The MT-07 Forum

Men's Helmet Recommendations Please!

ladyfz

Hey dudes,
I need your recommendations for men's helmets—

I want to buy my husband a new motorcycle helmet for his upcoming birthday since his was recently stolen (along with his dual sport Yamaha WR250R)... My budget is probably no more than $375 (that's pushing it!) It should be full face helmet (his preference). He's hoping to get another dual sport bike so if you know of any dual sport helmets that are awesome, I'm all ears. But a regular street full face recommendation is OK too because he also has a vintage Kawasaki.

Your opinions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

bmwpowere36m3

This won't be helpful, but helmets are like shoes… nothing like trying it on. There are so many different helmets out there and a variety of "shapes" (internal), from round, oval to long. Best to have him try it on and wear it for as long as possible to see if he gets any "hot-spots".

If you have to order it, go through revzilla for the free returns if he doesn't like it/doesn't fit.

Also go to their YouTube channel and look at their helmet buyers guide so you can see Anthony tell you about helmets in your price range.

This won't be helpful, but helmets are like shoes… nothing like trying it on. There are so many different helmets out there and a variety of "shapes" (internal), from round, oval to long. Best to have him try it on and wear it for as long as possible to see if he gets any "hot-spots".
Oh man, you're totally right. Duh. It's been a long time since he bought the last one so I completely forgot about those details. Crap! Maybe I should just buy his gloves instead.

I was thinking of getting something similar to the Shoei he had, like this Bell http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-rs-1-helmet-solid

@ladyfz

If you want to make him freak out when he opens it, get this one.

AGV AX-8 DS EVO GT Helmet

http://images1.revzilla.com/product_images/0101/1706/agvax8_dsevogt_helmet_black_silver_red_detail.jpg

I own one and it's the best Dualsport helmet I have ever worn. Awesome looking, very comfortable and great protection!

Or you can go the route of wrapping a picture of a helmet and tell him he can pick anyone out he wants within that price. That way he can choose and try them on of he goes to a local gear store. I still would go with Revzilla because there prices are the best, but I think you could still get it for him without actually getting it for him, iff you know what I mean. Haha

I dig that blue/white combo.. dangit! Why does it have to be so $$$!!

@ladyfz 
If you want to make him freak out when he opens it, get this one.

AGV AX-8 DS EVO GT Helmet

http://images1.revzilla.com/product_images/0101/1706/agvax8_dsevogt_helmet_black_silver_red_detail.jpg

I own one and it's the best Dualsport helmet I have ever worn. Awesome looking, very comfortable and great protection!

@ladyfz

This is my second choice, and at an awesome low price for the quality. Bell has quietly become one of the most protective helmets on the market, and they look great too.

Bell MX-9 Adventure Barricade Helmet

http://images2.revzilla.com/product_images/0112/8250/bell_mx9_adventure_barricade_helmet_detail.jpg

I study up on helmet testing in England. DOT and Snell tests are worthless, more political than ssafety testing. But the English take random helmets off the store shelves, quietly and take them into the laboratory and test actual impact zones all over each helmet. When tested this way, Shoei and Arai don't always test out so well, especially their latest models.

Bell and AGV, however, are almost always five stars in the impact tests for every model that they make.

Bell's $199 helmets often outperform most of the $400 helmets tested. AGV is getting that way too.

Looks are great, but I love living and being able to control my involuntary muscles in public so I stick with Bell and AVG helmets. I hit a tree on a dirtbike three years ago, head right into the tree at 30 mph or so and my Bell helmet saved my life. I sent them a pic along with a letter and they sent me back a free helmet.

Or you can go the route of wrapping a picture of a helmet and tell him he can pick anyone out he wants within that price. That way he can choose and try them on of he goes to a local gear store. I still would go with Revzilla because there prices are the best, but I think you could still get it for him without actually getting it for him, iff you know what I mean. Haha
This might actually save me my sanity! 

I have three helmets currently, a Shoei X11, Suomy SR Sport and Suomy MX Tourer. The Tourer is what I reach for ninety percent of the time. It's the lightest helmet I've ever owned and even has an internal flip down sun visor.

Archived