The MT-07 Forum

White FZ-07 - Simple to Extreme build

Maverick

Hello everyone, I'm beginning this thread to showcase my build process. I've had the bike for two months now and I couldn't ask for anything else. Comfortable, fast and looks good; can't be better. 

Below is how the bike looks today: 

Gooning%201%20of%201_zpsmiipw60z.jpg

So far I have:
[span]    - Red reflective rim tape
[span]    - Givi Windscreen (Love this)
[span]    - Tail tidy kit
[/span][/span][/span][span]    - Frame Sliders
[span]    - Rear Axle Sliders

[/span][/span]Next upgrades in the next month(s):
[span]    - Removing the front reflector
[/span][span]    - Removing the nasty safety tape on the tank
[span]    - Bar end mirrors
[span]    - Shorty levers
[span]    - Radiator Guard
[span]    - Paint Job![/span][/span]

[/span][/span][/span]This is a photoshop image I produced of how I want the bike to look like: 

2015-Yamaha-FZ-07-01_zpsstnssf3p.png

Any suggestions on how to cut/remove the rear seat/cowl will be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I would cut it and move the electronics underneath the seat. Of course I would have to get different rims and get knobbies on there. Anyone have experience riding with them? Are they loud? Differences in riding? 

Also, in the pic I lowered the front head lamp housing; is that possible? 

Any comments will be greatly appreciated on this EPIC build process.

• Premium Member

Tires yes, frame chop hell no.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

That's a mad max machine! Haha awesome, the back of the frame there is just a few tubes to support the tail light I think if you took the plastics of the rear I'm sure you could just mark and cut it, people will be horrified by the thought of cutting a new bike haha. You will need to have some balls and a bit of fabrication know how I guess.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

It should have something behind the seat to keep your butt firmly planted; if you slide off at speed or wheelie you're in for an unpleasant surprise.  :o

Or a seatbelt??  O_o

Illegitimi non carborundum

???!!! You're kidding, right?! If you're seriously thinking of making that for the road I'll tell you right now DON'T DO IT. Knobbies suck for the road, they get about as much traction as your street tire does in the dirt and yes, they will vibrate. Good for a fire road, maybe but that's about it. The FZ isn't good for a dirt bike either. Maybe with an extended rear swing arm and some serious other mods, including removing everything you can, it may make a halfway decent hill climb bike but I'm sure you bought all those mods on your bike now just so you could waste money.  ;)

Beemer

Haha, I wish you good luck buddy.

Although I can't say I am with you on the aesthetics dept., anyone willing to do some drastic change like cutting the frame, I applaud you and hope you are successful with your vision and outcome.

If you do succeed, you will have a one of a kind.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• 6 months later...

Any updates?  I'mgoing to be chopping the tail on mine as well, would love to hear from ya if you did it

• Premium Member
Hope everyone chopping your tails like being dirty lol

Could put a fender/tire hugger on there to prevent that. Whoever chops the tail should definitely take step by step pictures though to show us the process. It's going to look very unique for sure

Hope everyone chopping your tails like being dirty lol
Could put a fender/tire hugger on there to prevent that. Whoever chops the tail should definitely take step by step pictures though to show us the process. It's going to look very unique for sure
True, it would have to be a long hugger though. And I agree, very unique, I'd love to see pics too!

• Premium Member

I think this bike needs the circular headlight assembly too. I gotta learn to photoshop I'm so jealous of people who can.

If you have a look at the frame , chopping it should be a relatively simple affair BUT from the looks of the total frame , you will need to ensure a solid crosspiece ( or pieces ) to maintain the torsional strength and rigidity.  To me the best spot to cut would be straight across where the end of the lower tubeends. Then weld a 4-6mm strap across the ends. ( ie so it closes them off and gives maximium weld onto the tubes). If you then welded a flat piece against that plate and weld it to top tubes ( "L" cross section) , it will give you a place to attach the seat unit
I have done this sort of thing a lot on proddy racers ( usually an allowable mod which makes the bike lighter and allows a better shaped seat unit to be made). Sometimes can't be done ( KTM690Duke) but usually can improve the handling if done right.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

He still logs on, so I'll tag him here and see if he has followed through any. What's your status @maverick ?

I must admit though, @ilie1977's FZ looks close to that save for the frame chop.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Agreed that it would need a circular headlight.  I'm sort of looking for an aggressive scrambler look.  My brother is a very good welder so I'll be having him help me with the fabrication of a tire hugger fender/plate holder and tail structure and support.  It'll be a couple months though, as I don't even have the bike yet, buying it off the showroom floor :o   if that doesn't make some of you cringe lol.  I'll make a thread of the process when i begin though.  sort of looking for a look like these pics.

cgdzmgy.jpg
[div]
[/div] 
OqyNkCh.jpg

• Global Moderator

Why not buy it crated?.... it'll save you a bit of money

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 9 months later...

has anyone heard anything further on this? i'd like to do the same thing. the only thing that no one has brought up is fitting the old taillight (or possibly creating a custom one) as well as the plastic that makes up the rear tail section. i would love to hear any input on the matter

• Premium Member
has anyone heard anything further on this? i'd like to do the same thing. the only thing that no one has brought up is fitting the old taillight (or possibly creating a custom one) as well as the plastic that makes up the rear tail section. i would love to hear any input on the matter

You could get away with grabbing an FZ 09 taillight and putting it on there because on the 09 it looks like it's just glued on anyways.

• 2 months later...
versysrider

It's very annoying when someone posts a build thread then are never heard from again, happens far too often. When I've posted a build, I posted after completion, and mine was completed in 4 months. The OP had an interesting vision, relatively simple too, just got to be committed to cut a frame. I never understood the now common theme of putting knobbies on a street bike, something like Avon Distanzia's would make much more sense.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

Agreed that it would need a circular headlight.  I'm sort of looking for an aggressive scrambler look.  My brother is a very good welder so I'll be having him help me with the fabrication of a tire hugger fender/plate holder and tail structure and support.  It'll be a couple months though, as I don't even have the bike yet, buying it off the showroom floor :o   if that doesn't make some of you cringe lol.  I'll make a thread of the process when i begin though.  sort of looking for a look like these pics. 

cgdzmgy.jpg
[div]
[/div] 
OqyNkCh.jpg

Dude, that second pic is a FZ-07.

This is as many of you have probably seen, the MVB concept MT07 conversion using their parts for the super seven, some are off the shelf, some not available, A look is one thing, but ridability is another. Knobbys look cool but are dangerous on a bike this powerful on the street. They will buckle under in a corner or squish out from under you. Depends on if you want a show bike, or a bike to actually ride. If it were me I would go with a 60/40 dual sport type tire like the Shinko 705. more pics here: http://thebikeshed.cc/2016/09/15/jvb-moto-mt-super-7/

mt_super7_13_web.jpg

chademinent
This is as many of you have probably seen, the MVB concept MT07 conversion using their parts for the super seven, some are off the shelf, some not available, A look is one thing, but ridability is another. Knobbys look cool but are dangerous on a bike this powerful on the street. They will buckle under in a corner or squish out from under you. Depends on if you want a show bike, or a bike to actually ride. If it were me I would go with a 60/40 dual sport type tire like the Shinko 705. more pics here: http://thebikeshed.cc/2016/09/15/jvb-moto-mt-super-7/ 
mt_super7_13_web.jpg

I posted the link to these guys back in January.  Never heard anything from OP

Archived