The MT-07 Forum

My first crash

she3pdog

Firstly, I'm fine. My knee has some road rash on it and my leg is a little bruised and sore, but nothing is broken. Mental note to self, never skimp on riding pants again.

So, I've been away from home for about a month because of work, so I was a little out of practice when I got on my bike for the first time in a while yesterday. Some of you may remember that my fz07 was stolen, so I'm sporting my new-to-me fz8 on top of being out of practice.

I rode out of my buddy's garage, exit the neighborhood, and go to turn onto the main road. I, being really excited to ride after being caged up for so long, decide I want to open it up and get some speed going on this road, so I start the corner and give it some throttle. Well, Shado (my bike) was not appreciative of my aggressive throttling and skipped the back tire. So, the initial slide was totally my fault, but I've had the rear slide around on me before, so I didn't panic, I just got my hips off the bike and kept steady on the throttle. What I believe happened was that I was already giving it too much throttle, so keeping steady on it probably just made the problem worse, and the rear tire just swung to the side launching me into a backward tumble from the bike. I didn't feel a thing when I hit the ground (thanks Joe Rocket) and the next thing I remember is sprinting to my bike.

I was momentarily worried because it wouldn't start, but once I got it off the road, I remembered someone mentioning that when bikes get laid on their side, they won't always start right away because the fluids are all tossed around. It started after a couple minutes and ran fine. It has a bent lever, handlebar, and foot peg along with a scuff on the exhaust. Pretty much all things that I was going to eventually upgrade anyways, so I took the opportunity to get the stuff that I really wanted anyways. I'm just waiting for the parts now.

Anyways, am I pretty much right about what went wrong here? I know I caused the slide, but is there anything else I could have done to prevent it from lowsiding?

Backward tumble from the bike implies low side. Are you saying the rear tire never regained traction and slid out, spinning you off the back?

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Weigh the outside peg to stand the bike up, run the turn a little wider, very smoothly decrease throttle.

If you get it wrong and chop the throttle, the rear tire will catch suddenly and you will have a legit highside.

Given the circumstances, a lowside like yours is probably the most benign crash outcome.

doest sound like you were going to fast how did you get road rash also what pants where you wearing.

I was wearing jeans, and I skid for maybe 30-30 feet. The jeans tore open pretty quick, I think because I lost quite a bit of skin off my knee and shin.

First, be thankful you are only bruised and will heal.
Second,  be smart, seriously consider taking a rider safety course beyond the basics.
Perhaps where the focus is on advanced braking, cornering, and perceptual skills. They can help you learn body positioning to manage traction and improve handling,.....ride safe!

Better yet do a track day. You will learn more in one track day than you will in years of street riding.

• Global Moderator

Glad to hear your are okay. After you replace the parts (at least you were planning to replace most of them) please post photos. I was looking at the FZ8 before the 07 was announced. That stock exhaust was definitely not pretty. Otherwise I think it is a great looking bike.

Ya, the exhaust is ugly, but it makes a pretty great noise in comparison to the fz07 imo. I'll definitely post some pics when I'm done replacing the parts. Should be this weekend or next.

I'd definitely like to do a track day or go to the California superbike school. Work has just gotten in the way the last couple of times I planned them.

• Premium Member

Well man, I'm really glad to hear you are okay and the bike isn't too bad off!

Everything went braap.

Glad you're ok. That road rash really burns, though, doesn't it? Since you already know what caused it I'll just say this. Letting off the throttle a little probably would've helped. I've done that and it slowly went back to normal and regained traction. In the future, roll on the throttle halfway through the turns, no sudden bursts or it will get away from you.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

Sucks, heal up... wearing jeans is like wearing nothing honestly. Might give you half a second of protection before tearing.

Archived