The MT-07 Forum

Loud knock when starting engine in motion and shift to 2nd

bmwpowere36m3

• Premium Member

Normal. Mine did this as well. Switch to at least semi-synthetic oil if you've not already done so. I'm at about 7k and I can't remember the last time I heard this.

• Premium Member

I've been told (by the manual) that the transmission doesn't get lubricated while in neutral. That could factor into this in some way.

Everything went braap.

Guest Ralph
I've been told (by the manual) that the transmission doesn't get lubricated while in neutral. That could factor into this in some way.
Would have to look but pretty sure the gear box gets oil from the pressure system from the engine, older gear boxes  just relied on oil being slashed about by the gear teeth that ran in the oil but the 07 as a stacked box and the
gears are way above the oil level so it as to be pumped, It was likely just a mis match of revs and speed that 
caused the clunk.

Mine has done weird stuff like down shifting suddenly when I didn't touch the shifter and has made loud clunks here and there as well. I'm sure it's ok but a piece of advice. I wouldn't get in the habit of turning the engine off when on the road no matter the situation. You never know when you might have to take off quickly to avoid a car. You bike isn't going to over heat running and the gas you save isn't worth it.

Beemer

Archived