The MT-07 Forum

Tail of the Dragon last weekend

cassecou

Rode the Tail of the Dragon last weekend.
Started in Knoxville, TN, where my French friends and I (with my daughter) stayed for the weekend, and rode down to Deals Gap, NC.
We made a loop going to Cherokee, NC, then Gatlingburg, Pigeon Forge and finally back to Knoxville (200 miles).
The scenery was amazing, the weather was perfect, in the 80's with low humidity, and the traffic was astonishingly light.
The movie is coming soon, but here are some pictures :
(FZ-07 was loaded up to 320lb. 80mph on Hwy 64 with plenty of power left to pass. 53mpg on Hwy and 62mpg during site seeing (averages).

860852_zpslr4b5ruh.jpg

TOD03_zps0tkzfdgl.jpg

4636192-129Slayer_zpsripvnlj0.jpg

TOD05_zpsuvxtwjkn.jpg

TOD04_zpshll61r0t.jpg

860851_zpsqzeq07is.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Am I the only one who sees a floating ball in the second picture? I really hope that's a water tower haha.

Or is it .....?

I noticed the "ball" immediately too. Awesome pictures. Do you have stick suspension? I love it that your daughter rides with you? How old is she? These are sweet memories for both of you to hold onto.

I can tell what that BALL is. There are few and they are actually on wires, presumably to warn low flying aircraft.
Oh I see the wires now on mobile the picture quality changes and the wires are indistinguishable so it looked like a ball way off in the distance. 

I like the looks of the radiator guard, which paint did you use? how much do you estimate was spend on this mod? :)
I've been wanting to put more Deep Purple Race Blue to my bike.

Those are some great pics !!
Yes, great pictures. Where is that movie you are talking about?????
Sorry for not posting the promised video. I just plain forgot. Here it is : 

I like the looks of the radiator guard, which paint did you use? how much do you estimate was spend on this mod? :) I've been wanting to put more Deep Purple Race Blue to my bike.
This is an exact match for the Yamaha Purple Blue. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5WH7NK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

If you want to do the radiator guards, I would suggest to lightly sand them first. My first trial was painting without sanding first, and the paint was flaking 6 month later. I then removed what was left of the paint and started over, adding a light sanding and an isopropyl alcohol/water clean before painting, the paint is now holding very nicely.

The cost was the price of the paint ($40) and some sand paper. But you will have a lot of paint left over in your can for an other project.

• Premium Member

I'll be up there in just over two weeks, can't wait!

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

I'll be up there in just over two weeks, can't wait!
Its a great ride that everybody should do once in their life, like the Hadj  ;) , and the trip to get there is half the fun, but doing it in early November ??? its gonna be cold. 

Archived