The MT-07 Forum

Horn

Beemer

Has anyone installed a new horn on the FZ 07 and if so is it much better than the stock turd? I talked to a sheriff yesterday and he said although the state of Fl. requires the horn to be the same specs as the factory horn, if you don't abuse it and don't act like a tardling with it a sheriff won't bother you for having an air horn, especially a motorcycle sheriff. Question is, will an air horn fit on this bike? Has anyone installed one or think it will fit in place of the stock horn?

Beemer

Has anyone installed a new horn on the FZ 07 and if so is it much better than the stock turd? I talked to a sheriff yesterday and he said although the state of Fl. requires the horn to be the same specs as the factory horn, if you don't abuse it and don't act like a tardling with it a sheriff won't bother you for having an air horn, especially a motorcycle sheriff. Question is, will an air horn fit on this bike? Has anyone installed one or think it will fit in place of the stock horn?
I've been looking at the denali sound bomb very seriously just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet as I'm away from home (tampa) for the next couple months. Glad to know the fl boys don't really care.

• Premium Member

The sound bomb will fit in the stock position, if you fabricate a bracket because of clearance issues.

I haven't tried yet, but you might even be able to hide it under the bodywork somewhere.

Considering selling the one I got (& wiring harness), because the location of the horn button nearly renders it useless to me. Brand new, just no box left.. I should probably list it and recoup what I can. Been sitting on my desk for like 6 months.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I put this one on. It's not a huge improvement but it does sound better than meep meep. Maybe I'm just used to it by now. I really like the Denali soundbomb though and may get it sometime.  :)

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Considering selling the one I got (& wiring harness), because the location of the horn button nearly renders it useless to me. 
So the button is different on this? Can't use the stock button? Where is it located?

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

What? No, it's the stock horn button that blows!

In 15,000 miles over 1 year, I haven't hit the horn when I meant to one single time. Bike might as well not have one.

The passing light switch is a good candidate to rewire to. Another function I haven't used yet, except to spook wildlife.

Everything went braap.

I was about to post today that I am thinking about switching the wiring for the flash to pass and the horn. It's easier to hit in a hurry.

I put this one on. It's not a huge improvement but it does sound better than meep meep. Maybe I'm just used to it by now. I really like the Denali soundbomb though and may get it sometime.  :)
Hey, thanks! I just looked at all H.F. horns for motorcycles and I might try the Bad Boy instead, it's 118 decibels compared to the 110. If I can't mount it I'll just return it for the one you got for cheap. I'm sure it's louder than the stock one and no mo meep, meep. Definitely an improvement!

Beemer

• Premium Member

I put this on. I had to modify the bracket just a bit. It is definitely louder than the stock but, nothing to brag about.

[attachment id=785" thumbnail="1]

When adding horns, if you are going to use the stock switch, make sure the new horns are not drawing a lot more current the the OE eeper. Chances are, if it's a lot louder, it is drawing more current. A pair of horns definitely will. You may find yourself one day with a welded stuck horn switch and a horn blasting away.

Best thing to do is to switch a relay thru the bike's horn button wiring and then drive the horns with 14 or so (12g might be overkill, but can't hurt) gauge wiring direct from the battery (fused of course)

Archived