The MT-07 Forum

Bike took forever to start today...

RobMoore

... after sitting in the sun all day. I don't know if it's related to that, but there was what looked like an error message when I turned it on.

I don't quite remember what it said, something like "speed" but with the characters broken up.

Eventually it fired up, but I had to give it a dozen tries first.

Any ideas?

• Global Moderator

Error message would have been "sd" followed by a number. Perhaps it was a fuel vapor lock. If you notice the last two digits of the error code next time someone can look it up for you.

Yup, that was it. I will take note of the numbers next time if it happens. I can look it up in my service manual.

I was kinda pissed off (and not looking forward to hearing my wife's reaction to having to come pick me and my new bike up), and I wasn't thinking to remember them.

These bikes don't seem the best starters. Mine has acted up a couple times where it would not start easily.

Mine (the wife's too) usually has to turn over a bit before it fires up. Previous fuel injected bikes were immediate.

Cracking the throttle a bit seems to help and letting the fuel pump cycle fully.

amycyclenut

This jives with my experience too. Previous FI bikes I've had fired up practically instantaneously but this bike takes noticeably longer. At least now I know it's "normal".

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

• Global Moderator

Took mine in today for the 12k service, im having them look into this issue since its only started acting up in the past 1k miles or so.
Ill let ya guys know if they find anything out of whack

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I would also like to add that mine as well takes longer than my other bikes to start, about 2-3 seconds of cranking as opposed to a 1/2 second on my ZX6r.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I've noticed it too. I'm only a little over 1,300 miles but it wasn't doing this until recently. I guess I just figured it was time for an oil change and that's why it was happening.

• Premium Member

With the ignition on, moving the switch from kill to run will kick on a pump. I believe it pressurizes the fuel rails. You guys letting that happen first? Or just going from kill to trying to start the motor without letting it prime?

Everything went braap.

I always let the fuel pump cycle fully, even on my car, before starting. Rushing it could have been the issue one time my bike did not start. Lineup of traffic waiting for me ... lol.

• Global Moderator

Turns out my throttle cable was opening one of the throttle bodies a bit too early, causing an odd vibration and the hard start condition

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Error message would have been "sd" followed by a number. Perhaps it was a fuel vapor lock. If you notice the last two digits of the error code next time someone can look it up for you.
I had this same thing happen to me over the weekend. I got an error message of Sd_ _ 19.  Does anybody know what could of caused it to throw this code and not start?

travisaurusrex

You can't have the engine running and the bike in gear with the kickstand down. Was that the issue?

Turns out my throttle cable was opening one of the throttle bodies a bit too early, causing an odd vibration and the hard start condition
Interesting. I never thought to look at that when I was in there doing the sync.  Throttle body sync would be nigh impossible if this were the case I imagine. 
What I used to do on outboard engines was run a wire from each butterfly linkage to a common point. By watching the tips of the wires I could tell if the butterflies were opening at the same time whilst cracking the throttle. A poor man's carb sync.

Guest Ralph

The engine is fitted with a auto decompresser to give the small battery and lightweight
starter a little help with spinning over the engine maybe that as something to do with it.

bmwpowere36m3
Interesting. I never thought to look at that when I was in there doing the sync.  Throttle body sync would be nigh impossible if this were the case I imagine. 
What I used to do on outboard engines was run a wire from each butterfly linkage to a common point. By watching the tips of the wires I could tell if the butterflies were opening at the same time whilst cracking the throttle. A poor man's carb sync.

That's because he worded it incorrectly.  Both butterflies are on a common shaft.  If one moves, they both move.  TB sync does not alter their relationship, it simply changes how much air is bypassed via a screw/needle.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Some FI systems need to see two crank/cam position signals before it activates the coils the ensures that they are firing on the compression stroke. I think this is why these bikes take so long to start. Of course I have no proof, but my bike seems to take one full revolution to fire up. I had the same issue you had one time and I walked away for a few hours and it was fine again.

bmwpowere36m3

I've noticed the same, at 1800 miles it definitely takes an extra second for the bike to start… If it's really hot out, it takes a little longer (assuming is partially vapor lock). I always shut the bike off via the key and when I turn it on, I wait for the pump to cycle before engaging the starter.

Archived