The MT-07 Forum

Backpack w built-in CE armor?

crescentwrench

crescentwrench

Anyone know of any companies that make backpacks with CE armor already in them?

So far I have found a brand called Evoc, and it looks like Alpinestars has made a pack or two in the past with armor, too.

What else is out there?

crescentwrench

Yes that's mostly what I could get up on Amazon too... Those aluminum backpacks (are those just for show??), some hard shell backpacks, and stuff that's for "protecting your gear." I'm looking more for CE armor for your back, in the area of the backpack that sits against your back.

• Premium Member

Maybe find a backpack with a laptop space that can play as the CE armor holder?
I think it's easier to move armor from pack to pack or jacket to jacket than being stuck with one particular backpack. I should know - I change backpacks and jackets all the time.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Sorry, the thing that stuck in my mind was "what else is out there?" Of course you only meant backpacks with CE armor when you said that but it didn't come with a wake-up slap.  x_x

Beemer

crescentwrench
Sorry, the thing that stuck in my mind was "what else is out there?" Of course you only meant backpacks with CE armor when you said that but it didn't come with a wake-up slap.  x_x

No worries! Thanks for trying to be helpful at all!

Those backpacks are awesome! Not sure about using bulletproofing for crash protection though. Never thought of it.
Those must be crazy heavy!

No worries! Thanks for trying to be helpful at all!

Those backpacks are awesome! Not sure about using bulletproofing for crash protection though. Never thought of it.
Those must be crazy heavy!
I don't know, they make them for kids too and they carry them but then again, it's not CE armor. Good luck with that.

Beemer

crescentwrench

I just decided to upgrade my existing back protector in my jacket instead, and bought a "regular" backpack (neon so I will be seen), with a laptop sleeve, so if I really want I can slip in more armor there, too. Cheaper option it seems, while still meeting all my criteria.

• Premium Member
Yes that's mostly what I could get up on Amazon too... Those aluminum backpacks (are those just for show??), some hard shell backpacks, and stuff that's for "protecting your gear." I'm looking more for CE armor for your back, in the area of the backpack that sits against your back.

If its the same ones...I read an article on them and its just painted plastic....furthermore you do not want this stuff flying around in a crash. A backpack in a crash is dangerous in more ways than one. If you just want back protection I would suggest either a piece for your jacket (if it has a pocket for it) or an strap on style for underneath your jacket. Just my two cents.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

crescentwrench

@ Mr. Puss - thanks for the two cents. I will be commuting to and from grad school, so am pretty set on bringing a backpack along. I'll definitely think twice about slipping anything in the laptop sleeve. Of course, there will be days I'd be bringing my giant laptop itself...

Any reason not to go with a jacket that has the CE armor in it (or added to it as most cases are)? Personally, I'd rather have the armor in my jacket than in my pack. Packs, even when well fitting, can shift around a lot more in a get-off. I don't see any real benefit of the armor being placed in the pack itself. Just my $0.03.

That said, the Kriega R25 has a hard plastic (not CE rated) piece that stiffens up the back side (closest to your body) of the pack It also has a laptop sleeve that can hold the armor and there is tons of padding where it comes in contact with your back. You can add this to it: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-forcefield-back-protector-insert This insert can be added to any pack, really.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Of course, there will be days I'd be bringing my giant laptop itself...
All the more reason to put the armor in a jacket and let the bag just carry stuff, like your laptop, if you ask me.  Most bags will put the armor in the laptop sleeve, if there is one, making it a lot harder to fit a larger laptop in it.  

crescentwrench
Any reason not to go with a jacket that has the CE armor in it (or added to it as most cases are)? Personally, I'd rather have the armor in my jacket than in my pack. Packs, even when well fitting, can shift around a lot more in a get-off. I don't see any real benefit of the armor being placed in the pack itself. Just my $0.03.  
That said, the Kriega R25 has a hard plastic (not CE rated) piece that stiffens up the back side (closest to your body) of the pack It also has a laptop sleeve that can hold the armor and there is tons of padding where it comes in contact with your back. You can add this to it: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-forcefield-back-protector-insert This insert can be added to any pack, really.

Of course, there will be days I'd be bringing my giant laptop itself...
All the more reason to put the armor in a jacket and let the bag just carry stuff, like your laptop, if you ask me.  Most bags will put the armor in the laptop sleeve, if there is one, making it a lot harder to fit a larger laptop in it.  
Yep thanks! I ended up going with a beefed up CE back protector to put in my existing jacket, and then went with a neon backpack (for high vis) that fits my dinosaur laptop (and... as I just found out, expands to fit 4 quarts of valvoline [on sale for $3.99 a quart at AutoZone right now!] AND an oil drainage pan!!!). Best freaking 35 bucks I've spent in a while!

Nice! Glad you found something that makes you happy! Others' opinions are just that - opinions. At the end of the day, you gotta go with what yo're happy with.

Archived