The MT-07 Forum

No headlight

fz07nc

So today I was set to upgrade my headlight to the 3800 lumens Cyclops H4 LED bulb, but I encountered a couple hiccups.  Upon testing operation of the headlight, I found that it was not turning on.  I reinstalled my original bulb and that did not turn on either.  Since I do a lot of daytime riding, I'm thinking that my headlight has been out for some time now.  I checked the 15A headlight fuse at the box and it looked fine.  
Has anyone else encountered this?

I will add that the lower light in the headlight housing is working, but the larger, main light is not.  A few weeks ago I did lowside and break off part of the headlight switch that allows you to change between high and low beams.  Could this be my problem?  The switch only appeared to be broken at the physical portion that your left thumb contacts.

Other electrical modifications are an LED Blinker genie to have my front turn signals operate as daytime running lights.  I also have the EJK controller from Dobeck.

Thanks in advance.

• Global Moderator

I would double check the fuse for an open. If you have an ohm meter, the resistance should be about .20 ohms or OL then remove the headlamp switch to check for open/broken contacts

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I had this happen to me from the dealership, they broke the headlight switch and neither does the low beam or high beam turn on, they had to order a new control assembly to fix the issue, it was around 70 bucks.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll check the fuse for an open. I have a multi-meter I can use to check resistance/continuity.

My bike was running at the time of testing.

Thanks for the note noltz. I suspect that the switch is broken. Can you confirm that the bulb in the lower portion of the headlight housing was working when your low and high beams would not turn on? Did they need to order the left handlebar switch?
[/img]

• Premium Member
Thanks for the note noltz. I suspect that the switch is broken. Can you confirm that the bulb in the lower portion of the headlight housing was working when your low and high beams would not turn on? Did they need to order the left handlebar switch?
[/img]

Yea, the light that turns on with the key on (parking light) indeed worked with the broken switch, the switch isn't available by itself, they had to order the whole left side assembly "1WS-83972-00-00"   

I have this switch on order. Crossing my fingers that you're right noltz ;)

Either way, I needed a new switch because the rocker portion broke off of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

New left handlebar switch installed and still no headlight... I have not tested the relay yet; that's my next step.

I'm not sure what happened since installing the new left handlebar switch and now, but my new headlight is working. I've notice that this new one does not come on with key on, engine NOT running.

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure what happened since installing the new left handlebar switch and now, but my new headlight is working. I've notice that this new one does not come on with key on, engine NOT running.
Possibly got your switch contacts swapped. I had that problem with the hazards when moved the switch

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Headlight comes on when engine is running,the little light comes on together with the cantaloupes when engine is off.  

Archived