The MT-07 Forum

Vibration at around 5500rpm?

rickc

I'm new to these types of engines.  I've only ever had V-Twins.  I have done the whole throttle body sync and everything, but I get a weird engine vibration around 5200-5800rpm.  Is this normal for these engines?  Not sure how to describe it exactly.  Hand tingling vibration.  Below and above that rpm range it is smooth.  I don't ever remember it being this strong before.  I've got about 7k miles on the bike now.  This is the first time I've done any tuning.  I built my own manometer, put the T on the left side, and only adjusted the right side.  Thoughts?

Rick
Garland, TX

I get that with mine, too and I can feel it through the foot pegs as well. Even a tingle through the rear of the seat because the padding is too soft which puts your butt real close to the plastic base. You usually get some vibration with most bikes somewhere, every bike I've owned had vibration and most often in the grips so it's pretty much normal. I would think you would've had some vibration with v-twins as well.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Normal is my vote as well. That rpm range may just pull the pistons slightly out of sync with the balance shaft

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Yamaha probably had the engineers make it vibrate so the bike sounds more rough and tumble. Nobody wants a perfect sounding bike

Yup, between 5 and 6k is where it vibes the most. In stock form, not that bad imo, but it is noticeable.

Interestingly, I added the weights that Barkbusters sells for its hand guards - these http://www.twistedthrottle.com/barkbusters-external-handlebar-end-weights and the vibration now at the bars are so minimal that I now feel it in the pegs where my numb feet did not notice it before.

The weights don't fit the Storms all that well, but it's just a cosmetic issue. They quelled the vibes so well, I'll live with them being a bit odd, add/on looking.

Not sure it's possible to add more weight to the OE set-up. It would require a bigger bar end weights with the same inner shape and threads.

Archived