The MT-07 Forum

New cyclops led headlight question

phyciocc

• Premium Member

Hello everyone:
Last year I put in a no-name led headlight. It worked, but it was kind of dim. Recently I upgraded to the 3800 lumen h4 from cyclops, and it is ( pun intended) like night and day...
I have a question, however: my "bulb" appears to have 4 led chips. When mounted into the housing ( as far as as I can tell it only goes in one way), the light from these chips is directed not on the top, or bottom, of the reflector but on the sides. This surprised me. I thought that on low beam, the light would hit the bottom of the reflector and on high beam the top.
Am I wrong, or it is as if my bulb is rotated 90 degrees ( or 270)?
Thanks!
Marco

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

That is how mine is too - the leds are on the sides. The front two light up for low beam and the rear two join in for high beam.

Illegitimi non carborundum

fooschnickens

It's the best way to make use of the LED emitter's output pattern. Unlike traditional bulbs, LEDs have a very narrow output pattern. Cyclops set up their emitters in a horizontal configuration so that their light would be reflected more evenly across the road. Putting them in a vertical configuration would only illuminate a very narrow swath of road and a whole lot of the sky.

The ideal fix would be to use lots of emitters pointing in many directions (at the cost of more money and greater heat production) or to utilize a projector assembly (at the cost of having to modify your stock housing similar to doing an HID retrofit). Cyclops took the middle ground and put out an affordable package that performs admirably.

Archived