The MT-07 Forum

Trying to describe a noise...

luke325i

Ok this is my first bike, and ive heard sport bikes make this sound before...is it an ok sound?

So its not RPM sensitive and i can only hear it when theres a car or barrier next to me. And it continues in neutral when coasting. Its kind if a fast clicking noise, similar to if you hear a boat motor while you are under water in a lake...i know, weird but thats the best way to describe it.

Is it valve noise or chain noise? Im leaning towards chain noise....but i dunno. Fast clicking....

Its gotten louder since my first service. Bike has 1400km on it.

Update:

Had my dad push me in neutral with motor off and noise is there. Coming from rear sprocket area, is chain noise normal?

Yes.
If you are concerned, check your chain slack as shown in your Owner's Manual.
You don't want it too tight.

bmwpowere36m3

Chain noise probably… some is normal, but that's subjective. Check the chain tension and clean/lubricate the chain… that's as good as it gets. If the tapping/clicking was RPM dependent, then I'd say valve-train noise, which is also normal.

I experience this noise as well. I just assumed that it was the chain on the sprocket and I've heard other people on the forums have this problem too. There is a thread on this too I'm pretty sure. I'll try finding it when I get home.

shaneallen23
Chain noise probably… some is normal, but that's subjective. Check the chain tension and clean/lubricate the chain… that's as good as it gets. If the tapping/clicking was RPM dependent, then I'd say valve-train noise, which is also normal.
Does the valve-train noise diminish/go away when throttling down and coasting/idling? I've noticed that there's an egg-timer like sound coming from my bike after I had its first service. I would say it's frequency is pretty RPM dependent, although the volume never changes.

Archived