The MT-07 Forum

Talk me off of the ledge!

wojo72

I've had my FZ07 for almost a year now.  I don't dislike the bike but handling of the bike is making me a little bit nuts.  First off I'm about 220lbs in gear.  I'm wondering if the bike was tuned for a lighter rider.  I bumped the rear shock up a few notches but it hasn't seemed to make much difference.

1)  I don't feel planted in the curves.  I feel like I am fighting the bike.  I chalked this up to being inexperienced but then I rode a demo FZ09 this past weekend.  The bike felt much more smooth in the curves.  Granted I couldn't push hard because I was well supervised.  This surprised me based on the articles on the web that said that the FZ07 suspension was better in stock form.

2) When braking the bike front end dives hard.  There isn't any adjustment in the front so I guess I'm SOL without an upgrade.

Are there any cheap ways to fix this?  If I have to sink a bunch of money to make the bike fit me then I might as well go trade it in.  I'm especially interested in hearing from the guys in my weight class.

• Premium Member

I think if you upgrade the suspension it will make a big difference. You're talking about trading a bike in because of its lackluster suspension system for another bike. To me that seems ridiculous. You're going to spend more money on another bike or new bike just to try and achieve what you're looking for in stock form? Doesn't make sense. Even if you spent $1500 to get a full front and rear suspension, that's still cheaper then getting another or new bike that you'll end up putting money into.

If I recall correctly, the suspension is tuned for a 180 lb rider. That said, I'm right at 180 and it's still too soft. Reason being, it's not tuned for sport, it's tuned for comfort/city riding.

My honest opinion is that if you put some money into the suspension and get it right for you, you'll still come in under what you'll pay for another bike. My reasoning is basically if you buy a bike in the same or lower price range, odds are unless you find one used and already set up for 220 lbs, you'll have to redo the suspension any way. Even on a more expensive bike, unless you go into the $10k+ range you're not looking at a whole lot of adjustability in the suspension, and at 220 lbs you may likely still need new fork springs.

I'm no suspension guru, but there sure are some on here that can help you better than I can. That's just my opinion from my 15 years of riding. Every bike I've ever owned I ended up completely overhauling the suspension on, from Ninja 250s to GSX-R600s to even my mountain bikes ha (except for my newest, which has no suspension on it).

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I am the same exact weight as you with gear on. That being said, I don't think my suspension is that bad. Maybe it's because I've never owned a bike with better suspension than this one, so I don't know the difference. In extreme and emergency turning situations I will say that I can feel the bike isn't planted very well and it isn't comfortable doing that kind of stuff, but other than that, I really have no issues with mine. Maybe there is something else wrong or you're just more sensitive to this kind of thing. I would see if there is a second 07 you can ride to compare with. And I agree with others here about the suspension. If you want out of the box great suspension on a naked bike, you're looking at the Ducatis, MV Agustas, and higher spec nakeds in every other brand. You will spend more money trying to upgrade to one of those than just putting some money into forks and a rear shock.

Want a great fork upgrade at a unbeatable price? Talk with @pattonme about his cartridge kit. I have his kit and it is best upgrade I have done. I have even bought his kit for my Ninja 300 track bike.

For the rear you can get your rear shock rebuilt and resprung by Traxxion or pick from number of shocks for under $700.

Upgrading both will cost you around $1200 but your bike will handle like a dream.

• Premium Member

I think the other posts are spot on. At my weight (145) the rear suspension was the weakest link, but I suspect at your weight, the front is totally inadequate to. I've replaced the rear shock, and replaced the front springs, but was still not satisfied, and have front cartridges arriving Monday. I think playing with the suspension is part of the game once you start thinking about the ride much. I think it's that way with most bikes though, especially those that are as inexpensive as the FZ-07.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

My setting for stock suspension was the [HASH]2 notch for my weight(175# suited)...

Even with this sub par stock suspension I find this lil bike more nimble than allota bikes and find that I can turn when i want it to turn even mid turn, heck I ffeel you can steer this bike by using your knees to push the tank...I came from dirt bikes and I don't mind the stock suspension mow cuz I learned it quirks and slightly modified my ride style to use the quirks to my advantage...I personally like a decent soft rear suspension for the feel and feedback and take offs to keep the back end squatted under hard acceleration...

This winter I'm dropping in the " damper rod kit" from traxion dynamic($350)and putting a penske($600+)rear shock for the total amount of about $1.1k which would prolly cure about  90% of the fz-07 suspension problems...

I would LOVE to put my dirt bike suspension on my fz-07...them KYB sss are a dream to ride on, imagine the fz-07 soaking up curbs all day long ...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The suspension was designed for 140lb rider give or take. It really is a shame that the manufacturers stress engine over suspension because the only thing that lets you push the envelope is suspension. Put a 150HP engine in a FZ07 and you'll still not be able to go any faster except in a straight line.

<quote>
I don't think my suspension is that bad. Maybe it's because I've never owned a bike with better suspension than this one, so I don't know the difference.
</quote>

exactly what the manufacturer is counting on, and why not. There's thousands of clueless newbies (no offense intended) introduced to the sport every day - and they will happily buy whatever is offered and think it's great supposed to be like that.

