The MT-07 Forum

Might have to sell

yamahappy74

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

*sigh*
I've recently come to the realization that money is a lot tighter than I would like it to be. The only bill I have that I can eliminate is my bike payment, which would also cut my insurance. My fiancé and I would like to get married some time in the next century but damn if we're not having a hard time saving for it. It makes me sad to even think about it, but priorities....

• Premium Member

Do what you have to for now you can always get one later or get a friend that has two and lets you ride one.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Sorry, bro, I know how you feel. I had to file chapter 13 about 14 years ago and had to give up either a new car or a new bike and of course the car is more practical so I said farewell to the Yamaha XT 350 but I have an FZ 07 now, paid for in cash and NO ONE is taking my bike ever again! - Talk to the the Remington 870 biotches!

Beemer

fromthecage

I can understand that kind of reason. I've had my fair share of financial struggles as of late. You will get through this and will find your leeway again soon. When I got married, the wife and I got hitched at the courthouse so we could have a decent week-long honeymoon and were able to save a bit of scratch.

we need more info like age, occupation, what your expenses are and lets see if we can fix this.

• Global Moderator

I vote bike, fiance can wait a few more months :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

You can always find another fiance. Just kidding, it sounds like you have your priorities straight. In a few years you will be able to afford another bike and who knows what Yamaha will have available then. Keep us posted and even if you sell it you are still welcome at this forum.

If you have a little scratch to blow, you can always get a dirt cheap dirt bike for fun until you can afford another FZ 07 or other new bike. If it were me, I would have more fun on a dirt bike anyway, if it's a thrill you want instead of transportation. Craig's List awaits you!

Beemer

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

It's a very hard decision to make. Neither of us want me to sell it, but I just don't see another option right now. She suggested selling her own but I forbid it. You don't see Triumph Adventurers anywhere and she'd never be able to replace it like I can mine. Not sure what I can get for it. I'm still in for $5875 at the bank. I would hope I could get $6500 out of it. It only has 1300 miles and it's mint. I realize that a new bike is $6600-$6700 at some dealers now, but that doesn't include tax and fees.

I got a bike for my wife .... best TRADE ever  :P

Bike,...Fiance,...Bike,...Fiance.../ponder...

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

If your schedule permits it, have you considered taking on a part time job to bring in extra cash?  

Been with my wife for 22+ years. Best advise I can give is:

RUN!

RUN AWAY!

RUN AWAY SCREAMING!

From the girl that is, not the bike. Your bike will keep your sane, girls.....well they drive you crazy! LOL.

bmwpowere36m3

While not married, yet... All I can say is that life with another person is a compromise. I mean everything, even the little things. You can't just think about yourself anymore. Generally speaking I'd be happier spending my life with another and making some compromises (mutually of course) vs. alone doing what I want... too a degree that is.

I'm not saying give up the bike, but it seems more of a financial thing vs. they just don't want you to ride. Sometimes you have to make tough choices. Plus I don't think he said she's "making" him sell it. If times where tough I'd consider selling some of my toys if it made financial sense, with the goal of having them back in the future.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

If your selling your bike to help make ends meet I totally get it. If you are doing it to pay for a wedding that's a different story. Having a big wedding with hundreds of people there is every brides dream, i guess. But a smaller, cheaper wedding still does the job. Go to the courthouse then take your new bride for a cool tip on the bikes! Ive personally made a lot of stupid mistakes as far as money is concerned. I waste money on things i don't need ect. But cutting back a little in a lot of places sure does add up quickly. I also enjoy my toys, I have 5 cars, 2 jet skis, a boat, the FZ07, and a small arsenal of Firearms. 6 years ago I was absolutely broke and about to foreclose on my house. (before all my toys) I started cooking every meal instead of eating out, I rode my bicycle to work to save gas money, and I started volunteering with a High school FIRST robotics team because they had free dinners 5 days a week. Moral of the story is be creative see where you can cut back things and try to keep the toys you enjoy so much. Adult life is so much more than working and paying the bills.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
If your selling your bike to help make ends meet I totally get it. If you are doing it to pay for a wedding that's a different story. Having a big wedding with hundreds of people there is every brides dream, i guess. But a smaller, cheaper wedding still does the job. Go to the courthouse then take your new bride for a cool tip on the bikes! Ive personally made a lot of stupid mistakes as far as money is concerned. I waste money on things i don't need ect. But cutting back a little in a lot of places sure does add up quickly. I also enjoy my toys, I have 5 cars, 2 jet skis, a boat, the FZ07, and a small arsenal of Firearms. 6 years ago I was absolutely broke and about to foreclose on my house. (before all my toys) I started cooking every meal instead of eating out, I rode my bicycle to work to save gas money, and I started volunteering with a High school FIRST robotics team because they had free dinners 5 days a week. Moral of the story is be creative see where you can cut back things and try to keep the toys you enjoy so much. Adult life is so much more than working and paying the bills.
I absolutely plan on getting a bike again, probably as early as next summer. I just need to be able to save some money for us to get married, and then I can get back to my toys. She rides too, so this is purely financial. We aren't having a big wedding. I've been married and I'm not doing that again, and fortunately, she agrees that a big wedding is silly and expensive. It's like throwing a huge party for a bunch of people you haven't seen in 10 years or barely even know at all. No thanks. Right now, we're talking about going to Lake Tahoe for a small, intimate wedding, we really only need a couple thousand dollars (plane tickets n whatnot).
I think I'm going to try and work this out without selling. I'll keep you all updated. For now, though, I'm still riding. It's time for my second oil change this weekend.

bmwpowere36m3
Marriage is really cheap at your local courthouse.
I'd like to see "most" guys convince their fiancées of that… ;)  I'd rather have a cheaper wedding, but amazing/long honeymoon.

• Global Moderator
I'd like to see "most" guys convince their fiancées of that… ;)  I'd rather have a cheaper wedding, but amazing/long honeymoon.
With that long honeymoon including a motogp training session?

Op: cant really see any fault in your logic, but i would also reccommend following twister's path a bit and cut back if you can

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

You have a good woman. She has a bike, she wants you to have a bike and she's not extravagant. I hope you can keep your bike. I lost one 6 years ago and wanted another one more than anything else but something was always happening and I had to wait 5 years for another bike. It was awful.

bmwpowere36m3
With that long honeymoon including a motogp training session? 
Op: cant really see any fault in your logic, but i would also reccommend following twister's path a bit and cut back if you can

Maybe :devil-look:

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
My fiancé is of the same opinion, actually. She doesn't want a big wedding. Just a pretty dress and a nice memory. That's the least I can do for this woman who has improved my life in every conceivable way. 

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Good news! I think we may have worked something out so that I won't need to sell. We came into a windfall that we're going to use to pay off a couple of loans, which frees up a couple of hundred a month that can be set aside.

Archived