The MT-07 Forum

Fuel injector and pump rating.

wakecarved

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows the flow rating of the injectors and of the fuel pump or where i can find this information? Thanks in advance.

according to the manual, the pressure at idle is suppose to be 43.5-56.6 psi and the regulated pressure is 47 psi. That puts it right in that 3-4 kgf/cm2 range which i think is pretty much std. for all of these FI systems.

Awesome mate cheers.
Now can anyone do some fancy maths and see if the stock fuel system can handle 5psi of boost or what the fuel supply would need to be upgraded to to handle 5psi of boost? I will of course be double checking the numbers but just need a help along from a more knowledgable mind. Thanks

You want to regulate at 52 psi or 5 psi more than the max in the range, so near 62 psi?

The manual's recommended leak test is done with air pressure. Can't remember what that pressure was, but I think it was in the mid 60s. That doesn't mean it the injectors will work well at that pressure.

Almost afraid to ask why you want to increase the pressure. The fuel delivery into the cylinders is regulated by how long the injectors stay open. Increasing the rail pressure won't change that, but might be hard on the injectors.

He's trying to figure out if the stock injection system can handle 5psi of forced induction. I know most cars systems can handle moderate amounts of boost but have never looked into boosting a bike. They're fast enough as is to me

• Global Moderator

You want to regulate at 52 psi or 5 psi more than the max in the range, so near 62 psi? 
The manual's recommended leak test is done with air pressure. Can't remember what that pressure was, but I think it was in the mid 60s. That doesn't mean it the injectors will work well at that pressure.

Almost afraid to ask why you want to increase the pressure. The fuel delivery into the cylinders is regulated by how long the injectors stay open. Increasing the rail pressure won't change that, but might be hard on the injectors.

Increasing rail pressure will indeed change that... at least it does with my experience of chrysler engines.
on the 1.4l fiat 500. 60psi of fuel rail pressure will deliver ~380cc of fuel into the combustion chamber given the baseline ontime or pulse width.
On the turbo build for the dodge dart(same engine/internals) fuel pressure is increased to ~95 psi with the same injectors and a slightly longer pulse width mapped to the pcm

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Thanks for the answers. Is there a equation for how much fuel the engine needs at 5psi positive forced induction pressure over stock and what duty cycle the injectors would be running at etc?
I would like to get roughly in the ball park before i take the bike to be dyno tuned so they can do it that day.
I would like to keep the stock returnless system but it might be easier to put a return system in for the rising rate reg, bigger pump and injectors. Thanks

I read 5psi of boost and thought fuel pressure boost - lol, my brain was clearly way not thinking Turbo boost! Turbo-ing the little FZ - what a concept!

My Aprilia uses a return line and has a fuel pressure regulator that can be (but not as is) vacuum controlled. With a slipper clutch that's vac operated and an IAC that's in the air box with its own set of hoses to the TBs, it's a real rats nest of hoses under that bike's tank. Can't find anything on the FZ that resembles a std. pressure regulator.

how would you go about adding a return fuel line to the FZ?

sounds like you need something like this http://www.turbokart.com/BEGi.htm

• Global Moderator

You shouldnt need a return line... just a higher rated pressure transducer for the fuel rail
Perhaps the voltage simularity will trick the pcm into over fueling?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The pressure regulator will be inside the fuel tank with the pump and fuel level sender etc all in the one unit. With the turbo fz09 that extreme creations built they made a whole new billet in tank unit.
I could try and modify the in tank pump for a higher flow one but finding one the same size might prove tricky and i would have to do something with the stock regulator so i can fit a rising reg for boost.
If i went a return system i would have to make a custom fuel rail (you can buy all the bits) and i would prob have an external pump and reg to make it easy.
Ive got most of the bits already, im using a gt12 which flows up to 130hp with a 3psi wastegate, a power commander, a wideband unit which has an integrated programable boost controller that when it detects overboost or a lean fuelling situation it will cut the boost back to the wastegates 3 psi spring from whatever boost i had it set at and alot of other bits and pieces i had left over from a turbo car project.
I am currently gathering all my parts and knowledge before i build the manifold and intake plenum. I also need to think about compression ratio although on the turbo fz09 i dont think they changed the compression. I could buy a bigger bike but this is what i do for fun even if it ends up in tears haha.

and I was concerned there was no fuel filter in there, lol

Sounds like a fun project - way over my skill set.

130 hp on a 400 lb bike w/no traction control, abs, or any save yer arse electronics, yikes!

Hope you also give some attention to the bouncy parts - maybe even the brakes.

Archived