But to @wojo72's question you can definitely improve the riding experience with the right fork spring (0.95kg/mm), a heavier grade of fork oil (30 cSt range), and a replacement shock. http://fz07.org/post/25292

As to why the front end in particular sucks: http://fz07.org/post/30596/thread

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The suspension was designed for 140lb rider give or take. It really is a shame that the manufacturers stress engine over suspension because the only thing that lets you push the envelope is suspension. Put a 150HP engine in a FZ07 and you'll still not be able to go any faster except in a straight line.  
<quote>
I don't think my suspension is that bad. Maybe it's because I've never owned a bike with better suspension than this one, so I don't know the difference.
</quote>

exactly what the manufacturer is counting on, and why not. There's thousands of clueless newbies (no offense intended) introduced to the sport every day - and they will happily buy whatever is offered and think it's great.

But to the @wojo72's question you can definitely improve the riding experience with the right fork spring (0.95kg/mm), a heavier grade of fork oil (30 cSt range), and a replacement shock. http://fz07.org/post/25292

There's one of the aforementioned gurus right there!  Thanks for the clarification on the rider weight.  Not sure where I got 180 from, it was just in my head for some reason.   
As for the more expensive bike, what I was referring to was that they will have more adjustability in stock form than a less expensive bike (like the FZ-07).  That does not mean it will be a better or good suspension, just that it will be easier to tune without replacing any parts.  Again though, odds are you will be replacing parts no matter what you end up with.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Like others have said, it's cheaper to just modify the suspension and think about the engine in this bike. It's like a diamond. You get power, torque aaaand good gas mileage.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I'm 240 ish and think the suspension is fine I also have a buell with "better" suspension and think the FZ fits my needs as far as suspension.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

You can spend less than a thousand dollars US and upgrade the rear shock and forks and have a wonderful bike tuned specifically for you that rides like it is on rails. Considering many people have no problem easily spending that kind of dough on a bit of pipe and a metal can that makes their bike sound "better", it's a bargain IMHO.

I've upgraded my front forks with with Traxxion springs and modified the damper rod per pattonme's suggestion in the "Why the forks are pogo-sticks" thread. I'm a whole 120lbs and even I noticed the crappy front-end when corning. If you can afford it, upgrade to cartridges.

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

Something not right if you have not gained confidence in the bike after a year. They don't handle that bad.

I suspect something is wrong with yours. I'm around 200 lbs with the rear set at nine and I don't experience the severe front end diving you do. Possibly because I rarely brake hard entering corners? The harder you push this bike certainly shows the suspension shortcomings.

I am not impressed with the lack of rebound dampening in the rear more than anything.

Might be a good idea to trade up to something else. Nothing worse than a bike you don't enjoy or doesn't deliver what you want. Or you can spend a grand on upgrades and see how that goes but from what I'm reading you want something else.

Might be a good idea to trade up to something else. 
Be mindful that just because "it has clickers" doesn't mean the suspension still isn't sh*t. Witness the FZ09 and admittedly not as bad, the FJ09. Even the $12000+ sportbikes have missteps and if you're much outside the factory tester's weight class (140-160lbs) you'll still need to address the issue.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

<quote>
</quote>

exactly what the manufacturer is counting on, and why not. There's thousands of clueless newbies (no offense intended) introduced to the sport every day - and they will happily buy whatever is offered and think it's great.

But to @wojo72's question you can definitely improve the riding experience with the right fork spring (0.95kg/mm), a heavier grade of fork oil (30 cSt range), and a replacement shock. http://fz07.org/post/25292

No offense taken. I am in no way a newbie to the sport though. I've had 2 other bikes and a dirt bike prior to my 07 and have been on two wheels for the better part of 8 years. Like I stated though, none of those bikes have had that good of suspension, so I've just grown a custom to this bikes bad suspension. I don't think it is great. I know it could be so much better, but it isn't a huge deal for me right now. I will be upgrading my suspension eventually, just not soon.

Springs and oil $100 w/ shipping. Then pick a 5-600 shock from the list already posted above. Matris, Nitron, YSS

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
<quote>
</quote>

exactly what the manufacturer is counting on, and why not. There's thousands of clueless newbies (no offense intended) introduced to the sport every day - and they will happily buy whatever is offered and think it's great supposed to be like that.

I'm 145 lbs and think the suspension is OK, but not great. It is comfortable and handles "good enough" for street/canyons, but coming from an old 99 cbr600 f4, it is definitely a noticeable downgrade and I probably plan on doing some changes in the future.

I am 215 lbs. with my riding gear. I put in Traxxion springs and 15wt oil. It is a vast improvement. And cost around $300 with someone else doing the work.

The rear shock is only pre-load adjustable, just the sag, so no setting will make a vast difference. Now that I have upgraded the forks, and not a hardcore upgrade, I am feeling how the rear could be upgraded. But I am fine with it.

I'm kind of amazed that so many people will spend so much on exhaust. I would like the bike to sound better too, but suspension is the best place to spend some money IMHO.

Archived