The MT-07 Forum

Falling in love with my bike all over again

yamahappy74

• Premium Member

When I first got this bike, I was excited about it because it was new and quiet and quick. After a few weeks, that started to wear off and I started feeling like maybe I had made a mistake; like I should've gotten a sport bike as I miss my old one so much. I still babied it, washed it, changed the diap...oil, etc., but I just had this feeling like I would be happier on something else.
But now something has changed again. The more comfortable I've gotten with it and the more I've started to "play", I find myself with a real appreciation for how light and snappy it is. It's like riding a pedal bike but with a lot of power, enough to get me in trouble if I wanted. I had a dentist appointment today and I took the FZ. It's about a 25 minute ride on the freeway (same dentist I've had for a very long time, so I still go there even though I've moved), and man, I was just loving how easy it is to put myself exactly where I want to be with barely a flick of the wrist. It just WANTS to go. So what if the top speed isn't 160mph, it gets up to 100 really quick and anything more is just overkill in the city anyway. Now, when I get home and park it, I can't help but just stare at it for a minute, just like I used to do with my beloved R6.
I've finally fallen in love with my FZ-07, and I'm so happy.

• Premium Member

i thought i made a mistake as well-hated the high bars and forward,low pegs.got that and the suspension squared away and i'm very happy with it also.the weight is a huge factor.i don't think i could buy any bike that weighs over 400 lbs. again.

• Premium Member
At the current moment I'm still having the urge to move on. Taking her up to the mountains Sunday and we will see what that does to me.
I earned a new respect and likeness for the bike when I took it to the mountains and twisty roads. The low end torque and being able to pull 3rd through 5th gear is absolutely great up/down and around hills and turns. Sure, the suspension could be better although im not racing and it was plenty good for a 200lb guy pushing the limits of safety below 100mph.   I really began to appreciate the characteristics of the bike after my first trip like that.

• Premium Member

I'm only 150lbs + gear, so maybe 156lbs total. Suspension seems alright aside from the diving on the front end. That bit almost crashed me out as soon as I took it off the lot. I wasn't aware of the severe engine braking, so when I was riding out of the lot with it, I took a left but had to let off the throttle a bit, at which point the front end dove harder than I was used to on my Striple. I didn't wreck but it definitely opened my eyes.

• Premium Member
I'm only 150lbs + gear, so maybe 156lbs total. Suspension seems alright aside from the diving on the front end. That bit almost crashed me out as soon as I took it off the lot. I wasn't aware of the severe engine braking, so when I was riding out of the lot with it, I took a left but had to let off the throttle a bit, at which point the front end dove harder than I was used to on my Striple. I didn't wreck but it definitely opened my eyes.
Im at 3400 miles now and I find that the engine breaking is significantly less than when she was spankin new.  I also really appreciate the engine breaking when tearing through windy roads. Im no professional rider but, it definitely gives some extra control jamming into corners. I have come to really value the engine breaking.  

When I first got this bike, I was excited about it because it was new and quiet and quick. After a few weeks, that started to wear off and I started feeling like maybe I had made a mistake; like I should've gotten a sport bike as I miss my old one so much. I still babied it, washed it, changed the diap...oil, etc., but I just had this feeling like I would be happier on something else. But now something has changed again. The more comfortable I've gotten with it and the more I've started to "play", I find myself with a real appreciation for how light and snappy it is. It's like riding a pedal bike but with a lot of power, enough to get me in trouble if I wanted. I had a dentist appointment today and I took the FZ. It's about a 25 minute ride on the freeway (same dentist I've had for a very long time, so I still go there even though I've moved), and man, I was just loving how easy it is to put myself exactly where I want to be with barely a flick of the wrist. It just WANTS to go. So what if the top speed isn't 160mph, it gets up to 100 really quick and anything more is just overkill in the city anyway. Now, when I get home and park it, I can't help but just stare at it for a minute, just like I used to do with my beloved R6.
Yeah. I'm just about 2400 miles and also really starting to appreciate how close to perfect (for me at least) this bike is.

• Premium Member

10,000 miles and this bike does every thing I need. Love this bike too!
side note I'd like a few more lol>

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
That's one of the reasons I vote no on the FZ-07 being a beginners bike.  With the combination of engine braking and torque, and light weight, you can definitely get yourself into "situations" in a hurry.  Although, most of the reviews that say it's a great "beginners bike" are written by experienced riders. There are real "beginners bikes" out there that don't have that kind of character, yet are fine transportation (Ninja 300 ABS for instance).   But...  you can live and grow with the FZ-07 basically forever.   The Ninja 300 you might outgrow.  

Why can't left turners see us?

That's one of the reasons I vote no on the FZ-07 being a beginners bike.  With the combination of engine braking and torque, and light weight, you can definitely get yourself into "situations" in a hurry.  Although, most of the reviews that say it's a great "beginners bike" are written by experienced riders. There are real "beginners bikes" out there that don't have that kind of character, yet are fine transportation (Ninja 300 ABS for instance).   But...  you can live and grow with the FZ-07 basically forever.   The Ninja 300 you might outgrow.  

I would have to disagree. I started out with no motorcycle experience on the FZ-07. With the right approach to riding a motorcycle for the first time the FZ is a great starter bike and leaves you room to grow in your experience. That being said, anyone who dives in head first without fully accepting the fact that the bike can get out of your own control would probably have gone down either way.

At the current moment I'm still having the urge to move on. Taking her up to the mountains Sunday and we will see what that does to me.
I earned a new respect and likeness for the bike when I took it to the mountains and twisty roads. The low end torque and being able to pull 3rd through 5th gear is absolutely great up/down and around hills and turns. Sure, the suspension could be better although im not racing and it was plenty good for a 200lb guy pushing the limits of safety below 100mph.   I really began to appreciate the characteristics of the bike after my first trip like that.

I've taken her to the mountains before with less experience. Riding every day gives me the opportunity to try out the occasional curvy road, but my gripes with the FZ are not related to being bored in the twisties. I'm just wondering if a good mountain session will calm my woes. I am however having my eyes opened in certain ways by adapting riding position.

• Premium Member

I've taken her to the mountains before with less experience. Riding every day gives me the opportunity to try out the occasional curvy road, but my gripes with the FZ are not related to being bored in the twisties. I'm just wondering if a good mountain session will calm my woes. I am however having my eyes opened in certain ways by adapting riding position.
stock riding position sucks-lower bars and rearsets transform the bike-suspension transforms it further-price point is low-so even with throwing money at it you end up with a bike that is great and still less expensive than the competition. 

I would have to disagree. I started out with no motorcycle experience on the FZ-07. With the right approach to riding a motorcycle for the first time the FZ is a great starter bike and leaves you room to grow in your experience. That being said, anyone who dives in head first without fully accepting the fact that the bike can get out of your own control would probably have gone down either way.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. Got the FZ-07 a couple of weeks after passing the MSF course and license with zero motorcycle and zero manual transmission experience. Learning to ride has been a breeze so far. If anyone has issues getting into trouble on this machine, they should seriously reconsider owning a motorcycle. Just because they have a smaller engine doesn't mean they're not incompetent or reckless (or both?).

• Premium Member
Yeah I'm with you on this one. Got the FZ-07 a couple of weeks after passing the MSF course and license with zero motorcycle and zero manual transmission experience. Learning to ride has been a breeze so far. If anyone has issues getting into trouble on this machine, they should seriously reconsider owning a motorcycle. Just because they have a smaller engine doesn't mean they're not incompetent or reckless (or both?).
Good luck kids! 

Good luck kids!
Serious question - if I don't twist the throttle like an idiot (ie: incompetent or reckless), how is a 250cc any safer? Does it brake better? Turn better? Maybe a bit lighter (than the already featherweight FZ-07)? Some models have ABS, I guess that's good, some don't. Slipper clutch on the Ninja 300? That's pretty nice too, as long as you like the Ninja. 
So if I have no problems keeping the FZ-07 at a "safe" speed (or the same speed as a 250), what's a smaller motorcycle going to do that this one can't? What am I missing?

• Premium Member
Good luck kids!
Serious question - if I don't twist the throttle like an idiot (ie: incompetent or reckless), how is a 250cc any safer? Does it brake better? Turn better? Maybe a bit lighter (than the already featherweight FZ-07)? Some models have ABS, I guess that's good, some don't. Slipper clutch on the Ninja 300? That's pretty nice too, as long as you like the Ninja. 
So if I have no problems keeping the FZ-07 at a "safe" speed (or the same speed as a 250), what's a smaller motorcycle going to do that this one can't? What am I missing?
You'll be fine!  I said I don't think it's the "best" beginner's bike.  It does require throttle control and attention.  Some new riders don't have the "instinct" for good throttle and clutch control and can get into trouble.  They don't "twist the throttle like on idiot", they just accidentally do the wrong thing.  On the best "beginners" bikes, an "accidental" grab of the throttle, of fast release of the clutch won't lift the front end of the bike, or cut the rear wheel loose.  I've owed both kinds, along with a lot of other bikes, so I'm not just making this stuff up. But it is just my humble opinion.

• Premium Member
When I first got this bike, I was excited about it because it was new and quiet and quick. After a few weeks, that started to wear off and I started feeling like maybe I had made a mistake; like I should've gotten a sport bike as I miss my old one so much. I still babied it, washed it, changed the diap...oil, etc., but I just had this feeling like I would be happier on something else. But now something has changed again. The more comfortable I've gotten with it and the more I've started to "play", I find myself with a real appreciation for how light and snappy it is. It's like riding a pedal bike but with a lot of power, enough to get me in trouble if I wanted. I had a dentist appointment today and I took the FZ. It's about a 25 minute ride on the freeway (same dentist I've had for a very long time, so I still go there even though I've moved), and man, I was just loving how easy it is to put myself exactly where I want to be with barely a flick of the wrist. It just WANTS to go. So what if the top speed isn't 160mph, it gets up to 100 really quick and anything more is just overkill in the city anyway. Now, when I get home and park it, I can't help but just stare at it for a minute, just like I used to do with my beloved R6.
I know just how you feel. 
Although I haven't owned another motorcycle, I like this one for the same reasons you mentioned, and I did a LOT of research to find a bike that was exactly like this one. It's almost perfect.

I keep wondering if I would "upgrade" now that I have my feet wet as a rider, but honestly, as you mentioned, this thing does anything you ask of it with very little effort and a lot of efficiency, and fun.

If I get another bike, it would only be to allow me to leave this one as-is, the fun commuter, the quick sporter.

What would I do with an FZ-09 for instance realistically, probably have more unused real estate.

I could see myself getting a dirtbike, and/or a sport touring bike for longer distances and perhaps rougher terrain, like the FJ-09, which looks kind of interesting for a long trip. But honestly for most stuff, the FZ seems to be the perfect bike for me.

Databyter

Serious question - if I don't twist the throttle like an idiot (ie: incompetent or reckless), how is a 250cc any safer?

Probably belongs in the new-rider section but anyhow... As an Instructor and while my new riding days were admittedly a few years back, a 250'ish class bike (I would round up to say the GS500e/NC500 class) is good because it really can't get you into trouble unless you deliberately put yourself in that situation. The FZ has pretty decent torque and power which can easily suck a rider into situations they're not really ready for.

I started on a CB750 which admittedly is 50lb heavier than the FZ, has less capable brakes and less torque. I rode it practically every day for a couple hours, whereby I put 23,000 miles on it in that first year. I upgraded the suspension at both ends (GVE+springs, ZRX1200 shocks) too. Then I bought a Triumph 885 Trident and a GS500e at pretty much the same time and swapped off between the three. The muscle of the Triumph was fabulous except only usable on the highway at license-troubling speeds - it's top-heavy weight was dangerous at slow speeds and I am plenty tall. The GS was light, flickable, and a hoot and a holler to ride in anything less than 70mph. My riding skills improved significantly as a result of those 4 months spent riding the GS than the entire year of the CB750. When you are free to experiment and not afraid (if subconsciously) of the bike and what she could do to you, you can make rapid progress. After 4 months the GS became my full-time track bike and I got pretty good at cornering to try to keep up with EX500's and FZR's; a hopeless endeavor but educational and fun.

IMO the FZ is a poor first-bike because it has a lot of power on tap which can do unexpected things or cause situations to develop faster than the rider is able to fully process. Of course, you can and many do choose it as their first and do just fine. But are they as good a rider as they could have been if they had started with something like the small ninja?
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived