The MT-07 Forum

Dry Chain Lube and Painted Rims

isra

Odd question, but I got a can of Dupont Chain Saver - the stuff in the yellow can - it seems to do a nice job.

I've gotten into the habit of spraying it on the chain after nearly every ride while the chain is still hot.  My chain looks clean and hasn't had any issues after 2100mi so I suppose it works well. 

My question is though, I spray rather haphazardly and some gets on the beautiful blue painted wheels. It hasn't seemed to ruin the wheels or paint yet but should I be more careful?  Or will dry chain lube not affect the paint?

Thanks guys (and gals)

• Premium Member

I use the same stuff and just wipe down my rims and tires with a rag or paper towels after I'm done. It will not affect the paint... not a problem.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

It will get the rims dirty quicker, but that's about the extent of it.

Do however avoid spraying the tire tread.

Everything went braap.

I've been thinking about using some dry chain lube but I can't help but wonder if one sticks to the chain better when in the rain. All I know is the wet stuff I use feels waxy when dry and I'm confident it sticks really well. How about that dry stuff, anyone know?

Beemer

• Premium Member

Dupont Chain Saver is not really "dry", it too dries to a waxy finish. That said, I would still rewax after doing much riding in the rain.

Why can't left turners see us?

I basically just put it on the chain after every ride. Or after rain or washing the bike. It seems to be holding up well. What i like about it is that it doesn't fling and is basically no mess. Chain has no rust and is in good shape : And easy to apply.

Archived