The MT-07 Forum

Reflash and Warranty - Any issues?

enels57

I'm liking the idea of a reflash but if it voids the warranty I am not so sure?  What do ya'll think?

Thanks

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

As long as you reflash it stock if there is an issue they won't be able to tell. It's similar to a cell phone and jail breaking/rooting you return it to stock there's no trace of tampering as the software was wiped clean and reset. The question now is are you will to spend extra money for a stock flash if they even offer it as an options, when a warranty issue comes into play.

I speak based off software and programming knowledge and no experience with flashing but the principle applies, they won't get a software engineer to probe your bike so reset to stock or reflash to stock and your good.

I'm liking the idea of a reflash but if it voids the warranty I am not so sure?  What do ya'll think?

Thanks

bmwpowere36m3

Magnoss... something act, basically states a manufacturer can't void your warranty unless the aftermarket part/accessory lead to the failure. So it kind of depends on what's failed and why your bringing the bike in to the dealer.

You can also send the ECU back to the tuner to get flashed back to factory settings.

• 1 month later...

Not sure about Yamaha cycles specifically, but my 2015 Mustang has a specific item in the computer that keeps track of any re-flashes and tells how many times it has been done. If the number does not match the Ford official database amount, it can be very difficult getting some specific work done under warranty. My understanding is that 2014 and older Mustangs do not have a re-flash count in their software.
What it means to us 2015 Mustang owners is that since the computer controls so many parameters of the engine and transmission and general electronics, if I have my Mustang re-flashed and some engine or transmission problem happens, the chance is very good that Ford will deny warranty coverage based on that re-flash number. Granted, the dealer service department will sometimes do official re-flashes. The reworking of the FZ-09 throttle mapping in 2014 is a perfect example.
Unless somebody has real live knowledge that Yamaha does NOT keep track of the number of re-flashes (as some other manufacturers do), I will stay cautious until the warranty is expired.

I am not trying to be alarmist or spread false info.  Just saying to be cautious unless you know for sure that it is not an issue rather than presuming that going back to the factory mapping will hide the re-mapping.

• Global Moderator

I think you bought your bike in the beginning of December last year right? If so, I would worry too much about warranty. I think the FZ07 comes with standard 1 year so you only have 8 weeks or so left.

pineappleunderthesea

The question will always be if the tune of a manufacturing defect is the issue in case you blow an engine.  Sure you can try to sue under Magnuson-Moss if the dealer finds out you were flashed and denies warranty, but the whole process takes months.  And money.  The most sensible answer is not to flash if you're worried about warranty.  

As mentioned, flash counters have been discussed in car forums for years now, some tuning companies (like APR for VW/Audi) seem to flash without the count going up, but no one has a definite answer on whether or not the manufacturer has other ways to detect.  So again, it's all about the risks you want to take, because dealers will use that to deny warranty.

So with that said:  I had 2 turbo cars that were flashed for many years, no issues.  Based on what I've read here, I wouldn't hesitate to get the tune from 2WDW, based on their posts it appears they do consider engine longevity and don't run at the very edge of things.  If you do blow the engine and you honestly truly feel it was a manufacturer defect, then you either take the flashed bike into the dealer and argue, or you flash back to stock (I would flash back using your original file that you saved on a memory stick--if you ship the ECU away, ask them to save it, the ROM ID number might be specific to your bike--dealer sees a different ROM ID, then they know you flashed)

Archived