The MT-07 Forum

test drove today! Handle bar vibration? And other comments!

jgortner

Howdy,

So I just took a test drive and have mostly positive things to say. Man is this a great bike. But I do have one main question. 

The he only real concern I had during the ride - and I did read about this - was the handle bar vibration. It was not horrible or anything, but definitely noticeable, even during low RPM cruising. I could mitigate it slightly by down shifting. But I had to go really low RPM wise to do so. 

Are there any thoughts on this? I am concerned this would be a problem on longer rides. Where I am just relaxing upright for long periods. 

But otherwise the bike was just gorgeous. It was much more comfortable than I thought it would be. The bike is so light, nimble, and fun to drive. I am just not sure if this is the right bike for longer and more relaxing rides. I'd love any input on this!

• Premium Member

The FZ-07 is not a touring bike. It's just not. This thing is far more at home in the city or on shorter rides. The seat isn't very comfortable, there's no wind protection, and it's light so it gets tossed around a lot more on the freeway/highway. That said, I have been on a couple of several hour long rides and had a good time. I walked a little funny afterward, but the bar vibration never bothered me. I guess it depends on your tolerance and adaptability. I love my bike, but my rides are all pretty short, here to there, work related, etc. I have a blast on it though.

• Premium Member

I can give my opinion as far as longer rides and comfortability since I just took at 1630 mile trip last weekend. Seat comfort after 2 hrs can get a little uncomfortable. By that time though its time to refuel and possibly take a break. If you need better comfort then an upgraded seat will fix that problem to make things better. Wind protection? That depends on the area you're in and weather conditions. There were only a few times the wind was a little excessive but I just leaned forward a little and was fine. Windscreens don't help for me or make things worse because of my height 6' 1". They seem to direct airflow directly at my head causing too much turbulence. Bar vibration for me wasn't bad. You can also put on better grips to solve that as well. Most comments and opinions are just what it is. Opinionated based off his/her experiences. You can have your own experience and may not see things the exact same way.

Bar vibration, though slight, is fairly normal. You can upgrade to the Yamaha FZ6R bar ends that are a little heftier. I am on the same page as these other two fellas thinking that the FZ07 is not the bike for long, touring type rides. If you like the feel of the Yamaha and want something with a nice upright position and good for longer rides I would suggest possibly looking at the FJ-09

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I mostly ride the back roads with an occasional short hop on the highway on weekends.  My speeds may reach 75 on the highway and average 45 on the back roads. These trips usually last 2 hours per day trip.  I don't have a problem with handlebar vibrations that I notice during these rides.  My butt usually needs a break after I reach the 2 hour mark of a ride. I do plan on upgrading the front forks and rear shock. I am 5' 10" and weigh 195 lbs but this bike is not setup for my weight.  I mostly notice the suspension flaws if I push the bike in the twisties.

I don't notice much for vibration or it does not bother me.

The seat is par with almost any other stock seat on motorcycles. Most will give you a sore arse after a couple hours. Because of the leg position its easy to take weight off your posterior or even stand up to stretch.

I've found the 07 quite comfy for touring. Yes, the wind will get to your arms and shoulders at high speeds. At normal speeds its not bad at all. A good helmet is key.

Because of the low height and small footprint of the 07 crosswinds will not blow you into oncoming traffic or off the road like a tall adventure bike.

Many change the grips, the seat, and install a windscreen for added comfort. Find an upholsterer that specializes in motorcycle seats might be the best and possibly the cheapest.

I'm loving my 07 totally stock.

Define going "really low" in the rpms? I've noticed that people who ride 250s/300s keep the revs at 8k+ rpm when cruising around on their FZ07, which is asinine. Cruising rpms are 4-5k for this bike.

It's a syncopated vibration, which is easier to handle than the buzz of an inline 4. Thicker grips, heavier bar ends, lighter grip on the bars, and just being looser in general helps out.

