The MT-07 Forum

Pyramid rear fender extender

avanti

• Premium Member

Today an Ebay supplied Pyramid rear fender extender arrived from the UK.  I hate to admit it but I've got a couple other projects to wrap up before installing it, but thought I'd give a preliminary report now and add the installed pix later.  Btw, given the high number of "watchers" for this part on Ebay, I would have thought someone here would have already done and reported on this but a couple searches here turned up zilch, so...

The part was just a few cents over $60 delivered to the US from "Bob's Bike Stuff."  Ten bucks of that was shipping.  That price for a single, light-weight piece of plastic is not cheap, but I'm quite pleased with the extender and the way it fits.  It adds 7.5" to the stock "fenderlet," nicely following the contour of the tire, and looks like something that Yami should/might have done.  It matches the stock fender better than it appears in the seller's pix.

Now, why I'm going to have to wait til I have some time to install... the stock piece it mounts to (fender/chain-guard) must be removed to install and I've not yet had time to even look at how it's mounted--three screws, as best I recall, maybe (two screws and two push-pins, as it turns out).  The instructions that came with the new piece say to bond it to the stock piece with "silicone adhesive," which I assume is like Permatex "Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant," clamp together, and leave for 24 hours.  No adhesive is included with the extender, BUT the vendor graciously includes one alcohol "wipe" to clean the areas to be glued--incredibly generous and helpful... NOT. 

Anyway, I'm not just sticking on a $60 piece of plastic and possibly leaving it on the road somewhere.  Now, I use Permatex Black for a lot of stuff but not as the sole means of attaching a fender extender.  Yeah, I'll use it, BUT I'll also use a couple stainless-steel button-heads and thin nyloc nuts to secure it in place.  Fortunately, the piece the new extension attaches to floats with the wheel/tire and affords more than adequate space between it and the tire where it all comes together to drill a couple holes and "bolt" down... in the process eliminating the need for a couple of the recommended clamps while the adhesive cures.

Here is a pic of the vendor's showing the pieces together and a pic of the extender I received with one slight modification.  It came with "Pyramid" and their logo stickers on the right side.  I have a serious, perhaps pathological aversion to stickers and such and typically remove them, as I've done here.  More pix when installed.

• Premium Member

I don't even know what this does. It's not a hugger is it? I'm thinking your lengthening the length of the tail of your bike but that's seems peculiar. Enlighten me. I like new mods for this bike and this might be pretty swell once you slap it on!

It is for the small fender that is on every MT/FZ07 from the factory which is quite short. Look at your bike behind the chain guard and you will see a short little fender coming out below the shock that is for the rear tire. What he's posting about is an extension piece that you attach to it so it's actually worth a damn. From the looks of it, it will keep the same clearance as the stock one so, not hugging the tire.

• Premium Member

Yes, garrim. Username, please look at the first pic I posted. It shows the fender extension mounted on the stock fender/chain-guard which has been removed from the bike. As noted, it extends the stock fenderlet (little fender) that looks like it was "cut off" short for some reason by the factory.  The new one (second pic) mounts/slips under the end of the stock one.

Surely, someone here must have one of these mounted who might respond.  They are simply too nicely done to ignore, imho.

I wouldn't mind getting an extension for my bike but $60 is hard to swallow for a small sheet of plastic with some form pressed into it. Actually I have a gripe with the cost of a *lot* of aftermarket stuff for bikes in general, but that's for another discussion haha.

• Premium Member

When you say fender, you mean the stock tire hugger that covers the wheel right? RIGHT?! Please tell this is what in which you speak of otherwise I think I have some sort of disability.

• Premium Member

Sorry, but in my experience a "fender" is what covers/wraps a tire/wheel mounted on a vehicle.  So, for me this is a fender extender.  But, whatever.  Here is a brief update...

I am in the process of completing a four year car project that is niggling me to death right at the very end, so I decided to shift gears to the 07 this afternoon.  Hence, I removed the... whatever ya wanna call it... and installed the whatever extender.  I'm letting the silicone cure over night so I'll have a pic of it back on the bike tomorrow or the next day.  Tomorrow I'll spend all day at the doctor's 70 miles away which may delay installation.

