The MT-07 Forum

7 hour solo trip through mountains. What would you bring?

username

• Premium Member

So as the title says. I am bringing a rain cover and a 1 person tent just in case the rain comes. Any important items that you wouldn't leave home without for journeys that are quite long?

Go out when the weather forecast is 0% chance of rain and you won't need any special rain gear.
If you go in the higher elevations, take a sweater, temperature drops 5 degree F. per 1000 feet.
I would also take a tire repair kit.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Drinking water, snacks, pain reliever, any prescriptions in case you're out longer than planned, Spot satellite device.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ditto on the tire repair kit. I never leave home without it.

I also pack some tie straps, black tape, and a short chunk of wiring.

Mountains? Solo? Pup tent? Better take some bear spray. If you hear banjo music in the middle of the night run like hell. LOL.

• Premium Member

Ya the bear spray is a hell of a good idea along with these other suggestions. Thanks for the advice!

• Premium Member

Repair Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Helen-Zora-Tubeless-Motorcycle-Puncture/dp/B00X3JKREE

Tire compressor
http://www.amazon.ca/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4

Just bought these dunno if they are what a good kit would consist of but hopefully they get the job done. What does everyone else use?

• Premium Member

A tent so you have a dry place to wait out the rain. British Columbia mountains from Edmonton to Kamloops is the route.

Repair Kit http://www.amazon.com/Helen-Zora-Tubeless-Motorcycle-Puncture/dp/B00X3JKREE

Tire compressor
http://www.amazon.ca/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4

Just bought these dunno if they are what a good kit would consist of but hopefully they get the job done. What does everyone else use?
I don't understand repair kit manufacturers. They always forget the most important item. The soap spray bottle to find the hole. If you don't have soap, it can take you an hour before finding the hole. 
20150804_155016_zpswjafkmgv.jpg

Ditto on the tire repair kit. I never leave home without it. 
I also pack some tie straps, black tape, and a short chunk of wiring.

Mountains? Solo? Pup tent? Better take some bear spray. If you hear banjo music in the middle of the night run like hell. LOL.
[video src=https://youtu.be/Uzae_SqbmDE]  
Also, any pig squeals, ride like the wind!

Beemer

A tent so you have a dry place to wait out the rain. British Columbia mountains from Edmonton to Kamloops is the route.
You plan on sleeping over in the Jasper area? I wasn't kidding about the bear spray. 

Do NOT speed anywhere in the park. I counted 6 cop cars when I was through there in April. They do not tolerate speeders at all due to the road kill. If its dark keep your eyes peeled for wildlife.

Take your camera. Lots and lots of photo ops.  Have a blast!

• Premium Member

No It's not a plan to sleep anywhere except for the destination. I took your advice and got some bear spray also. Bears freak me the hell out after a co-worker showed me this thing on youtube about a guy and his wife who got too close to some grizzlies I think his name was Tim or something. Good idea to bring a camera too. The phone camera may have to do for stop shots and the sony action cam should be good for the riding itself. Would be nice to have a DSLR camera but then again it's a bit more to carry. Speeding probably won't be an issue for me. Usually I do 10% over the speed limit which is good enough for me but the not fast enough to get pulled over by the coppers. It's probably better not to go crazy with the speed by yourself on mountain roads as an inexperienced rider anyways.

Are you taking 16 West out of Edmonton to 5 S? Riding past Pocahontas, Snaring and Red Pass should be quite scenic or are you taking 2 S over to 1 W? I'm sure either route has it's treats.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Are you going for 7 hours or 7 DAYS?!? Simple: 1) check the weather forecast and dress accordingly; 2) check a map and if there aren't stops along the way where you want to eat and drink... take food and water; then, 3) get on your bike and RIDE!!! Have fun and all the best!!!

• Premium Member

It's only a 7 hour ride. I hope my buttocks can handle it the whole way there. Should be able to do it in one day. Definitely going to check the forecast to get an idea. I'm not sure about the route as of yet. Probably whatever google maps thinks is good. I should probably have a gander and check my options though

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
crazycracka501

Damn guys, I ride through the mountains all the time 7 and 12 hours at a time and have never taken a single thing except for my wallet, phone, jacket, helmet and riding boots. Although, the tire repair kit is a great suggestion and is going to be a permanent part of my bike from now on.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member

Yup Didn't end up going due to rain. Super pissed about it. Tried to tough it out for an hour but then my hands froze and lost most of their function so I had to turn around. Probably a good thing though because Jasper got snow so I probably would have been screwed if I kept going.

Damn guys, I ride through the mountains all the time 7 and 12 hours at a time and have never taken a single thing except for my wallet, phone, jacket, helmet and riding boots. Although, the tire repair kit is a great suggestion and is going to be a permanent part of my bike from now on.
This. If it's not gonna be more than a day before I see civilization, I don't bring anything beyond my riding gear and my purse. That's not even enough riding to need a pee break. Maybe I'm spoiled by living in a place with nice weather ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

Yup Didn't end up going due to rain. Super pissed about it. Tried to tough it out for an hour but then my hands froze and lost most of their function so I had to turn around. Probably a good thing though because Jasper got snow so I probably would have been screwed if I kept going.
You were going to go this long weekend? Yes, I saw snow in the west Alberta forcast. Nothing worse than freezing your arse off on a motorcycle. 
I did a 120 mile trip in April one time. Beautiful sunny morning. Left with a light jacket on(young and dumb). Was nice going up but I stayed too late and came home in the dark. 

There was a long section of highway where the snowbanks were still 10 feet high. It was clear and cold. Not freezing temps yet thank christ but I was concerned about traction.

To top it off, my bike quit. The battery shorted out on the seat blowing a fuse(younganddumb neglected to cover the positive post in his haste to hit the road). Luckily there was a spare but it was panic stations for a bit. No gas stations, no motels, no squat.

I'm sure I had hypothermia when I got home. Got into the bathtub and could not even feel the hot water I was so numb.

Good times.

Archived