The MT-07 Forum

got caught in a storm what do I do next?

penguin

I know I'm supposed to re lean and lube the chain, and the swingarm but I'm not sure how to reach in there, is their anything else I should do before I take her back out?

Keep Calm
and
Ride On

You don't need to do anything after riding in the rain once. Relube and wipe down the chain if you want, but bikes are meant to get wet.

As ^^^^ Rob says, its meant to be in the rain. The only time you have to grease the chain, its on a regular mileage schedule, perhaps every 500 miles, perhaps 1000 miles, when you see the chain is getting dry.
As a young punk, I used to grease my mopped chain once a year (used it for daily commutes, back in Paris), and it never failed.
I know, a mopped is not a bike, but this was 40 years ago, when we didn't even have o-ring chains. So don't sweat it and do it when you tight up the chain, about 500/1000 miles.

Guys, guys. First you build a roaring fire (with proper ventilation) and you pour yourself a brandy, lay on a bear skin rug and listen to wizened ancients tell of feats of daring do as sheets of rain and the Almighty's wrath beat them senseless in percussive blows while riding steeds of great power over hill and dale, while maids of unfathomable beauty awaited their gallantry.

Oops, wrong forum...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
Guys, guys. First you build a roaring fire (with proper ventilation) and you pour yourself a brandy, lay on a bear skin rug and listen to wizened ancients tell of feats of daring do as sheets of rain and the Almighty's wrath beat them senseless in percussive blows while riding steeds of great power over hill and dale, while maids of unfathomable beauty awaited their gallantry. 
Oops, wrong forum...
Too bad, I was just getting into the story :) 

Databyter

• Premium Member

When I park my bike in the garage after riding in rain, occasionally the front rotors will stick a little. By that I mean the following day when I go to wheel the bike out, it takes a little nudge to break free. A slight pop and it frees up.

This doesn't mean anything, just an FYI if it happens to you. It hasn't negatively impacted me or my bike as far as I can tell.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

A group of us got caught in a wild thunderstorm in the mountains. The next day I noticed a strange chemical burning smell. I believe it was road salt for snow. When I got home I hosed the stuff off my bike, lubed the chain and all is well.

• Premium Member
A group of us got caught in a wild thunderstorm in the mountains. The next day I noticed a strange chemical burning smell. I believe it was road salt for snow. When I got home I hosed the stuff off my bike, lubed the chain and all is well.

A lot of the time, I think that's antifreeze\\coolant spills getting kicked up on to the bike. It leaves dark brown\\red splotches on hot surfaces, especially the exhaust and smells bizarre.

Everything went braap.

Archived