The MT-07 Forum

needed fz07 turbo kit

cleeds

I've looked into it after seeing the Australian company extreme creations turbocharge the mt09.
They use a small garrett oil only turbo mounted at the rear fed with a scavenge pump with a fitting from the oil fill plug.
Would need a custom aluminium airbox, a rising rate fuel reg, ecu's tuning and maybe lower compression even though they didn't with the mt09 but that makes over 200hp. It's a 10 grand job to pay someone else to do it. Then there's the " buy a bigger bike" debate.

http://www.store.extremecreations.com.au/yamaha-mt-09-turbo-kit

I love the idea of adding forced induction to this bike. Sure we can "buy a bigger bike", but that bigger bike we would buy, other people would have too. This would add a uniqueness unparalleled to most other bikes and it would give you tons more power. Besides, I love my 07 and I don't ever plan on selling it, so this is probably something I will do with mine in the far future. I would super charge mine though. I think that type of forced induction suits this bike better. This bike is already pretty twitchy, the last thing you would need is a turbo that suddenly kicks in and delivers a crap ton of power at once. Supercharging will give you more linear power.

Do they even make superchargers for bikes? There is no external drive system other than the chain drive, so powering it would be a challenge. A turbo setup would be easier and with a small turbo you could keep the power fairly linear.

Do they even make superchargers for bikes? There is no external drive system other than the chain drive, so powering it would be a challenge. A turbo setup would be easier and with a small turbo you could keep the power fairly linear.
Yes. Supercharged bikes are not to common, but they are definitely possible and people do them. An obvious example is the new Kawasaki Ninja H2R.

I've seen a few using small jet ski supercharges that are mounted higher up and run off a pulley, much nicer power delivery I would think but the custom engine casing and pulley are a bit daunting compared to a turbo set-up.

Also a garrett gt12 is rated to 130hp for 400cc to 1000cc engines or the garrett gt15 is rated for 150hp or 200hp for the water cooled version for 1000cc to 1600cc bikes.
I'd be leaning towards the 150hp gt15 because it is oil cooled only so less lines to run but might be a bit laggy as its rates for a higher capacity engine.

• Premium Member

The main issue I see is to lower the compression ratio. I, too, have spoken to the "bigger bike" response in another thread. Imho, anyone can simply buy a bigger bike, but it takes a real nutter to do something outrageously different. However, silly does cost (even when doing most the work oneself--don't ask how I know, and how many times), how silly do ya wanna be?!?

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

Yes... Turbo kit must made ASAP ... I do not plan on selling my lil scooter... Would be fun for Friday night " fun" (:))

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Do they even make superchargers for bikes? There is no external drive system other than the chain drive, so powering it would be a challenge.

When I used to be in a college FSAE team, we had a motorcycle engine where we put in a longer output shaft, machined a pulley, and attached it next to the sproket. The supercharger belt ran off that pulley. It was a very tedious job and not for the lighthearted. Plus it became unreliable. Definitely more a hobby and less practical

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Global Moderator

Would it not be practical to adapt one of the sportster turbo kits? Since theyre designed to handle the higher heats of an aircooled engine with a similar engine design, adapting ths exhaust would be the hardest part and could be a very fun project

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived