The MT-07 Forum

oem fz07 frame (side) sliders

mhakkola

The OEM engine guards work very well at low speed drops - both sides.   
Here's the long version.  My 5'4" wife currently rides a 250 V Star - her first motorcycle, and she loves riding - 8,000 miles on weekends over the past year or so, including 3 trips of about 1,000 Miles each.  I got the FZ07 with the hope she'd like it and move up. She can just tip-toe on flat ground, so I figured we'll get a lowering kit if she's interested. Then I'll, get another one for me.

I rode the bike home from the dealer.  We went for a ride  on day 2, with her on the FZ07.  She loves it, but had 2 tip overs at 0 mph.  One on each side.  The side guards worked great.  They have minor scratches on the plastic and only little scuffs on the bar ends.  She loves the acceleration, the upright position and the nimble handling: it's just too tall for her.

The lowering kit is on its way, and I expect I'll be shopping for my own FZ-07 by January.  

I need some advice.  Our first FZ07 is red.  What color should I get for the next one?  Is a second Red one to Matchy-Matchy?  We have 2 kids in their 20's and we don't want to be mocked.
where did you order the lowering kit from? I'm not tiptoe-ing but rather on the base of my toes (i'm 5'6)... wondering if i should try lowering it

After a good bit of research, we found the following solution from Wild Hare Accessories:

http://www.whaccessories.com/Lowering-Kits-Yamaha.htm

For what it's worth, the parts are German ABE or TÜV approval. I am not an expert on those certifications, but if it's good enough for the fussy German government, I feel a bit better. The 2" lowering link we got has a warning that it's for single riders only. Given Linda's 120 pound weight, I'm not too concerned about the loss of travel. They also have a 1" kit without the single rider restriction. We had it installed by a local suspension shop. They followed the instructions and added their expertise. Part of the process is lowering the front forks in their clamps to keep the geometry about the same.

That was in December. There may be more options out there by now.

Archived