• Premium Member

I've done almost nothing to mine and I'm still in love with it. I only recently got rid of the fender and man, it made such an enormous difference that, to me, it doesn't even look like the same bike. Something about it....the lines, I dunno. It just looks different, BETTER. Everything else is just tweaking and I don't have the money for most of the things I would like to get, like a lower sub cowl. I think this bike is damn near perfect for me.

• Premium Member

Test driving a bike, I might be a little nervous. Then I might grip harder and fatigue myself faster. It subconsciously happens to me in stressful traffic or weather.

So in the end, you may notice vibes ease up as you get comfortable.

If you were buying a bike specifically to do long distance cruises, there are better options. But if you're like me and occasionally do long distance stuff, the FZ can be made to work for most people.

Everything went braap.

I've done a 2 hour long stretch. My back and butt took the brunt of the discomfort. I did not notice any handlebar vibrations. I do have a long barend plus barend mirrors though, it is far heavier than stock barend so that might help with vibration.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I don't notice any bar vibrations only cause I'm coming from some serious
Vibrating bikes. Honda Grom Bored to 200cc ( a lot of vibes) and an old 1970 cb350. I can't say it vibrates anymore then my buddies zx6r. JMO.

Although I just got my bike less then a week ago and never ridden a touring bike, I find the seat is really comfortable compared to other bikes I've ridden and have. I'm 6ft 145lbs and love this beautiful machine.

Honda Grom
CB 350

• Premium Member

I've not found it a problem at all on my example, especially compared to other twins. Though I doubt there are significant differences in this regard, it may be that the engine balance of some bikes is on one end of the spec allowance and other bikes on the far extreme. Production of the best varies to some extent. But, even so, I doubt the difference would be great enough to be noticeable by mere mortals.

I recently took a 12 hour ride and didn't really notice vibration. Now my old 04 Ninja 250, that vibrated a lot past 55 mph. Even so I'd still ride it for hours on the highway. I didn't care. I loved that bike.

• Premium Member

Hi - I did many day tours (200 - 350 miles) on my FZ07 and while it is no tourer, I never had any comfort issues.

But you might consider a few upgrades. I got new handlebars and heavier bar-ends, a windshield and a more comfortable seat. There are quite a few threads in the forum about these upgrades.

Go for it!

Love to ride!

• 2 months later...

I guess it would depend on what RPM range you usually ride.
According to motorcycle-usa, it buzzes a lot around the 8k rpm range, which is the bike's powerband.

Quite often getting larger gears (gears are further apart), by getting a larger front sprocket, and/or a smaller rear sprocket, do vibrations lessen; not only because you might get off that vibration peak around 8k RPM, but also because it appears an engine under load vibrates less in a certain RPM than pulling that same load (a slightly lesser load with reduced gearing) in a higher RPM.

The opposite is also true, when the engine starts lugging, it also vibrates more.

I notice a bit of vibration above 5000 rpms (mostly see it in the mirrors) but its not enough to bother me or cause fatigue.

I have owned a number of Bikes over the years and they all had Some vibration, some worse than others. The FZ is pretty fair in that department, IMO.

Although you CAN tour with the FZ07, and a number of our members here DO tour with it, my own experience would lead me to a bigger, heavier bike for that task.
( At 6'3" 240 Lbs,,,,, I am a bigger, heavier guy,,,,,,so take my above opinion with a grain of salt,,,,lol).

IMO, the advantages of the FZ07 is that it is Light, Quick, Nimble, and has more than enough muscle, with a powerband that cannot help but bring a Smile to your face when you ride......Its very much at home in city traffic and any Twisty stretch of road that you may  find yourself on.

If you haven't decided yet, no one can say you will be as comfortable on a long road trip because people are different but there definitely are more bikes out there that were designed specifically for longer, more relaxing rides. You may want a touring bike, this isn't a touring bike. 

