The MT-07 Forum

First ride with Shoei Neotec

phyciocc

• Premium Member

Hello everyone.
Today I had a pleasant 100 miles ride in Eastern Kentucky. It was a perfect day to try out my new modularhelmet, a Shoei Neotec in Brilliant Yellow (from Revzilla).
First of all fit: very good. I measured my noggin' at 59 cm and went with a large and indeed if fit well, snugly everywhere (top and side). Perhaps a bit too snug on the cheeck, but it will conform to my face with a couple of uses (I think).

Compared to my 4 years old AGV Miglia (another modular), everything is nice and tight. The face shield closes with a pleasant "thunk" and all the controls (sun visor, chin and top vent) operated with a positive action.

The face shield is very clear, and of a much better optical quality the the AGV's. I like the sun visor, which does not interfere at all with my glasses.
Speaking of which: putting on glasses (with the face shield open, of course :) ), is very easy. There is room for them, they stay put and the helmet does not pull them in awkward position.
What a change!

The chin strap is the classic double-d. I never liked it in other helmets and I don't like it in this one. It is simple and keeps the helmet tight and safe, but I always have trouble with it. Oh well...

In motion: I have a windshield (Madstad) but is well below my line of sight. The helmet was very steady, and no buffeting of any sort.

With the old AGV, if I turned my head sideways, I could feel very clearly the difference in aerodynamic behavior. Almost none with the Shoei. Granted, one should not run with his head sideways (bad juju if you do that for very long :) ), but it was easy to check over the shoulder for traffic with the Shoei, much less with the AGV.

Can't comment much on ventilation (temperature today was only in the mid 60's ), but it should be fine.

Overall I am happy with the new helmet: is a quite dear at almost $600, but it seems that it's going to be a good one.

Marco

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

• Global Moderator

@phyciocc, you should add a photo and link and post this review in the contest board. It might win you $100.

Archived