The first pic is the two pieces drilled for stainless button-heads, the second assembled, and the third the underside showing the thin nylocs in place.  Yeah, normally I use washers everywhere but made an exception here.

***Btw, other than the obvious, a second benefit of the stainless fasteners is that it eliminates determining how to best clamp the parts together and squish silicone out everywhere when assembling.***

• Premium Member

Interested to see how it'll look on the bike. Still on the fence about installing an extender overall but so far, I like the looks of this piece.

• Premium Member

Okay, today I installed the fender-extender.  Pictures below.  I like it. 

Some suggestions for installation, if anyone is interested... I removed the two left-side black button-head screws first.  Careful not to lose the aluminum spacers that keep installers from crushing the plastic when tightening them.  Then, I lifted the fender so that I could pry out the plastic push-pin on the right side.  To do so I wrapped the end of a standard screwdriver with electrical tape so as not to mar the swing-arm paint.  After that I loosened the two button-heads that hold the right boot-guard, but not remove them since there are parts attached at their rear.  I then used a long extension and removed the screw that holds the rear brake hose so that I could disconnect the push-pin at the front of the fender (the last thing holding it on).  The factory fender is flexible enough to lift up allowing access to the back of the front push-pin (it installs from the bike's front) so that it can be pressed out properly and not pried out like the right-side one.  Expect this push-pin to shoot out and in my situation it lodged among the exhaust parts and was easily located with a flashlight. 

Just reverse all the above for reinstallation.  I managed to not destroy the side push-pin so it was reusable.  But, if that's not the case with yours most parts houses sell a package of perfectly adequate plastic push-pins of a different design for two to three bucks a dozen.  Or, if you must, look for a thread here that gives the Yamaha parts number for theirs and pay $6 a pop, if you'd rather.

That's it.  As I said above I like the look and function.  The price may seem a tad steep to some but it fits correctly and looks the part.  Sure, I or many of us simply could fab something adequate out of aluminum, but I, for one, have enough other projects requiring WAY too much fabrication as it is so it's a delight to just buy something and install it for a change!!!

Oh, yeah, any questions, just ask.

• Premium Member

Oh I think I like it too, mind getting a whole shot of the bike to see how it all integrates? Good color combo choice ;)

• Premium Member

Okay; I'll get the bike out sometime tomorrow, take a pic as requested, and post here.

• Premium Member

Ya the end product doesn't look too shabby. Most other huggers are around 200.00 I'm pretty sure. So if your on a budget this is a good route. So perhaps a bad question but what do these huggers accomplish I would imagine to shield from spitting rocks straight up into your tail. But does it stop the rooster tail of water when your riding in the rain somewhat?

• Premium Member

username, this admittedly little add-on simply redirects whatever is spit out a little. If you want better "protection" a more encompassing fender could be fabbed/added to the stock "hugger." However, such would have to be larger which would be... well, uglier, imho. But coming up with larger, better protection shouldn't be too big a deal, especially if one looked at fenders on other bikes to find an acceptable donor part to procure and mod.

• Premium Member

ch3rryghost, see how this one works for ya...  (since someone just commented on this thread, I also posted a current pic of the bike, still with the hugger, of course.)

P1020618_2_c.jpg

• Premium Member

I like it. Doesn't stand out too much, looks OEM. Thanks for the picture, may need to add this to the list.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/fender-extender-by-pyramid?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28&f=2015|212&dealernumber= 
Just noticed this as i was drooling over the gilles tooling rearsets... official yamaha support
I could be wrong, but the one show in yamaha parts is a front fender extender that goes behind the front fender.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/fender-extender-by-pyramid?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28&f=2015|212&dealernumber= 
Just noticed this as i was drooling over the gilles tooling rearsets... official yamaha support
I could be wrong, but the one show in yamaha parts is a front fender extender that goes behind the front fender.
You're correct... my apologies sir/ma'am/person

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived