The MT-07 Forum

I love this bike

jdonalds

I love my FZ-07. I just had to say that to some people who would care. 

Lots of people give me a "Thumbs up" related to how they like the bike. People sitting next to me at red lights open their window and tell me they like it, when I enter a restaurant those sitting by the window that can see the bike tell me they like it. But nobody will understand how much I like it like you, who own one, would. 

I only have about 1,500 miles on it although I wish I had a lot more. I won't take anyone on it as a second rider, I just feel that is too dangerous. So that cuts out any trips that I take to the store with my five-year-old, so we end up taking a car. The bike is relegated to about three short trips per week that I take alone. I'm retired so don't have the ride-to-work thing going for me.

I recently did a test to see how many mpgs I could squeeze out of it just for fun which was 62.29. Now I'm at the opposite end to see how low the mpgs will be if I constantly push it and I'm running about 42 mpg. I do average about 54 mpg.

It blows me away how quickly this thing accelerates. Most of the time I don't get to use much of the power at all. There is a 1/2 mile long hill where I don't ever expect to be stopped for speeding and I've hit 90 mph. I've done that on a quite short stretch of the winding hill road, starting about 45 mph and cranking it for really only about 8 to 10 seconds before I have to shut down to make a tight corner. This is all on an uphill slope.

I learned early on to be careful taking off from traffic signals or stop signs. It is way too easy to lift the front tire. I've even done it in second gear. Mind you I'm not trying, it just has so much power I have to be careful with the throttle.

Oh and speaking of cornering (the main reason for riding a motorcycle in my opinion) I'm taking corners tighter and faster all the time. I'm quite well aware, at the age of 69, that many riders can corner faster than I can though.

I love the stock quiet muffler, that suits my style. I added a nice tail bag, and a 5V USB connector for my RAM mounted smartphone or Garmin GPS.

My friend that has a really nice Harly has an alarm system with a remote. I've thought of getting one too. I'm actually less concerned about someone stealing it (I do have insurance after all), but I just like the idea of having an alarm with a key fob and hearing that beep-beep when I set it as I walk away. 

I have an annoying rattle about 4-5K RPMs when I'm riding. I can't seem to locate the source of the rattle on the right side, and I can't seem to make it rattle on the kickstand. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have no idea how it happened but there is a slight blemish on the face of the gauge lens. I'm very careful so don't now how it might have happened. Does anybody have any tricks for polishing that lens?

So I really just wanted to say I LOVE THIS THING!!!

What kind of blemish? Like a scratch or dig? Or something dulled the plastic, like a splotch of acid? I don't know, my only offering would be to use something like Klasse or any other acrylic type clear coat "polish" and depending on what you mean by blemish, it may or may not smooth that out by filling it in.  My wife scratched up her motorcycle fairing real good with various metals on her pants, but rubbing a little Klasse on it made them disappear.

Yeah, other people might have better solutions. I don't know about wax or abrasive polish, that might not be good. But what do I know?

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

What kind of blemish? Like a scratch or dig? Or something dulled the plastic, like a splotch of acid? I don't know, my only offering would be to use something like Klasse or any other acrylic type clear coat "polish" and depending on what you mean by blemish, it may or may not smooth that out by filling it in.  My wife scratched up her motorcycle fairing real good with various metals on her pants, but rubbing a little Klasse on it made them disappear. 
Yeah, other people might have better solutions. I don't know about wax or abrasive polish, that might not be good. But what do I know?
Well it's an embarrassingly slight blemish.  In fact I see several light scratches now. I obviously am doing something with my helmet which I store on top of the gas tank. I assumed it would be okay because I put the face opening of my 3/4 helmet up against the handlebars. The thing is I really like the display and wanted to keep it pristine. I've tried cleaning up small scratches like this before and end up screwing things up royally. The Klasse might work.  After reading your post I tried some SC1 Clear Coat on it which didn't seem to do much. 
Here are my best two photos trying to capture it but the blemish I see in the sunlight really doesn't show up in these photos. Other scratches do though.

DSC04069-L.jpg

DSC04073-L.jpg

The display will scratch very easily. I guess, its a cheap plastic.
Like many people, you can cut-to-fit a tablet screen protector on it, but the wind, rain and sun will make sure it doesn't stay on it for too long.
Here is my DIY solution for it, a ziploc bag  (rofl) :

R0002723_zps5txyclys.jpg

More seriously, try to protect your display, but don't loose sleep over it 8-)

I'm thinking about a really light tint film over the dash. even on the lowest setting its brighter than I want at night/morning

I'm thinking about a really light tint film over the dash. even on the lowest setting its brighter than I want at night/morning
I can understand you thinking it is too bright. To each his own. I like it on mid brightness. But the idea of putting a screen protector on is a good idea.

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you love the motorcycle so much. This is my 5th cycle and by far my favorite. I'm trying to get my dad on a motorcycle and I think the coaxing might be starting to work. Love to see riders of all ages enjoy this passion like I do. I doubt I can talk him into getting something as sporty as this, but just to ride is something everyone should experience. Have fun and ride safe.

The display will scratch very easily. I guess, its a cheap plastic. Like many people, you can cut-to-fit a tablet screen protector on it, but the wind, rain and sun will make sure it doesn't stay on it for too long.
Here is my DIY solution for it, a ziploc bag  (rofl) :

R0002723_zps5txyclys.jpg

More seriously, try to protect your display, but don't loose sleep over it 8-)
Daredevil, can you list all your performance upgrades you did to your FZ07?  To my understanding the top speed is 120-something MPH, but 150 is absolutely astounding and I must know how you have achieved this.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I can totally connect with how you feel jdonalds. This is my first "big" bike after riding a 150cc for few years. I just love this thing. Like you mentioned, it makes lots of power, enough to push a huge grin on my face. The pull you feel when you open up the throttle...just love that feeling. It is beautiful, it is nimble and it has tonnes of power.

Btw, blemishes are part and parcel of owning a bike. It will happen, sooner or later. Don't lose you sleep but yeah find out if you are doing something that's causing them.

Regarding the rattle, I also hear a rattle/tingling sound from the rear (like from the chain) when I am riding. I can't reproduce the problem while stationary. I have checked few threads talking about metallic clinking sound while riding. Is that what you hear too? or this is something different?

• Premium Member

All FZ-07s have a loud chain. It's normal.

Glad you're loving the bike so much. I feel bad that I'm not really into it like I should be. It could be that I haven't had the money to do anything to it yet, I dunno. I do love to baby it though. I have a small, very fine scratch on my cluster as well and even though no one else notices it, I know it's there, so I feel you.

I can totally connect with how you feel jdonalds. This is my first "big" bike after riding a 150cc for few years. I just love this thing. Like you mentioned, it makes lots of power, enough to push a huge grin on my face. The pull you feel when you open up the throttle...just love that feeling. It is beautiful, it is nimble and it has tonnes of power. 
Btw, blemishes are part and parcel of owning a bike. It will happen, sooner or later. Don't lose you sleep but yeah find out if you are doing something that's causing them.

Regarding the rattle, I also hear a rattle/tingling sound from the rear (like from the chain) when I am riding. I can't reproduce the problem while stationary. I have checked few threads talking about metallic clinking sound while riding. Is that what you hear too? or this is something different?
It's more like a loose screw on a small panel vibrating. I can only do so much to locate it while riding it. It seems to be around the engine area on he right side.

All FZ-07s have a loud chain. It's normal. 
Glad you're loving the bike so much. I feel bad that I'm not really into it like I should be. It could be that I haven't had the money to do anything to it yet, I dunno. I do love to baby it though. I have a small, very fine scratch on my cluster as well and even though no one else notices it, I know it's there, so I feel you.
Is it just the chain that is what is making the noise?  Will a different chain fix the noise issue?  It sounds like the noise is coming from the rear sprocket area on mine.  Put the bike on a rear stand and spin the wheel.  I can hear the noise when it is spinning.  It drives me crazy riding near anything that reflects the sound.

• Premium Member

Im right there with you, I absolutely love my fz. Ive only had it for about a month and I cant get enough of it. I get compliments all the time and a lot of other riders really have no idea what it is. They see it first and are like whats that? Then once I start it with the m4 exhaust they really get confused lol. Ive also never owned a bike that makes me grin as much as this one does, and I have had a few fun bikes, sv650s, aprilia, gixxer. Nothing can compare to the fun I have on the fz. 

Im right there with you, I absolutely love my fz. Ive only had it for about a month and I cant get enough of it. I get compliments all the time and a lot of other riders really have no idea what it is. They see it first and are like whats that? Then once I start it with the m4 exhaust they really get confused lol. Ive also never owned a bike that makes me grin as much as this one does, and I have had a few fun bikes, sv650s, aprilia, gixxer. Nothing can compare to the fun I have on the fz. 
As this is the only bike other than the bike I rode for my MSF class what to you makes it more fun than the other bikes you have had?  Just curious.

In my case it's not the chain. The noise is coming from the other side of the bike, in front of the foot peg. Someone mentioned that it might just be engine noise and I'm beginning to think that might be the case. I've searches for anything loose and tightened things up but no change. The noise occurs about 5K rpms.

Archived