Beemer

recurveshooter
For a 700cc vertical twin this thing is REALLY smooth. I got rid of my old Triumph and Ducati twins in part because they vibrated as badly as they did.
Concerning touring? I think you can tour on it (I've done 250 mile days comfortably) but if touring is what your looking for there are better bikes.
Last thing... the saddle. I mentioned this a few months back. I'm also a bicyclist and have padded shorts. You can get some of these with really thick pads (mine are maybe 3/8" thick). Slip them on over your underwear and under your jeans and life is good. They make things really comfortable on longer rides.... and they are cheap by comparison with a new saddle. (Don't be tempted to buy big box shorts. Go to a bike store)

recurveshooter

• Premium Member

Getting the ECU reflashed by 2 wheel dyno works will reduce the vibrations so much you think the vibrations are gone...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

If you haven't decided yet, no one can say you will be as comfortable on a long road trip because people are different but there definitely are more bikes out there that were designed specifically for longer, more relaxing rides. You may want a touring bike, this isn't a touring bike. 
What would you say, determines this bike is not a touring bike? 
I find the weight, and power ratio excellent. In fact, most touring bikes aren't touring bikes to my standard.
They have 800 to 1600cc engines, that smoke fuel like a crackhead on steroids.
A good touring bike would probably be a 400-500cc to me.
The FZ-07 is well above that.
Add some trunks/side luggage cases or bags, and a windshield, and it's pretty much a touring bike.
The lighter weight works in favor of touring IMHO.
The better fuel consumption (though not the best) does at well.
If Yamaha made the same bike with a 500cc I would probably have wanted that bike as a touring bike instead.

• Premium Member

My dad has a gold wing and has ridden straight for 14 hours with normal stops. While I don't think I could do that on the FZ I think 8 to 10 hours it totally within my limits and I plan on doing that next year ( I've done more than 5 hours in one day so far) . To stop every few hours for gas and stretch heck I do that when I'm in a car. I try to limit the drive/ride time these days, when you push it, it takes away the fun IMO.

Vibration doesn't bother me. I think this bike puts the check marks in all the right boxes for me. I still dream of something faster but I have to face it I will not be going much faster in the corners than I already am on the street and that's the best part of having a bike IMO is going threw the curves. Horse power is fun but this bike has plenty where you want it. This bike is just Fun.
( I might be a little hard core by some standards my commute is 130 miles a day and 40 degrees is plenty warm to ride for me ) 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

What would you say, determines this bike is not a touring bike? 
I find the weight, and power ratio excellent. In fact, most touring bikes aren't touring bikes to my standard.
They have 800 to 1600cc engines, that smoke fuel like a crackhead on steroids.
A good touring bike would probably be a 400-500cc to me.
The FZ-07 is well above that.
Add some trunks/side luggage cases or bags, and a windshield, and it's pretty much a touring bike.
The lighter weight works in favor of touring IMHO.
The better fuel consumption (though not the best) does at well.
If Yamaha made the same bike with a 500cc I would probably have wanted that bike as a touring bike instead.
Well, when you put it that way sure, it can be 'turned into' a decent touring bike but from the factory it is a naked and not set up 'accessory wise' for touring. I would still be scared to try a long haul on the FZ-07 with bags and all because the seat isn't comfortable for long trips. Of course that can be remedied too but I was talking about 'from the factory' when I said it wasn't a touring bike. 

Beemer

Compared to most other twins and some fours as well, the -07 is super smooth. My old 79 Triumph T140E vibrated so badly that tail light bulbs blew every 100 miles and it eventually cracked the stainless steel rear mudguard clean through. I've had two Yamaha TRX850s (sports version of the TDM850 for our USA cousins! :)), and they weren't in the T140 category, but even with twin balance shafts they both vibrated more than the -07. What little vibration there is through the -07 bars doesn't make my hands go numb like some fours do (03 Z1000 and all year model Suzuki Bandits). And the worst of all... a 1997 Yamaha Seca II, an air-cooled 600 four that I couldn't ride for more than an hour without having to stop and massage my left hand back to life. Truly the worst motorcycle I've owned, not just because of the vibes. So if you are concerned about vibrations, I'd suggest riding a few 650-700 class alternatives, such as the ER650N, the SV650, the Triumph Street Triple and maybe the CB650F just to compare vibration levels. I'm sure you'll discover the -07 is actually very smooth! Good luck...

Archived