The MT-07 Forum

FZ/MT 07 vs the REST (Street triple, FZ/MT 09, KTM 690)

booki

Hey all, newbie to the forums, been around motorcycles for quite a while now.

Short Version: I am considering a FZ/MT 07, Its reasonably priced for a BRAND NEW motorbike, although I can get other bikes a bit cheaper. Mainly the Street Triple and KTM 690, even some used MT 09's floating around in Australia. 

What kind of bikes have you ridden before getting the FZ/MT 07, are you happy with your choice? How does it compare? Is it fast/powerful enough for a experienced rider?

Long version: I am thinking about buying a brand new FZ 07 (MT 07 if your from where i am. Australia). We have just been realased the MT 07 HO, which is the same version the rest of the world has I believe, the 75hp variant. Previously it was 50hp to get in as a learner legal bike. Anyway enough of that.
I have been riding dirt for quite a while, but consider myself below average road rider. My last bike was a Yamaha R6, but I did not like the ergo's and my previous bike was a DRZ400SM (which made me feel right at home being primarily a dirt rider).

None the less, there are cheaper used bikes around, specifically the KTM 690 duke and some Street Triples. Has anybody ridden these bikes and compared them to a MT 07? How does the MT 09 compare as they are priced similar (brand new).

I don't want to outgrow the FZ07 is my biggest fear, nor do I want to buy a slug of a bike that won't keep up with my buddies who are on super sports (600's and 1000's). I want a bike that is not a slouch but torquey, I am not interested in doing $2.00 through corners, I just want something that won't be left behind with my buddies. I use the bike sparingly, if its a nice day, I will use it. If its raining, it stays inside so it is not my only means of transport. I would like to do long distance riding on it though, as something about riding a bike around the country and exploring just excites me :D

What bikes have you had before you got a MT/FZ 07, are you happy with it? Does it keep up with other bikes in your group?

> Does it keep up with other bikes in your group

No offense but I get the impression you're looking for a status symbol and less a vehicle to ride and enjoy. "keeping up" almost always means riding WAY too fast for conditions and terrain let alone liberal definitions of legal.

I have had my ass handed me on the track by bikes like the GS500e and SV ridden by people who are very good riders despite my having a significant power advantage. These days I embarrass supersport riders on my SMR on the tighter tracks.

If you go FZ07/9 you'll need to spend a good $700-1000 replacing/fixing the suspension. They are both that bad.

Exploring Australia would imply to me some kind of motard/dual-sport. I'm not sure how far I'd be willing to ride on dirt/unimproved roads/trails on an FZ. Long distance at any kind of speed on a naked bike is a workout for the neck and shoulders. You will need to solve that issue.

Personally I would recommend buying a nicely sorted used bike - with a nod to the Street Triple, but an 'explorer' it ain't.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I ride with many other riders. Most of them are on supersport bikes.

I keep up with them just fine, since we travel under 100 mph, the FZ-07 is well within its power range. If you are traveling legally (or somewhat legally....many riders speed a bit) you won't have any trouble keeping up, if you have comparable skills. The bike "speed" thing is as much the rider as the bike.

My bike has a stock suspension. It has an EJK fuel controller.

You may find you want to upgrade the suspension, but its rideable for me stock. I do plan on upgrading mine at some point, if I don't trade it in for another ride.

At this point, I'm very happy with my FZ at 10k miles.

I like my FZ for long trips. In fact, it really shines compared to supersport bikes over the long rides.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

> Does it keep up with other bikes in your group 
No offense but I get the impression you're looking for a status symbol and less a vehicle to ride and enjoy. "keeping up" almost always means riding WAY too fast for conditions and terrain let alone liberal definitions of legal.

You make some valid points, I am not interested in getting a "show off" bike, I want something to match my ability and what I intend to use it for. When I say explore Australia, I meant just long touring rides on paved roads only! 
I have a dirt bike to go off road on :)

I have read that the suspension is a bit average on the MT 07, but at my current road riding ability, I don't think I would be able to out ride the bike for quite some time. Unless...its really THAT bad?

I ride with many other riders. Most of them are on supersport bikes. 
I keep up with them just fine, since we travel under 100 mph, the FZ-07 is well within its power range. If you are traveling legally (or somewhat legally....many riders speed a bit) you won't have any trouble keeping up, if you have comparable skills. The bike "speed" thing is as much the rider as the bike.

My bike has a stock suspension. It has an EJK fuel controller.

You may find you want to upgrade the suspension, but its rideable for me stock. I do plan on upgrading mine at some point, if I don't trade it in for another ride.

At this point, I'm very happy with my FZ at 10k miles.

I like my FZ for long trips. In fact, it really shines compared to supersport bikes over the long rides.
Great to hear its going well after 10k miles! 
Good to hear the fz07 has enough power. All i have read about is the Learner edition we have here in Australia, and learner bikes in aus are just that...

• Premium Member

I don't have any trouble staying with the liter bikes under 90mph and I'm still stock as far as performance goes along with weighing 200lbs not including an additional 10-20lbs of gear. For me...the ergonomics on the FZ09 were not as comfortable as the 07. That being said you may enjoy the wider bars on the 09 as they are more similar to a dirtbike (being much wider). The 07 seems a bit more comfy for touring in regards to leg position for me....not to mention it does look better. Between the 07, triple and duke, the 09 will obviously have the most power for ya but I don't think you will be complaining about any one of the bunch as each of them can easily get the front tire off the ground. I have not been on a triple but, the duke is a bit smaller in ergos and the single cylinder vibrates a bit more at high speeds (that I think annoys people). That being said, I favor the low end torque of the duke and the 07. I actually was about to pull the trigger on the duke prior to getting the 07. I chose the fz07 because of reliability, price, ergos and the countless positive reviews from riders of all types. Ive never heard a person complain about a street triple either. I came from dirtbikes too so I understand how you feel.

• Premium Member

My god I loved my Striple. If I could've replaced the loud exhaust cheaply, I would never have sold it for the FZ. Still, I do like my FZ, so it all turned out ok.

So in a nut shell you want ensured performance AND comfort. That's not always easy to find in a bike. If you have the money for a quick solution get an (off the top of my head) FJ-09 or an Honda VFR 800 or spend time and money trying to match either. 

Beemer

Yes and no - Comfort is a bit subjective. I am sure I would be fine on a MT07 for a 3 hour or so ride.

I forgot one other bike, a SV 650. Anybody ridden one of those?

Does everybody here have the full power version of the FZ/MT07 (75hp), anybody on the restricted variant?

Motorboat McGoat

[span]    [/span]"I don't want to outgrow the FZ07 is my biggest fear,"

Depends on how fast you want to go fast...you can always have more juice, it just depends on what you can do with said juice. I weigh 160lbs w gear and the bike rips, an FZ-09 would rip harder, but who knows if I'd be any faster in any direction other than straight.

[span]    [/span]"I want a bike that is not a slouch but torquey,"

Is it ever.

[span]    [/span]"I would like to do long distance riding on it though, as something about riding a bike around the country and exploring just excites me [span]    [/span]:D"

Longest ride i had was 163 miles. I was very comfortable, more-so at normal highway speeds P-). I would've appreciated a touring windscreen on that ride, however, as those huge Utah valleys in between canyons have some powerful crosswinds. Gas mileage is prime.

[span]    [/span]"are you happy with it? Does it keep up with other bikes in your group?"
[span]    [/span]"nor do I want to buy a slug of a bike that won't keep up with my buddies who are on super sports (600's and 1000's)."

I recently joined a group of 600 & 1000 supersports. First time I rode with the group the R1 and BMW S1000RR riders laughed because I was the guy right behind them, not the "technically" faster bikes. Experience is a big deal.
The liter bikes are significantly faster. On a straight road sure the others are more powerful (0-80 the 600s really aren't), in the canyon I'm right behind if not in front of all of them. If you're an experienced rider, the FZ-07 is great, because you will be able to ride the "smaller bike bigger". Like any bike, learn the power curve, the gearing, and ride around that knowledge.

A friend of mine has a Street Triple R, and those are also a blast. Had I had the opportunity to snag a used ABS one at the same cost I got my FZ-07 for I might have done it if the mileage was low. That being said, I'm in LOVE with my FZ and plan on having it for a long time.

Bottom line:
Test rides are really the only way to see if you love each bike. You'll be happier in the long run if you ride each to know which one makes your heart rise over the others.

I have also ridden all the bikes you asked about. All things aside, they are all good options.
I second the opinion on a test ride. To me, the biggest noticeable differences are the ergonomics. I'm only 135lbs, so suspension doesn't affect me as much as you bigger guys though! I love my fz07, my other choice was the S Triple. The SV feels generic to me, though I can't fault it anywhere. I just feel the Yammy and Triumph had more personality. I prefer the torquey bikes ;)

This is a good bike all around for cruising, that's it, imo. Now if we're talking about riding this thing to its limit, that's different.

My biggest fear while riding aggressive is the steering head shake; the bike feels very light and unstable on the front end above 70mph. Watch this video at 1:40 (

), it's a FZ-09 but the issue is the same. 
I have my GSXR-600 for speed and thrill. I keep the FZ-07 for long cruises and getting around town.

Thanks for all the responses !

To clarify on pricing in OZ - the lams version is about $500 cheaper from memory. Not much difference.

That said, I am now considering a used bike, as dropping 11k on a bike I will ride sparingly doesn't seem like a smart financial decision.

Currently Looking at the SV650 as my main contender, hoping to ride some tomorrow. Also considering the Gladius and the XJ6N.

The XJ is a soulless inline 4. but don't let that color your riding impressions... heh heh
Think of the FZ07 as Yamaha's much delayed answer to the phenomenon known as the SV650. They fed the engine some protein shakes while they were at it.

If your FZ is head-shaking it's because
1) the fork damping is shit (we knew that)
2) the shock damping is shit (we knew that)
3) weight bias is wrong (ass-heavy)

The answer is not a damper. It's fix those 3 items.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

@rick has the Learner version. And I own 3 SV650's. ;-)
Hey now!  >:( 
Wish I could ride my buddies 09 Duke - it's just too dang tall - stopping does happen, preferably upright . You name it, S1000RR, Panigale, Tuono 11V4, SDuke R, he's ridden it. He's still itchin to ride my FZ however. 

As long as i don't ride a Striple R, i'll have no regrets I passed on a white one. 

sorry @rick I got you confused with @gregjet. (I know, how? right?) My appologies!
not to worry, I do ride the thing sometimes like it's only 45 hp - it would then be called a V7 Guzzi. I still emotionally jones for a Griso in the garage. the left brain says wtf are you thinking? 

OK Booki looks like I am your man for this one.
One I am in Australia
Two had a DRZ400SM until recently. Put a 21litre Safari tank on it for touring but we never managed to go. VERY good bike even on the highway once carbs and suspension sorted ( the DRZ suffers even worse than the MT from a over soft arse)
Sally has a KTM 690 Duke that she used to go to Phillip Island for the MotoGP lat October. We went Bundaberg-Phillip Island-Victor Harbour-back to Bundy. Some points : The fuel tank is small and only gets 200+km ( usually 230-260 safe between refills). It vibrates a bit ( apparently the not released yet new Duke 690 motor is better balanced and vibrates considerably less). The seat prompted non stop Sally's voice over the interbike intercom" Have I told you how comfortable this seat is....". It handles amazingly ONCE YOU FIX THE JERKY THROTTLE. The fix for the jerky throttle is a couple of plug and play electronic devices made in Brisbane that are not expensive ( a power commander will not work, though a reflash would if you can find someone). It is lightweight and carries panniers well. Have I mentioned the suspension is amazing for a stock bike. You need a decent screen for touring as the buffetting is quite marked on this bike. Fit Michelin Pilot Road 4's...just do it.
The MT is a brilliant bike and now I have fixed the power issues on the LAMS one, I love it. BUT consider the following: The rear shock is rubbish and sprung way too softly. You need a decent aftermarket spring and shock. Front forks needs some work as well. It is a very short bike and so far mounting panniers has been a bit problematic so far. Hopefully considering how popular this bike is in Europe they will bring out decent hard cases and racks therefore. The seat std is so so but there are some good aftermarket repad/covers ( Seat concepts for example). The tank is stupidly tiny . Part of the problem of letting people in miniscule sized countries design bikes. The ECU needs reflashing to smooth the throttle and fix the AFR's . This is relatively available. Most bikes now have the same lean mix problem but it shows up more in singles and twins. The MT also needs a screen for the same reason as the Duke. The MT has a huge oversize rear tyre so rear tyres are more expensive and the profile is unsuited to the bike . Easily fixed by fitting a 170/60 when you change tyres. The MT is waaaaay smoother than the Duke. MT torque delivery is very good for road riding. Plenty of other things to play with on these bikes and this forum has some great ideas for the MT. Check out KTM forums as well to compare http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/. You need to be aware that with stock suspension the MT needs to be ridden close to motard style because of the soft rear. ie you have to move forward and load the front end to get any sort of front end feel. If you had a DRZ400SM you will know exactly what I mean. Change the rear srping and shock and you can ride it like a road bike.
Have fun. I would go for the MT and fix it...Oh yeah ...I did
Both bikes will leave you grinning like a Cheshire cat once sorted. Both light and nimble like a bike should be.
The ER6's and the SV650 are heavy tanks compared to these two.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

If you do get an MT07, FIRST thing is to cruise this forum and check out Pattonme's stuff on suspension. He has done some excellent work on the MT suspension and has plenty of good stuff to say that is useful. Unfortunately for Aussies we can't get his cartridge swap and it would be too expensive to send our forks to the US and back, but he has plenty to say on the options available. SUSPENSION first on this bike. Handle bars next. There is an Aussie Facebook page as well for the MT07 which is quite useful.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I'm to the point @gregjet that I am willing to do a 'kit' version for overseas folks but some degree of aptitude is needed by the installer.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

How large are you? Inseam and weight? This affects many of the issues noted here. If you are not that large even the suspension--the 07's weakest area--is quite livable. Personally, I'd never buy a used bike unless I really knew the owner and how/he she took rode and care of it. Just buy something and RIDE!!! All the best!

Looked at a SV 650 today, And have to say, I was pretty impressed with it. It rode really nice, better then expected.

I am about 80kg + gear, 173cm tall.

I know the MT 07 is a great bike, and from what I have read, better then the SV in every area. BUT....

Brand new - 11k ride away
Used bike with RWC and REG - 4-5k.

While the MT07 is a better bike, I don't believe it is double the price better.

I can get a super clean SV for half the price, at my current road riding level I won't outride a SV nor a MT07.

I've got a Street Triple in addition to my FZ-07. To me the Street Triple feels more like a sport bike (with better ergos of course) than the FZ-07. Really, the Triple is more like the FZ6 I used to have. I'd say the FZ-07 is a better commuter bike (and gets much better gas mileage), but for pure thrills I like the Triumph more. It also has a glorious intake sound, whereas the Yamaha is relatively quiet stock.

That said, when riding in the twisties, the low end torque of the FZ-07 is nice since you don't have to downshift as much. But like others have said, ride both and see what you like better.

Archived