The MT-07 Forum

3D printed fender eliminator

japhillips87

japhillips87

I just finished my fender eliminator. I'm too cheap to buy one, so I designed and built one myself. You can download the part on thingiverse. I have also posted a few pics on imgur. Let me know what you guys think.

My only concern with a 3-D printed part for a motorcycle is that unlike an injection molded thermoplastic, 3-D printed plastic does not retain its shape after an extended amount of time. It will eventually droop and bend just naturally over time and after a year or so, it may not look the same or function the same as when you originally printed it. Nice work taking the initiative to make your own using 3-D modelling software, as a mechanical engineer student, I can respect that, but I don't think it will hold up long term. Just imho.

Awesome to see that you made your own! I really appreciate the time you put in to make the CAD model. My concerns are the strength and durability of the plastic, and the sharp corners of the design. When printed, steep changes in angles are usually where the material will break first. I'm happy to be proven wrong though! Keep us updated on its durability!

Nice work taking the initiative to make your own using 3-D modelling software, as a mechanical engineer student, I can respect that, but I don't think it will hold up long term. Just imho.
+1 for mechanical engineering, just graduated myself and had to go through multiple 3D printed aircraft fuselages during my last semester :) 

japhillips87

I printed it in ABS. This is the same material that legos are made of. It is a strong and, most importantly, flexible plastic. It is also more heat tolerant than some other plastics. While it is not as strong as nylon and some other thermoplastics, it should be fine. Most printers, like the Makerbot, use PLA plastic. It is more rigid but less tolerant to heat. It also breaks instead of flexing. I have a Prusa i3 printer. I would recommend it to others because of the quality of prints and wide range of materials that can be used. As far as the sharp corners go, that came down to laziness when making the design. I can round them off but I only spent like an hour on designing the model late at night. Printers can most certainly print curved parts, but depending on the type of printer, the finish would vary. I could print something like the wind screen but it would take lots of support material and I would have to finish the surface with an acetone bath. It would be a lot of work.

Archived