The MT-07 Forum

Best riding backpack for college?

rwynne24

So as I'm starting my freshman year in college it's time to upgrade from my old Nike book bag that has lasted me my past 3 years in high school! I'm looking for something that can hold a good amount of stuff as well as a 15" MacBook Pro that has nice padding incase of a fall. I've been looking at the Oakley kitchen sink backpacks and I really like the whole padded panel around the laptop compartment as well as its ability to hold a BUNCH of books and stuff. I have also been looking at the Thule brand which seems like a good "adventure" pack. Any ideas from you guys? The kitchen sick pack can be found on Amazon for around $150 so I'd like to stay in that price range if possible.... Of course just buying my FZ I'm an even more poor college student now! :P

• Premium Member

That Oakley pack is nice I'd go with it .

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I'm going into my Sophomore year of college now and I've been rocking a Kriega R20 and it works very well for me. With your budget though, you could get the R25 which is bigger and might suit you better. In my R20 I put my 17" laptop and a good number of books and I've never had an issue.

I stay away from backpacks that are over-engineered with useless and redundant features. Too many pouches, dividers, zippers, compartments, and useless molle and daisy loops are just done for marketing and not utility. They are excess weight and reduce overall volume for a given weight. That Oakley Sink falls into that category. That Kriega R20 seems like a much better choice.

• Premium Member

Have you looked into Chrome Industries or TimBuk2?

I just purchased the Chrome Bravo, which is on clearance. But I don't carry a lap top nor go to school, so you might choose a different option. But they're high quality. Recently read a review from MotoLady who went down with one and it totally survived. 

Timbuk2's Prospect seems like it could work out for you. It has a laptop space and can be customized to your own liking. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I like the Maxpedition line of packs. Several of their offerings have padded compartments for laptops or tablets. Check out the falcon II, it has a slim profile which suits motorcycling. It might not be large enough for you, but there's a lot of different options.

Everything went braap.

The R20 and R25 are definitely something to look at. I'm looking for something that will be good on a 20-25 minute highway ride to school everyday, I recently purchased a Thule waterproof case for my MacBook so waterproof isn't a huge deal but a plus definitely. After looking at the chrome and other ones they just seem to small! I hate having to buy something online and hoping it fits that's my biggest issue but I know revzilla has a great return policy. As for the Oakley pack I think it has some competition now with the Kriega line I guess I have to keep looking and decide soon! Thanks everyone!

• Premium Member

This is how I role. $60 You can tighten down small/slim or extend it out to carry all your stuff and gym gear....will also hold your jacket and helmet if you go in anywhere.
Really, anything with a chest strap and waist strap work the best.

suspiciouspackage

I use an R25. Fits everything you need for school but if you're gonna stay over at someone's house it has more than enough space. Well worth the money.

• Global Moderator

I have a mach 5 from ogio, i can fit my 3 school books, 15" laptop, 12" chromebook, kindle, and a couple bottles of water inside. Only drawba1ck id say after 7 months of owning it, is the elastic in the shoulders has worn out already. Otherwise it works for whats its designed to do. And it looks awesome too :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

+1 for the Kriega packs. I have the R25 and absolutely love it. I can't recommend Kriega enough. (No, I don't work for them or have any other association with them, I just really like their stuff!)

From reading the OP, I think it 100% matches your needs. It's got a laptop sleeve inside the main pouch, one small zippered pouch inside the main pouch, and one outer zippered compartment on the outside. It's built specifically for motorcycling and you can wear it for many hours with almost no fatigue. With the quad lock system the shoulder straps do not even put weight on your shoulders, they literally float above them; all the weight is on your chest making it so so comfortable. The rucksack style is great and allows for a ton of things if you know how to pack a bag properly. It can essentially be expanded by adding a US10 or other Kriega tail bag to it. I also looked at the Ogio line of packs before getting the R25 and found the Kriega products to have much much better materials and build quality, especially in the zippers; many online reviews concur.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I use a Ogio renegade RSS laptop bag for work. Can't say how many books it will hold but it has a nicely padded laptop sleeve, and hard sunglasses case. It holds more than you'd expect.

I have had my Motocentric backpack for a few years, and use it very often. It still looks like new.
It has a padded laptop compartment and on the bottom, outside the pack, has a hidden compartment to store the liner to make it capable of also
carrying another helmet. This hidden compartment is usually where I stash my Concealed carry handgun.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28916/i/motocentric-mototrek-backpack

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I also have a American kargo para trooper bag but its better suited to trips rather than school books.

Kriega R25

Other brands straps won't feel good here holding a heavy load (books), even Ogio Mach 1/3/5 sucked at this.

bmwpowere36m3

While not in college anymore… it was time for a new backpack. My poor old, 15+ yrs (yeah! had it since before HS) JanSport had seen better days. Still have it though :) I was eyeing either the Kreiga R20 or R25 and told my GF I'd like something like that for my birthday… hint, hint.

She actually ended up getting me an Alpinestars Tech Aero backpack and I love it. Stays secure when I ride, comfortable due to straps (waist, shoulder and sternum) by taking weight off shoulders, neat sternum pocket (I use to hold my badge when I go to work, must display before pulling in) and big enough for daily use or short trips.

[ul type=disc][*]Bunch of various interior pockets[*]Big laptop compartment[*]Back protector compartment[*]Main compartment is expandable, open zipper and it almost doubles in size when you need it[*]Built-in rain cover[*]Built-in helmet carrier (straps to back)[*]Shoulder, sternum and waist straps[*]Sternum pocket to hold money, ID, wallet, etc…[/ul]
My only gripe is the interior pockets, I like the Kreiga better because its like a rucksack so you can pack it anyway you want and not waste space on pockets/compartments… it's essentially one big compartment so it allows for a LOT of flexibility. I mostly use my backpack to commute to work and my girlfriends place.  I rarely put anything in the pockets, just stuff the main one and use the exterior one for easy access items.

Im returning back to college, this time i own a bike for commuting and free parking.  I recently purchased the OGIO Redbull signature series no drag backpack. They also have the plain black non red bull one, but i liked the grey and blue so i went with that.  Its a fairly small bag but i have used if for a few hour long highway trips with my 13" macbook pro in the laptop sleeve and an extra pair of shoes as well as a medium sized textbook and a change of clothes.  The bag is comfortable to wear and feel like its build pretty solid. it won't hold a Lot of books but if your looking for a versatile laptop comparable backpack that can also hold a book or two or some other "day trip" items its a nice bag. found it on ebay for around 80$.

Archived