The MT-07 Forum

Did they build my FZ-07 wrong?

wong600

Hey Guys,

My throttle always had a little bit left to right play (not twisting play). I think I finally figured it out but could use some help.

My FZ-07 had a plastic washer between the throttle grip and the cable housing..

FullSizeRender1_zpsjsvgrktu.jpg
The above pic shows a pair of tweezers gripping the plastic washer, so you can see it better (hopefully).. My FZ07 came this way!

FullSizeRender_zpspv1qgy0u.jpg
This pic shows the cable housing removed (and you can see the plastic washer clearly -- just left of the grip).. it was outside the cable housing, just floating there. So I put it in the housing and voila! ..no more left to right play!

FullSizeRender2_zpsoshlmovl.jpg
Here's how I think it was supposed to look all along (?)

Can anyone confirm this? Is your plastic washer on the outside or inside? Did they build my FZ-07 wrong?

I'm pretty sure mine is like that too. I'll check tomorrow, but I'm fairly certain I've noticed that washer between the grip and the cables.

I always thought it was in case the grip got too close it wouldn't stick. I'm curious now. I've noticed that slack before too.

• Global Moderator

Mine has that washer too. I noticed it when I was riding and presumed it was normal. I am going to take a closer look. Thanks for sharing.
Anything specific we need to know when removing the cable houding?

• Premium Member

It's correct that the lil plastic washer is between the grip and housing...it helps keep the grip off the housing...and the throttle tube should wiggle a lil bit left to right in the housing...prolly less than a mm of wiggle is what all 3 of my bikes had avg...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

You just slapped in the face all those engineers at yamaha :),like he said ^^^ it's there for a reason,and how do you stop left to right play by removing the washer?.

It's suppose to be there. I suggest you put it back and consult Yamaha or FZ 07 Forums first in the future before you change anything and get yourself hurt.

Beemer

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses! Update: just got back from a ride before work to test the adjustments, and it's awesome. No side to side play at all, and since adjusting the throttle cable, there's no twisting play either. My throttle is solid! (and extremely responsive) ..Just the way I like it.

Couple things… I did NOT take off the plastic washer! I would have to remove the handgrip, and that would be more work than it's worth ha ha.. I put the plastic washer INSIDE the cable housing – it fits perfectly and looks like it was meant to be there– That's what prevents the side to side play. Second, the plastic washer was NOT designed to keep the throttle from sticking – the hand grip would have to be pushed against the cable housing and it's very difficult to move… That's why people buy a new handgrip when they change the throttle tube.

Finally, I created this thread to get some help for something that's been bothering me since I purchased the bike… I was not trying to "slap the faces of the Yamaha engineers" ha ha.

To try it yourself, you need a 4 mm Allen wrench for the bolts underneath the cable housing, and a 8 mm Allen for the bar end weight. Takes five minutes – Open the cable housing (no need to remove the cables), push the plastic washer into the housing and close it up again. Fits perfectly. No sticking because the plastic washer is wrapped around the outside of the throttle tube. You can test it all without even riding… Make sure to turn the handlebars to max both left and right and twist the throttle to see if it snaps back.

I love the adjustment… To each his own.

• Premium Member

I just switched my throttle tube out with the R6 throttle tube last weekend. I love that change by the way. No more twisting my wrist under the handlebar to go WOT.

The reason I mention that is because I have a very fresh recollection on what's involved with that simple process and had all this stuff apart as well. I'm PRETTY sure that spacer is to prevent the rubber grip from getting stuck against the cable housing which could POSSIBLY have the throttle stick open. That would be very dangerous if that were to happen I'm sure you would agree.

As luck would have it, you were able to jam a washer into the cable housing stopping some lateral movement. While you "solved" the lateral movement, as much as you may not agree, it seems you've actually put yourself and others at risk around you. I know it's a small chance but why take the chance?

I'm nobody. Not a mechanic, not even an experienced rider. I'm just saying I would take that spacer out and put it back where it belongs if I were you. If you really have to do it, why not get another spacer to put in the cable housing?

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• Global Moderator

I cannot find any reference to the washer in the service manual, wich makes me think that maybe it is supposed to be internal in the housing. It seems odd that so many of us have it between the grip and housing though. I always wondered about it as it seems kind of useless where it is.

To the OP, I'm not sure if you are new to the sport and I certainly don't want to insult you in any way. Drop by a motorcycle shop and do a slow survey. Over 50 years and that many bikes, the first one I've owned without the washer on the outside is my new R1200R BMW with throttle by wire. Do what you like but it was installed correctly at the factory.

I just switched my throttle tube out with the R6 throttle tube last weekend. I love that change by the way. No more twisting my wrist under the handlebar to go WOT. 
The reason I mention that is because I have a very fresh recollection on what's involved with that simple process and had all this stuff apart as well. I'm PRETTY sure that spacer is to prevent the rubber grip from getting stuck against the cable housing which could POSSIBLY have the throttle stick open. That would be very dangerous if that were to happen I'm sure you would agree.

As luck would have it, you were able to jam a washer into the cable housing stopping some lateral movement. While you "solved" the lateral movement, as much as you may not agree, it seems you've actually put yourself and others at risk around you. I know it's a small chance but why take the chance?

I'm nobody. Not a mechanic, not even an experienced rider. I'm just saying I would take that spacer out and put it back where it belongs if I were you. If you really have to do it, why not get another spacer to put in the cable housing?

Thanks much for your concern. With much respect, there's no danger man. You can see that the spacer rotates freely, so it does whether in or out of the cable housing. It isn't "jammed" in there. You've opened it, so you know it has the perfect space to contain it.. Like it was designed to house it. The grip won't stick against the housing -- plenty of space. If the grip moved around on the tube, the grip would be dangerous.

Like it or not, Yamaha intended that plastic shim to be between the grip and the housing. It's their CYI measure in the event the rubber grip were moved to far inside. It is not intended to go inside the housing. And the play in the throttle tube is normal. If you don't believe any of this, just call a Yamaha shop and ask them. But is that shim even necessary, no. In your case, as long as the shim doesn't interfere with the throttle I can't imagine any harm and it removed the play that you didn't like, but that is normal.

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

If you ask me, its just a redundant safety measure. It would seem highly unlikely that the rubber will grip so tight to impede/lock your throttle, that is if somehow your throttle grip was able to move enough to the left in the first place which I can't seem to make it do. The engineers put that in just to be safe.

Look, I compare it to the Yamaha R3. It doesn't have that plastic ring. Just imagine your Fz07 without that ring, basically what the TC has done. That is how the Yamaha R3's throttle is. Now obviously if the handlebar was built properly, there is no need for it, yet, it couldn't hurt to be there. So there you go.

The R3 was designed and built by Yamaha Indonesia. The FZ07 was designed and built by Yamaha Japan. So obviously, the Japanese just want to be 100% sure **** doesn't go badly, but on a completely logical and pragmatic viewpoint, it is just a redundant safety measure. That said, if something somehow happens and you get into an accident, you better be ready to accept the consequences.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• 3 weeks later...

When people install aftermarket grips, it's not unusual to jamb the large diameter part up against the housing thru some combination of grip too long or just not paying attention (more common on dirt bikes). You get it to touch with enough pressure and the throttle will 'stick' or at least be slower to return.

I have to say this is the first I've heard of somebody getting worked up over some lateral play in the throttle tube.

If your grips are installed correctly the washer is immaterial. Do what makes you happy and keeps the throttle free to snap back.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived