The MT-07 Forum

mirror questions.

christenson9

I'm thinking that for now I'm wanting to stay with stock handlebars but get rid of the giant antennas for mirrors that I have now. I'm wanting to run the crg arrow mirrors but if I'm understanding correctly I need the "FZ-style" rhino mounts for them to work on stock bars correct? if somebody could just make this clear to me I would much appreciate it!

There are quite a few ways to mount CRG mirrors onto stock handlebars.

For 50+ bucks range, I think the Rhinomotos you mentioned (70 bucks in this case) are your best bet.

Then there is the 20 dollar CRG internal adapter option. This uses the friction/wedge lock to stay in place.

Then there is the super cheap 1/2 copper pipe method in conjunction with stock bar ends. It works but its kind of sketchy because of how little thread is being screwed into the handlebars and the fact that there is no safeguard on the throttle side if the mirror gets slightly loose it can move and lock the throttle. Basically what it entails is you buying a 1.25 inch long 1/2 inch diameter copper pipe. Cutting it in half to obtain 2 pieces (does home depot offer free pipe cutting? If so, even better), and then sliding it over the stock bar end's screw threads and re-screwing it in the handlebar. What this does is it allows the bar ends to stick out further, and gives you the inner bar of the bar end to clamp on the mirror.  This method was created right here on these forums by a poster, and a few members have done it.  I myself did it but it doesn't quite work for rizoma mirrors so had to ditch the effort.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

booboobusfz07

I bought a 1x5/8x7/8 steel spacer from ace hardware for like 2$ish. Cut in half with a dremel. My bar ends seem totally secure. And with the 1/2 spacer there's still 5ish mm of clearance between my cyclegear mirrors and the grips.
If you look at the bar end the spacer pretty much will just move it out so the edge of the threads are at the edge of the grips.

• Global Moderator

the crg mirrors will mount to the bar itself but it means moving all the controls inboard. drilling new locator holes and adjusting throttle/clutch cables.
@skeeterh the internal adapter will not work with stock bars due to the threads

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
The crg internal adapters won't work?
Not with the stock bar due to m14 threaded inserts welded to the bars. with aftermarkets they will work fine

Is this an assumption based on the threading aspect only or have you actually tried the installation and it didn't work? I only ask because I've installed aftermarket bar ends that use the friction clamps and they installed just fine against the threading.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Global Moderator
Is this an assumption based on the threading aspect only or have you actually tried the installation and it didn't work? I only ask because I've installed aftermarket bar ends that use the friction clamps and they installed just fine against the threading.
I have tried it not with crg bar ends but the speedmetal expansion bar ends from cyclegearhttp://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-Milled-Bar-End
the threads and grip location prevented me from putting any tension on the inside of the bars themselves. the rubber would get pushed out of the bar and expand into the grip itself

Those definitely use different mechanics than the CRG ones. Basically CRG uses a split metal collar that expands outward as you screw it in and this collar should stay in place due to the friction. The CRGs should work on our threaded bars and I'm fairly certain we have a handful of members who have used the CRG adapters on the stock bars based on old threads regarding bar end mirrors. I'll try to find some examples and maybe give the posters a shoutout to confirm whether or not they fully work.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Archived