adding one more level of complexity to a problem you are probably already in over your head with. If you consider yourself either a beginner or even intermediate, the rear brake is only for really low speeds and even then it's really only good for modulating very low speeds while accelerating to keep the bike smooth.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Archived